• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroQuest World

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Is the World of Heroquest the World of Warhammer?

Yes, they are one and the same.
18%
Yes, they are essentially the same, but we musn't feel obliged to adopt everything from WH to HQ.
30%
Depends, they once have been the same, but since the world of Warhammer has been developed further into a different direction since the days of Heroquest, they are by now two different worlds.
23%
No, the guys from Greed Workshop wanted it to be, but this was not the intention of MB, who own the game.
1%
No, they are two different worlds, and that's that. Any similarities are due to the fact that the same people created the backgrounds and re-used some ideas.
24%
I use a home-made world background anyways.
4%
None of the above.
No votes

Total votes : 71

Re: World of Heroquest = World of Warhammer?

Postby drathe » June 15th, 2011, 3:19 pm

It's my belief that Games Workshop chose to use the Warhammer background as it was already developed. HeroQuest would be a great way to draw new players into their world (and other games) as it would already be familiar to them.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Big Bene » June 15th, 2011, 4:54 pm

Ethica wrote:... skaven are from warhammer, I don't think they appear anywhere else.

There are no Skaven in the original Heroquest material (and you will never find a Skaven in one of my custom quests :p ). They were only introduced in some quests published in the White Dwarf magazine by - guess who - Greed Workshop. They were an "official" part of Advanced Heroquest, which was published by GW and was of course clearly set in the Warhammer universe, but which is, on the other hand, a completely different game.

As for Fimir and the world map, you are right, of course (though Fimir are dicontinued and no longer part of the Warhammer Universe).
Personally I think this are just details the GW Authors inroduced because they wanted the Warhammer World as the Background of Heroquest, but as it is not their product, this doesn't make it so.

But that's just my opinion. I started this thread to learn about your's, so be welcome. Diversity is a good thing.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby ken » June 15th, 2011, 5:20 pm

I think HQ was developed with the family in mind, WQ is more for the dedicated fantasy gamers. You only have to look at the thickness of the rule books to tell the difference. It would be interesting to know how many basic HQ sets were sold in its short life, compared with WQ.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » January 7th, 2013, 6:28 am

Well, if I look up the map of the Warhammer World, I can spot Karak Varn from Kellar's Keep, and the empire (as you work for the emperor), and there are many more references that link HQ to the WH world (the Old World).
So yeah, I think they're the same. And I don't mind, as WH has a rich lore, which I will gladly use in my future quests :D
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Big Bene » January 7th, 2013, 9:06 am

Sjeng wrote:Well, if I look up the map of the Warhammer World, I can spot Karak Varn from Kellar's Keep, and the empire (as you work for the emperor), and there are many more references that link HQ to the WH world (the Old World).

Nobody doubts this, but personally I rather see this as an conection in the real world. The GW people who helped meking HQ just re-used some material. This explains the similarities, but it doesn't make it the same world.
For example, in Warhammer, there is no Mentor or Loretome, Morcar and his armies of chaos don't fit in the timeline, barbarians are servants of chaos, fimir life in swamps and don't team up with greenskins to harass dwaren dungeons in the world's edge mountains etc.
But this is just me. using the warhammer world for HQ certainly opens up a whole well of background information.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » January 7th, 2013, 9:53 am

Perhaps in the world of Warhammer, Morcar and Mentor are just minor figures, and not worth mentioning in the grand scheme of things. HeroQuest focuses on these guys because they offer a nice story for the boardgame. Morcar's minions of Chaos are just some renegade chaos troops who chose Morcar as their leader (or were enchanted into submission), and Mentor is some local wizard who trains his own elite group of adventurers (only 4) to tackle his enemies plots.
I'm definitely going to pour over the WH maps for inspiration :D
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Fullork345 » January 8th, 2013, 11:01 am

There are no Skaven in the original Heroquest material (and you will never find a Skaven in one of my custom quests :p ). They were only introduced in some quests published in the White Dwarf magazine by - guess who - Greed Workshop. They were an "official" part of Advanced Heroquest, which was published by GW and was of course clearly set in the Warhammer universe, but which is, on the other hand, a completely different game.

As for Fimir and the world map, you are right, of course (though Fimir are dicontinued and no longer part of the Warhammer Universe).

They brought Fimir's back kinda through forgeworld and through that magic expansion for warhammer, though they aren't in the main game.

Also, isn't advanced heroquest kinda a sequeal in story to heroquest? Since terror of the dark includes the witch lord ?(known as the lichmaster?)
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » January 8th, 2013, 11:33 am

Big Bene wrote:
Ethica wrote:... skaven are from warhammer, I don't think they appear anywhere else.

Personally I think this are just details the GW Authors inroduced because they wanted the Warhammer World as the Background of Heroquest, but as it is not their product, this doesn't make it so.

But that's just my opinion. I started this thread to learn about your's, so be welcome. Diversity is a good thing.

I'd say that like it or not, Advanced HQ is canon. The same way "Terminator 3" is canon :gargoyle:
Then we have the map. No discussion that it's the same.
The fimir are also exclusive to the warhammer world.

I'd say those are pretty strong arguments for why HQ=WH.
But then as someone mentioned... Why no Morcar/Zargon in the warhammer chronicles?
Is the HQ storyline just so minor in the WH lore?

Short answer... YES! The worlds are the same. The places you see on the big map exist in the world of HQ. So does the warhammer races etc.
BUT. Both games seem to avoid recognizing each others events. The act like parallel universes or timelines.

I'm gonna go with "they were at a point".

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » January 8th, 2013, 11:38 am

Also... Like it or not. Snotlings ARE canon. I don't care if the picture is from something else.
In OFFICIAL HQ MATERIAL there is a picture of a snotling.
Deal with it nerds!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Fullork345 » January 8th, 2013, 12:15 pm

Well wouldn't advanced heroquest be part of the UK version of events? Since for example, in the US version of events, Ragnar doesn't reappear after his quest, while he does in the uk version.

I voted for them being orgionally based off the same world, but have since branched off from each other. I don't know if I buy that the heroquest events are minor, the emperor being trapped in a seiege for instance is a big deal. At least it would be in the warhammer background.
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion