• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Playing live via Facebook, Zoom, other "video conference"

Search the treads of your local area, introduce yourself and get to know players near you. Use these rooms to discuss and plan your next game night.

Playing live via Facebook, Zoom, other "video conference"

Postby Kurgan » March 17th, 2020, 5:39 pm

Hey folks, as cool as it would be to play in person, now that there are Covid-19 fears around, some of you may have tried this.

I played Hero Quest with a family member over facebook live video (rather than Skype, which had compatibility issues). I used my HQ set, pointed the webcam at the board (and did closeups for cards/figure introductions/die rolls/etc). He was an experienced player and had his own set of dice, but I think it went pretty well. I didn't have an expensive setup, a couple of smartphones/laptops did the trick, and I did use a cheap free-standing microphone. Every so often I would have to point the camera or hold something up for clarification (if it was hard to see). As Zargon I was a little more lenient, since the heroes couldn't see their surroundings so perfectly as with a board on both sides, but it worked.

Now if both parties have a board set, it could be easier. I haven't tried any of the software produced out there for "live" games, but that might be interesting. Still, I prefer this because we can use all our house rules without worry.

I never tried Google hangouts or twitch, but I wonder how easy it is to have a bunch of people logged in from various locations all "playing" this way? I am all for options that are free and work for a variety of computer setups.

Edit: Zoom seems to work well!
Last edited by Kurgan on June 13th, 2021, 8:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Playing live via Facebook / or other "video conference"

Postby Anderas » March 18th, 2020, 2:02 am

Well, this piqued my interest for sure.

I am at home, too, and we played risk and UNO often enough now.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » March 21st, 2020, 3:55 pm

There's also tabletop simulator, but that assumes you have steam accounts and there's the house rules and custom content to consider...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Jafazo » March 22nd, 2020, 2:01 pm

I can see a complete game running this way. If everyone has a camera they can direct it at their hero card, papers and dice tray with no real need to put your face out there. Then Zargon could point his camera at the board and move it around as needed. A dedicated Zargon could even set up two or more cameras.

I think the idea's solid and isn't primitive at all compared to software because you're leaning more toward actual table top play as opposed to online play. You can use a special miniature you like whereas through software there would be integration problems etc. You could even live stream it to try and drum up interest in the game again.
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » March 22nd, 2020, 4:24 pm

Yeah, if everyone has their own board, they could be following along, using their own pieces (for the equivalent of any special pieces that Zargon uses)...

We assume people have at least the game system, but I've now seen people playing using paper standees instead of miniatures, printed cards, tile based furniture and even standard six sided dice for combat... (5 or 6 for white shields, 1 for black shields, 2-4 as skulls). You can print a board too, but that's more work... Really only Zargon needs a set, the rest can follow along, but I think having at least some dice is best, though Zargon isn't supposed to be cheating anyway with rolls. ;)

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby LurchBrick » March 25th, 2020, 6:56 am

Not sure if you've seen this old thread about using the Vassal program to play HQ online: http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=867

I've used it to play many games over the years.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
LurchBrick

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » March 25th, 2020, 8:49 am

I've thought about this, as well. I'm not up to speed on all of these sites where one can play
games online...and I've never really used skype. I did discover a new site yesterday...Zoom.
Supposedly they only give you 40 minutes at a time for free, but with the global shutdown
they have waived that for now. That offers video and audio capabilities.

I just doubt that I would be able to keep up with anything, simply because of how our
family and work schedule go. Yes...I'm one of the unfortunates who still must go into
work - only because my office refuses to put any effort into making it so those in my
position can work from home. And I work at night, so by the time I get up we have
dinner, and then kids' time for a bit, then reading and bed. And then it is 9pm.

So...um...yeah.

I am actually looking at possibly posting something on twitter soon, however. Either
just an adventure that people can run through by themselves, or possibly offering
choices and writing on based on which gets voted for most.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Anderas » March 25th, 2020, 9:27 am

torilen wrote:I've thought about this, as well. I'm not up to speed on all of these sites where one can play
games online...and I've never really used skype. I did discover a new site yesterday...Zoom.
Supposedly they only give you 40 minutes at a time for free, but with the global shutdown
they have waived that for now. That offers video and audio capabilities.

I just doubt that I would be able to keep up with anything, simply because of how our
family and work schedule go. Yes...I'm one of the unfortunates who still must go into
work - only because my office refuses to put any effort into making it so those in my
position can work from home. And I work at night, so by the time I get up we have
dinner, and then kids' time for a bit, then reading and bed. And then it is 9pm.

So...um...yeah.

I am actually looking at possibly posting something on twitter soon, however. Either
just an adventure that people can run through by themselves, or possibly offering
choices and writing on based on which gets voted for most.

Make sure to post a link

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » March 25th, 2020, 1:33 pm

Yeah Zoom is worth a look for this kind of thing. I’ve started using it for work to stay in face to face contact with colleagues, and I think it could be good for Heroquest.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » March 25th, 2020, 6:22 pm

Vassal and the rest of those free game simulators are cool, but again, for me it's the difficulty of using house rules. Still, neat that these options exist for "live" gaming while we're hunkering down...

I'm in the Central time zone and I too am (so far) still working outside my home during the week.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next