• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Seeking members for email or play-by-post

Search the treads of your local area, introduce yourself and get to know players near you. Use these rooms to discuss and plan your next game night.

Seeking members for email or play-by-post

Postby torilen » October 14th, 2009, 4:28 am

Okay, so I've been going on forums all over seeking people to play-by-post or to play by email.
Apparently, not that many people like HeroQuest, so I haven't had much luck yet.
Maybe here, I will.

I've taken the original rules, and nearly all of the fan material from this site and thrown
it all together, sifted through it, and made something that is as simple as the original
system (I hope), but is more exciting and more expansive, as far as options and playability
are concerned.

One major difference - there are no classes and more races - you can make a character
as you desire, based on leveling up with experience and gaining feats. I am tossing around
the idea of changing the spell groups. I am not set on this, though - so if anyone is interested
in playing, but wants to use the normal spell groups, let me know - that is fine with me.
OH YEAH - I have also added a third ability score - Spirit

My House Rules can be found here:
http://sites.google.com/site/thenewgamesystem/home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please realize that I am in the process of changing the names of feats and a few other things,
so as to negate the possibility of copyright issues as much as possible.

If you're interested - I have the email on the home page there, just let me know. I also have a
google group set up for a play-by-post if anyone wants to do that.
I am willing to take anywhere from 3 to 8 or 10 players for my game(s) personally. If more people
are interested, maybe we can all work together to have more than one group playing in the same
world (even the same region), and maybe have interaction between the different groups at some point.
I can probably get all that set up and worked out if it comes to it - I've been thinking about it for a while,
and have come up with some good ideas.

So...again, if anyone is interested, just email me at the email on the above home page. If not, at least
look at the "new" system I've put together and enjoy.

Thanks
Matthew


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin
 
Posts: 2081
Joined: October 9th, 2009, 4:18 am
Location: Virginia, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Seeking members for email or play-by-post

Postby Skulmar » May 1st, 2010, 1:34 am

I might be interested first time I read this thread maybe the game your trying to describe is more true role-playing game. I always thought that Hero Quest the board game was what a role playing game was!


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog.
Skulmar

Skeleton
Skeleton
 
Posts: 28
Joined: August 22nd, 2009, 2:37 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Seeking members for email or play-by-post

Postby el_flesh » May 1st, 2010, 7:58 am

How will the dice rolls work then?
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Image


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled
 
Posts: 1315
Images: 4
Joined: April 25th, 2010, 4:38 pm
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Seeking members for email or play-by-post

Postby torilen » May 2nd, 2010, 7:08 pm

SO...as you can tell - the description I have in that first posting is quite different from the rules i have up now.
Sorry about that - I honestly was working with a classless/leveless system that I had put together - if you were
interested in that, we could still play with that.

It was getting to be problematic, though, and I figured I might be able to drum up some interest if I put that
regular rules back the way they should be, with the usual HQ characters, and a couple of additions.

You'll also notice there are quite a few new monsters I've added. I did this to add a lot of options and depth
to the gaming.

As far as the dice go - if you have a set of HQ dice, we can use those. I'll have to trust whoever is playing to
be honest with telling me what their rolls are. OR, if you wanted, I could make all the rolls and tell you who rolled
what - no problems there. I also have a MS Excel spreadsheet set up that we could use that makes the rolls for you.
Only problem with that - you'd need a newer version of Excel - it would have to have a newer formula that allows for
random number generation.

If you don't have the HQ dice - normal six-sided dice are fine - basically, it works like this:
3,4, and 5 = skulls; 1 and 2 = white shields; 6 = black shields

So - make another posting here if you're interested, or send me a message - either here or at
zargonheroquest@gmail.com


OH - skulmar - as far as role-playing game vs. board game goes. We could use the board if you want - really, a role-playing
game is more like old style D&D, if you've ever played that or heard about it. More description about what is going on around
you, you decide what to do, and go from there - no constraints of a board or put-together furniture. Anything and everything
can happen. Realize, there is an entire world outside of the dungeon/castle walls.

So, what I'm saying is this - if you two want to use the board and stick with the board game as is, or we could not use the board
and I can write you a world filled with all sorts of characters, monsters, dungeons, castles, etc.

Again, just let me know. Thanks for being interested. I've been trying to get this together for a while.

Matthew


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin
 
Posts: 2081
Joined: October 9th, 2009, 4:18 am
Location: Virginia, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Seeking members for email or play-by-post

Postby el_flesh » May 2nd, 2010, 7:35 pm

I'd need at least a map to look down on - there's programs enough we could use for that I think.
I also think a random roll generator would indeed be the way to go. How could it be instantaneous for us?
I would like to use some sort of Necromancer - there are rules & spells enough to choose from.
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Image


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled
 
Posts: 1315
Images: 4
Joined: April 25th, 2010, 4:38 pm
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Seeking members for email or play-by-post

Postby torilen » May 3rd, 2010, 12:46 pm

I'm working on putting together a Google Group. I can upload files there - I would probably use MS PowerPoint. I could have maps, information, basically
whatever you would need in one file. I could upload one every few days, after all players have discussed what they want to do.
Google Groups also has a discussion board on the group where everyone can post and decide what they want to do. THEN, I suppose after there has been
some discussion, you could give me a final description of what you do.

And I could also upload the Excel file for the roller. Its easy to use.

I'll put something together, and get back on here in a day or two to let you know what I've got.

OH - el flesh - no problem on the necromancer. Probably, It'd be similar to the wizard, but with a couple of changes. I've put one together before -
the main special power of the necromancer I made is this: Any time he personally kills a creature, he can immediately roll 1d6 - on a roll of 5 or 6,
he can raise that creature as a skeleton that he can control. I think you could control it for a certain amount of time, and would eventually be able to
upgrade the undead that you would raise, and/or would be able to raise more at one time. Something like that.

But yes, we could do that if you would like.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin
 
Posts: 2081
Joined: October 9th, 2009, 4:18 am
Location: Virginia, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Seeking members for email or play-by-post

Postby el_flesh » May 3rd, 2010, 3:36 pm

using Raise Undead as a spell card, I propose: 1-3 skeleton, 4-5 zombie, 6 mummy; cost to necro : 2 body points
The necromancer we play :
6 body, 5 mind
starts with dagger; same shop restrictions as wizard
1 attack 2 defense
regains ONE body point when ANY adjacent creature OR hero is slain - even through walls.

But the spell cards can be decided on still - necro should get at least six spell cards; 3 of which deal in raising undead, since that's what he DOES.

We have found in playing that the gain body points back is absolutely essential... even still, he can get dangerously low!
Image

DEAD Necro!

(isn't that an oxymoron?)
Last edited by el_flesh on May 4th, 2010, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Image


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled
 
Posts: 1315
Images: 4
Joined: April 25th, 2010, 4:38 pm
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Seeking members for email or play-by-post

Postby Skulmar » May 4th, 2010, 1:13 am

I am definetly interested in this game put me down as the ELF. I prefer a board but would play regardless!


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog.
Skulmar

Skeleton
Skeleton
 
Posts: 28
Joined: August 22nd, 2009, 2:37 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Seeking members for email or play-by-post

Postby el_flesh » May 4th, 2010, 10:35 am

So we have two players and a DM...

How many more players needed?
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Image


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled
 
Posts: 1315
Images: 4
Joined: April 25th, 2010, 4:38 pm
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Seeking members for email or play-by-post

Postby torilen » May 5th, 2010, 9:17 am

You know the old saying, "A DM and two players, a game do make..."

Okay, well, its not an old saying, but it is true. We're good to start as is - I was working
on it last night - I'll have something posted hopefully this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon.
As I said, I'll be putting the info on a google groups site - drathe has told me that we can't
use this site as a play-by-post site. Not a problem though. I'll post the google group
address today or tomorrow - I think I need your email addresses, so I can send you
invites to the group. You can send those to me at zargonheroquest@gmail.com

If you don't really want to give me your usual email, I understand. Maybe you could start
up a google email, just for this. That's what I did - that email above...that's what that
is. :)

I've got a region map put together, and writing up the information you would need
to know to start with. You've already got the address for the rules site - I've put up
a few new things - added a few armors, put up all the spells needed, a potions list,
things like that.

I will also use the board for a lot of the adventure scenarios, encounters, battles, etc.
There will be some stuff without using the board, some role-playing stuff that won't
really need the board.

I'll post the dice roller I made with Excel. Again, you'll need a newer formula - it can be
downloaded off the web. If you don't want to do that, or don't like the one I made, I think
drathe has one you can use...just message him about it.

El Flesh - I've put up the Necromancer character - its sort of a mix of what we were talking about
- I think you'll be pleased with it.

Skulmar - you've got the Elf.

For both of you - start thinking about what equipment you might want to buy - I'll decide on the
starting gold for you soon, so you can put your characters together. Also start thinking of ideas
for how you two got to where you are, and how you started adventuring together. You can talk
some on the groups discussion once we start.

NOW - let me ask an important question, so I know how and what to plan for.
How realistic do you want the world to be? I mean, the HQ rules don't really lend themselves for
much realism - you know, its not nearly as much like real life as some fantasy RPG's are.
The reason I ask - what I was thinking was this: an example would be the population of
settlements. villages would have an average of 10 inhabitants, towns maybe 20, and cities
would have around 35. I know its not real-life - but, it would allow me to really put together some
good NPC's for you to interact with, and could add a lot of depth to the world around your characters,
as opposed to a town filled with 2000-4000 inhabitants that have no background, no personality, and
that will probably never interact with you at all.

How does that sound??

All right, that's all for now. thanks
matthew


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin
 
Posts: 2081
Joined: October 9th, 2009, 4:18 am
Location: Virginia, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Next

Return to Games In Your Area!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest