• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The Inn's Modular System for House Rules

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Do you think a Modular System of House Rules would be an advantage for us as HQ players?

Poll ended at September 21st, 2011, 2:10 pm

Yes, I like the concept and would perhaps contribute to it.
54%
It would certainly be an advantege and I would definitely use it myself.
8%
I think it's a good idea, but I'm unsure about the outcome, will wait for the result.
15%
I will pehaps use it sometimes.
No votes
I'm utterly unconcerned.
8%
I don't like the idea, but wait for the result until I judge.
No votes
I don't like the idea and won't use it, but don't mind you to go on with it. To each his own!
8%
I openly oppose the concept. Don't restrict the fantasys of authors!
No votes
Nothing of the above, but generally Yes
8%
Nothing of the above, but generally No
No votes

Total votes : 13

Re: Advancement - how to do it?

Postby iKarith » March 21st, 2021, 6:16 pm

Bareheaded Warrior wrote:
by whitebeard » Today, 1:43 am

The Wizard progresses okay in the base game. Cloak, ring, staff, wand. Assuming you don't let the Elf keep these, the Wizard is decked out in artifacts. More importantly the player learns to play him better... always cast Stone Skin on your first turn.

Leveling means you have to write crap down.

Agreed, all the Heroes can advance through players learning to play them better (and working together better) and can advance via Quest Treasures but the primary advancement is better weapons and armour which are not available to the Wizard, I feel that he needs a different route.

I also want to minimise having to write crap down

iKarith

I agree Mind Points feel unimplemented or at least only partially implemented and the Magic system cries out for something, I'm just not sure exactly what, but I have experimented with multiple house rules around movement and over many generations have come back to using it just as it is, it works.

The US edition uses an armoury and records them on the character sheet, thus reducing the cards and US some Monsters have more than 1 BP.

You CAN take a fallen comrade's equipment or treasure and use them to help you survive.

And the privacy screen is to hide the Quest Map and notes and provides a quick reference

I agree the game has flaws, nothing is perfect, but I don't agree with some of the flaws you have listed.

For what it's worth, I don't agree with all of the flaws I listed. I went down the laundry list of complaints I've read and seen people trying to fix.

Roll to move or don't doesn't bother me. At the end of the game it can get a bit tedious if people are on their way out with nothing following them. If the game had some threat metric to make anything other than "and that's it, we're all making a beeline for the exit, opening no doors, we're done".

One thing I'd do with any group of gamers who might have seen the quest book before is remake the map for Quest 6. All the rooms, all the corridors, but … no chance they know ahead of time where the traps are, where their stuff is, etc.
<InSpectreRetro> All hail Zargon!!! Morcar only has 1BP.

Rewards:
Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Re: Advancement - how to do it?

Postby Kurgan » September 15th, 2021, 8:35 pm

How about this... "Post Quest Haste."

Once the monsters have been defeated and the main goal completed, all Heroes can now move their full roll movement... 12 squares each per turn.
Zargon can still draw threat cards if there are no monsters on his turn, but this way the Heroes can just get to the end by exiting the spiral staircase, do any extra exploring they might want (searching areas they didn't before) and finish the quest up without feeling like they just flipped the table due to boredom or whatever. If any monsters do appear, movement goes back to normal (until the dungeon is empty of monster figures again).

It's an idea anyway!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby iKarith » June 21st, 2022, 9:59 am

I like it … Quest 3 might still need some work because that one the objective isn't reached until you carry the chests out the entrance, and it's intended to be a slow slog so that there's room for fighting among the players about who keeps one. But I always thought that without that UK rules mechanic in the quest, there almost needs to be a secret door to the exit that can only be found after you get down to where the gold is.
<InSpectreRetro> All hail Zargon!!! Morcar only has 1BP.

Rewards:
Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » June 21st, 2022, 10:38 am

Holding the chests with the "haste" homebrew rule would still get to move 6 squares each turn (not counting any boosts from potions or spells of course).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Count Mohawk » June 22nd, 2022, 1:22 am

Kurgan wrote:How about this... "Post Quest Haste."

Once the monsters have been defeated and the main goal completed, all Heroes can now move their full roll movement... 12 squares each per turn.

To get around the problems with things like the Magnus Gold chests, you could keyword Haste as "Heroes count all red dice rolled for movement as natural 6's." Easy fix.
So Heroes under "normal" conditions get two dice, which is 12. Slow Heroes, or Heroes wearing Plate Mail, get a 6. Cast Swift Wind? Move 24. And so on.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » June 22nd, 2022, 12:50 pm

Unlikely that anyone would have plate already (unless you were playing out of order as we were) but it still gives you 1d6 for the chests regardless of your other encumbrance. A technique used by some GMs is the old "place is exploding/flooding" mechanic to force you to move forward.

As kids we just played it straight, and swift wind meant 2 dice. It was a different mentality and attitude back then. A lot of times playing Prince Magnus and Sir Ragnar with grown-ups (before the introduction of the Zargon cards) we just declared it a "win" and said they made it to the exit safely without actually plotting it out, which is certainly the most boring "fix."

Forcing the heroes to "earn it" is something that's more easily done for kids, but if Zargon can come up with something, by all means. A lot of quests later on retain the staircase as a way to RUN AWAY (and fail the quest, but still be alive) after all. More immersive than a simple mulligan, do-over, etc.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Re: The Inn's Modular System for House Rules

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » July 1st, 2022, 9:20 am

Deep breath of life to revive what I hope is the correct thread, the "The Inn's Modular System for House Rules"

This was an interesting read, which seems to have died out but I am a fair way through my own project of modularising the official rules so that I can put my own house rules into a proper framework when I discovered this and thought that if I can do it for mine then why not try and do it co-operatively for the benefit of one and all

What are we trying to achieve?

What we are after here if I understand it correctly, is providing a context, structure, framework* that allows other to insert their own house rules and allow them to be debated – and understood, perhaps even torn apart and then a new improved house rule can be stitched together out of the best parts of the original suggestions and brought to life - possibly with some involvement of lightning.

*Possibly this is what is referred to by the term 'paratext' or 'peritext' but as I only discovered those words today, I may well not be using them correctly! Those more technically minded may understand this better as metadata.

If this is just a way of organising proposed house rules that is one thing, but I think we would need to start with a base set of official rules and modularise those, partly so that there is some context for people's house rules to plug into (especially as their house rules may not just involve adding a new rule to an area, but may also include changes to an official rule or changes to the text of an official rule to clarify the original meaning or even removing of an official rule and/or any combination of the above) and also because fitting the original rule text into a modular framework would be a good way of testing the framework itself as any original text left over that didn’t fit into the framework would indicate the framework isn’t compete revision!

That base, once modularised would have to be organised, referenced, structured, number, sub-divided, decompose and broken down to keep clarity as to which bit people are making changes to, which section does your new rule belong to, which original rule does your clarification belong to, where are you making changes

1. The first question, which version do we start with for our base text, the general vibe that I get from the forums is probably the US edition (as it is the most recent that doesn’t scream copyright infringement or at least it does so quietly) and to be fair this is perhaps a less crucial decision as starting with the US edition and then including the UK 2nd Edition version as a variant is little different than the other way around
Note: Consider adding other versions especially UK 1st Edition & 2nd Edition as “variants” or “alternative versions” as if they were someone’s house rules

2. The second question is the far more important and thornier one, the structure that we organise these base rules into must be agreed upon before the original text can be modularised, and before any forum structure is implemented as the forum/room/topics created and can’t really be changed easily after that time and any rework after this point would be costly

So, the structure – we take a version of the rules and without changing the actual text we rearrange them into a structure, which consists of several levels and label, number, categorise and organise this text, but how…

My first thought on this was the Bible (odd as I’m not remotely religious) but maybe I was divinely inspired.

The Bible is divided into Books, each book is sub-divided into Chapters and each Chapter into Verses making it easy to identify, locate and cross-reference any individual verse (effectively a paragraph)

So, to overlay this with a HeroQuest flavour or theme…
• "Bible" refers to the whole complete work / book would become “Rule tome” or “The Tome of Rules”
• "Book" Need something to represent a theme/section like 'Exploration', 'Combat' (The Book of Combat), it has been suggested that “The Lore of Combat” has a nice ring to it.
• "Chapter" Need a sub-division of book/lore representing a sub-section/chapter like ‘The Lore of Combat’ may be decomposed into ‘Close Attack', ‘Diagonal Attack,’ ‘Ranged Attack,’ ‘Throwing Weapons,’ ‘Defence’ etc or ‘The Lore of Exploration’ may be decomposed into ‘Movement,’ ‘Jumping Pits’, ‘Navigating the Board’, ‘Looking’, ‘Opening Doors’
• "Verse" Need a final level for each individual paragraph – rule

4. How do we structure this on the site itself?

Look at the way that the forum is arranged today and transpose what this would mean - how it would translate, where would it sit?

The Board (Index) - Rooms (Ye Olde Inn, Fantasy Gaming Room etc) - I presume this would be in the HeroQuest Room - Forum (HeroQuest Additions, Official HeroQuest Releases) I assume 'HeroQuest Additions' - Subforums (Cards, Heroes, Rules) I assume 'Rules' and then under that you have 'Topics'

Assuming the above is loosely correct, if Rule tome is a topic "Our Bible" then how can we sub-divide this into "Books/Lores" like the "Book/Lore of Combat", we could just have a topic for each Book/Lore with Rule tome as the start like "Rule tome: Book/Lore of Combat" but then we wouldn't have any real way that I can think of to organise this, keep them together as one cohesive entity, and present them in some sort of order? Also, each Topic/Lore/Book would have to start with an original post covering the chapter & verse of the original version text as a starting point (which is fine) but then the rest of the thread would rapidly get populated (especially those that are popular) with a mass of people's own versions and the related debates all merged

An alternative suggestion

Have Rule tome as a new forum within the HeroQuest Rooms and within that a subforum for each Lore/Book and then within that we could have a pinned topic that contained the official Chapter and Verse and then anyone could start a new topic containing their version of that module and that topic could contain all debate about that module version

Any thoughts on this so far would be welcomed, particularly around whether Ruletome is one word or two … Rule tome… RuleTome!
Last edited by Bareheaded Warrior on October 27th, 2022, 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » July 6th, 2022, 4:31 am

This is a long thread so to save anyone who doesn’t have the time or inclination to read it all I have summarised the discussions to date (if any of the original combatants, sorry participants are still active on here then please feel free to correct my summary)

a. GAME SETUP
b. SEQUENCE OF PLAY – turn-based, turn sequence, Sequence of players in a turn, sequence of actions in a player’s turn, the gamesmaster’s turn
c. HEROES
d. ABILITIES - are attributes of a character (a hero, or perhaps even a monster), and flesh out his profile to more detail. They may be skills he can learn or talents with which he was born. Just look at D&D or some other PnP roleplaying game. They sport elaborated skill systems for a reason. Players like to improve their characters, not only by increasing the basic attributes, but by giving them some "specialities". The Imperial Army, for example, is a house rule of skills. Abilities/Skills could be things like reading/writing, swimming, singing, use a certain kind of equipment, in short: everything that some people can do because they learnt it or have some exceptional talent, but that doesn't come natural to everyone. The original HQ rules have no skill system, but if some author wants to include a house rule to cover it, we should have a Lore ready for him to have his rule compatible to the Tome.
e. MOVEMENT – climbing, falling, swimming, pushing/pulling/lifting, sneaking, hiding, listening
f. (ACTIONS – search, attack, cast, disarm, climbing, falling, swimming, pushing/pulling/lifting, Move Object - Push/Pull an Object, Lift an Object, Carry an Object, Use Ability - Hide, Listen, Sneak (it has been suggested that this could be a sub-section of “SEQUENCE OF PLAY” but I don’t agree for 2 reasons, first if this is a subsection of sequence of play then so logically should movement be, and as ATTACK is an action then COMBAT would also be a sub-section of SEQUENCE OF PLAY. A better option might be to keep “SEQUENCE OF PLAY” possibly with a new name as a section that covers at a high level, the basics of the game, turn sequence, what can you do on your turn ‘attack a monster’, ‘move’, ‘search’ and the order of play and then leave the details of those things to be covered in the appropriate section – movement, combat, searching and so on, so for me I would remove the ACTIONS section and put actions like ATTACK into COMBAT, cast spell into MAGIC, SEARCH into SEARCH and so on, and would rename MOVEMENT to EXPLORATION and have that sub-divided into MOVEMENT, JUMPING, and actions not covered elsewhere). Actions are a part of the sequence of play in a turn and should be put in the Sequence of Play lore. One could use an "Action" to perform a generic task, like pushing and pulling, which everyone could do, to use a special skill, or to cover with an extraordinary situation.
g. SPECIAL / EXTRAORDINARY SITUATIONS - Special (or "extraordinary") Situations
are brought about the heroes by the quest. Even if it is not part of everyday dungeoneering, in some quests a hero may fall into a pit so deep that you must calculate the damage he takes, be forced to cross a body of water, or walk up a slippery slope. Let's say the floor of the room has given way, and the whole party now floats in a deep basin of ice-cold water. Some party members might have the swimming skill from the Abilities Lore, but regardless of if none, some, or all of them can swim, or if the players don't use Ability rules at all, there must be some rule to handle this situation. This example also shows that Abilities and Special Situation rules must be weighted very carefully against each other, because of the overlapping. An author who writes a house rule on how to learn swim and how to use this skill in the quests, would have to consider if there are already any rules that define the effects of being in the water in general. To make this work, we will have a tough time defining "Basic Rules" and "Basic Values" for both Lores, so that an author of one of them would have only to address the Basic values/rules of the other and still affect the single modules/passages correctly.
h. COMBAT (basic values: Attack and Defence)
i. MAGIC - how many spells known, how many spells per quest, spell list available, should the actual list of spells be included in a separate type of Chapter, possibly referred to as a scroll which would be an appendix – like the Equipment Cards / Armoury, Treasure & Artefact Cards, Monster Cards and the relevant corresponding Chapter like Magic would just cover the generic rules around that topic and leave the specific conditions and effects of a particular spell to the card itself?, who can cast, how many spells, known, how many spells per quest, magic energy / mana points, power levels, how the magic mechanism works, or magic without the use of spells, do we want to include magic items, potions and artefacts under Magic or under Treasure (sub-section for potions, other ‘minor’ one-off items like Holy Water, artefacts
j. SEARCHING – covers when and what to search, how to search, search for treasure, search for traps, search for secret doors
k. TRAPS/TRAP DISARMING (part of TRAPS or ACTIONS or SEARCH)
l. VISION/LIGHT
m. EQUIPMENT USE (WEAPON USE, ARMOR USE, EQUIPMENT USE) – use of weapons would surely have been covered in combat as would armour so what equipment is left to cover in this section – artefacts could be covered along with treasure items in a Treasure section, toolkit would be covered under Traps and disarming – empty section?
n. MERCENARIES
o. MONSTERS
p. THE EVIL SORCERER'S TURN
q. MONSTER ACTIONS
r. DEAD HEROES AND MONSTERS
s. BETWEEN QUESTS (the Armory, events)
t. EXPERIENCE/ADVANCEMENT
Last edited by Daedalus on July 27th, 2022, 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed title

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » October 27th, 2022, 9:09 am

I propose that we attempt to decide on a single ‘Common Modular Framework’ for HeroQuest that can be used for both this House Rule Project AND The HeroQuest Living Rulebook

In order to try and move this forward, I am proposing the following as a ‘straw man’ concept that people can throw stones at (or indeed just set on fire) and see what remains after a barrage. I think the most productive questions / lines of attack are likely to be along the lines of;

• I have introduced house rules for x, where would they sit in this framework?
• Can you explain what this section is for and adds some further details/explanation?
• Can you explain why rules covering x are in section y of this framework rather than section z?

This is based on my own House Rules / Living Rulebook Project and so has already been exposed to the original rules, the expansions rules (GS, KK, ROTWL, Weatherman, some of the AH online quests, and only partially – because they are a pain in the ass – ATOH, Frozen Horror and similar) and some homebrew rulesets.

I’m presenting it as a Table Of Contents with explanatory notes (which I will keep adding to as time permits and people ask) but if you want to see the whole thing in all its glory then it is available in my signature (although this ‘latest’ version is already in need of a revision)

Organisation

The rules contained within this document started with using the rules for the US edition of HeroQuest, as at that time it was the latest version, but they have been re-arranged into the following 3-tier format terms.

0. Books – for example ‘Book of Combat’
1. Chapters – sub-section of each book for example the Book of Combat has a Chapter on Ranged Combat - numbered
2. Verse – paragraph covering a specific individual rule – numbered

This enables us to refer to a particular rule or set of rules clearly and concisely in the following format

Book, Chapter: Verse(s)

For example, if you wish to refer to a particular rule for discussion or modification, and that rule sits within the Book of Combat, Chapter 3, Verses 4,5,6 then you would use the format

Combat 3:4-6

In the case of text that isn’t in the rulebook itself, supplementary text, such as card and armoury text then these are included in a set of appendices referred to as Scrolls which are sub-divided into Verses only, no Chapters.

There are also some extra scrolls covering more esoteric topics like “Unwritten Rules of HeroQuest,” “Principles of House Rules “that are listed separately at the end.

The books and their chapters refer to the rules that govern the use of spells, treasure cards and so on and the actual content within the cards themselves is covered in the relevant scrolls i.e., a separate piece of paper that has been appended to the rulebook but is not an intrinsic part of it.

VOLUME 1: THE RULES

BOOK OF PLAY
• CHAPTER 1: OVERVIEW – covers order of play, what can be done on a player’s turn
• CHAPTER 2 A GLIMPSE INTO THE WORLD OF HEROQUEST

BOOK OF HEROES
• CHAPTER 1: CHARACTERISTICS – brief overview of attack dice, defend dice, body points, mind points
• CHAPTER 2: THE HEROES – introduces each Hero in turn, Barbarian, Dwarf, Elf, Wizard Ranger, Rogue, Trollslayer, Wardancer including their stats, starting weapons, special abilities, restrictions
• CHAPTER 3: CHOOSING YOUR HERO – rules around multiple Heroes per player, filling in character sheets, dividing up spells

BOOK OF ZARGON
• CHAPTER 1: SETUP – instructions for setting up the game to play
• CHAPTER 2: RUNNING THE QUEST – starting the quest, spiral stairway, iron entrance door, ending a quest, wooden exit door, unfinished quests
• CHAPTER 3: ZARGON, THE EVIL SORCERER’S TURN – what you do on your turn, how you do it
• CHAPTER 4: MONSTER TYPES – explains the difference between standard monsters, variants like Goblin Scout with a Bow, named monsters/bosses
• CHAPTER 5: MONSTER SPECIAL ABILITIES – lists all the special abilities that monsters can have and the rules for handling them (which monster has which ability is on the monster cards themselves), like Elusive, Rock Solid, Ethereal, Regeneration, Thief and also special properties that an individual monster can have like ‘Sentry’

BOOK OF EXPLORATION
• CHAPTER 1: MOVEMENT
• CHAPTER 2: LOOKING
• CHAPTER 3: DOORS - covers standard doors, secret doors, locked doors, barred/bolted doors, heavy/stone doors, trapdoors, portcullises
• CHAPTER 4: JUMPING
• CHAPTER 5: DUNGEON FEATURES - Covers what happens in a pit, slippery squares

BOOK OF COMBAT
• CHAPTER 1: ATTACK & DEFENCE
• CHAPTER 2: UPGRADED WEAPONS & ARMOUR
• CHAPTER 3: ADVANCED COMBAT RULES

BOOK OF DAMAGE & DEATH
• CHAPTER 1: LOSING BODY AND MIND POINTS
• CHAPTER 2: DYING & DEATH

BOOK OF SPELL CASTING
• CHAPTER 1: CAST A SPELL
• CHAPTER 2: SPELL TYPES

BOOK OF SEARCHING
• CHAPTER 1: THE SEARCH ACTION
• CHAPTER 2: THE LOOT ACTION

BOOK OF LOOT
• CHAPTER 1: THE TREASURE DECK
• CHAPTER 2: MAGIC TREASURE TYPES
• CHAPTER 3: ARTEFACTS

BOOK OF TRAPS
• CHAPTER 1: DETECTING & DISARMING TRAPS
• CHAPTER 2: COMMON TRAP RULES
• CHAPTER 3: COMMON TRAP TYPES
• CHAPTER 4: MAGIC TRAPS

BOOK OF BETWEEN QUESTS
Consider putting the rules around playing Quests as a series here
• CHAPTER 1: RECOVERY – includes both the standard method of playing quests but also rules around playing Quests as a series
• CHAPTER 2: ITEM CATEGORIES & ATTRIBUTES
• CHAPTER 3: ADVANCEMENT
• CHAPTER 4: THE ARMOURY - includes rules for buying and selling new weapons, armour and tools
• CHAPTER 5: THE COLLEGE - include rules for Wizard to purchase more spells[i/]
• CHAPTER 6: THE TEMPLE - [i]includes rules for Heroes to gain blessings

• CHAPTER 7: THE ALCHEMISTS SHOP - includes rules and prices for purchasing various potions
• CHAPTER 8: THE TAVERN - includes rules for hiring and using mercenaries

VOLUME 2: THE CARD SCROLLS
the key factor here is that the previous volume contains ALL the rules, the ‘How’ things are done, this volume focuses on ‘what’ rather than how. For example a Monster card/entry may state that a specific monster (type) like ‘Goblin’ uses diagonal attacks, or ranged weapons or has a special ability ‘Zombie Stench’ or ‘Elusive’ however the rules around ‘How’ those attacks or special abilities actual work would be included in the rulebook NOT on the card. Same principle for spell cards the ‘what’ is on the card, the ‘how’ is in the rulebook for example the card may state that you can attempt to break the spell, how you ‘break a spell’ would be on the rule book, the Mercenary cards, detail the Mercenaries, their stats and abilities, the rules for hiring and using Mercenaries would be covered in the rulebook

THE BESTIARY SCROLL – effectively the Monster Cards from the base game but also cards for all the new monsters presented in the GS and various expansions
• GREENSKINS
• FORCES OF DREAD
• THE UNDEAD
• SKAVEN
• OGRES
• MERCENARIES

THE GRIMOIRE SCROLL
• HERO SPELLS
• DREAD SPELLS

THE TREASURE SCROLL
• TREASURE CARDS
• SPECIAL TREASURE CARDS

THE ARTEFACT SCROLL

THE ARMOURY SCROLL

VOLUME 3: THE CONVERSION SCROLLS

Contains an individual document (scroll) for each expansion pack and Quests, but I'm only showing one here for example

THE KELLAR’S KEEP SCROLL
• Introduction
• Quest 1 – The Great Gate
• Quest 2 – The Warrior Halls
• Quest 3 – The Spiral Passage
• Quest 4 – The Dwarven Forge
• Quest 5 – Hall of the Dwarven Kings
• Quest 6 – The Great Citadel
• Quest 7 – The Eastern Passage
• Quest 8 – Belorn’s Mine
• Quest 9 – The East Gate
• Quest 10 – Grin’s Crag
• Epilogue

VOLUME 4: THE ESOTERICA

THE UNWRITTEN SCROLL - unwritten rules and principles within HeroQuest are called out here
THE SCROLL OF CONSTRAINTS - principles and constraints that have been applied to the document and the rules
THE SCROLL OF CHANGES - complete change log for the project

Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Previous

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion