• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroQuest World

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Is the World of Heroquest the World of Warhammer?

Yes, they are one and the same.
18%
Yes, they are essentially the same, but we musn't feel obliged to adopt everything from WH to HQ.
30%
Depends, they once have been the same, but since the world of Warhammer has been developed further into a different direction since the days of Heroquest, they are by now two different worlds.
23%
No, the guys from Greed Workshop wanted it to be, but this was not the intention of MB, who own the game.
1%
No, they are two different worlds, and that's that. Any similarities are due to the fact that the same people created the backgrounds and re-used some ideas.
24%
I use a home-made world background anyways.
4%
None of the above.
No votes

Total votes : 71

HeroQuest World

Postby FknDrnk » March 20th, 2009, 8:01 pm

looking for good world map for HeroQuest to get good grip of location for overland play.
I know the maps are based off of the WarHammer old world map, but cant find all specific points of intrest to place. so looking for more detail of the HeroQuest world (ground level)

Simply am interested in linking the quests better for an attempt to port a .mod to the NeverWinter 2 Toolset.But will be usefull for tabletop play as well

So hopfully this is an exciting topic so I can learn more myself by talking to others.
And Im hoping for a good response as this is my 1st post

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
FknDrnk

Forum Language: English (United States)

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: HeroQuest World

Postby drathe » March 21st, 2009, 12:19 am

There is a world map on the back of the European Return of the Witch Lord quest book.

*Link*

The map shows familiar locations such as Black Fire Pass and the World's Edge Mountains. I'm not sure if there are other maps out there that expand on it or not. I too welcome more posts on the subject.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby drathe » April 1st, 2009, 11:45 am

I came across these page scans from an old Warhammer Book on my compy today. You may find them of some use.

Warhammer World Map

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby kboleen » July 11th, 2010, 11:38 am

Very excellent maps. Much like Bilbo, I love maps. I don't play Warhammer, but its nice to put the game locations into perspective.
kboleen

Goblin
Goblin

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » July 12th, 2010, 6:47 pm

I've seen the warhammer-heroquest world map before. I have a problem with that map, however...
It says in the heroquest rule book, in the section under "A look at the world of heroquest", that the
ancient barbarian hero came out of the west from the borderlands. If you look at the map, though,
the borderlands are located due south of the empire.

I haven't checked to see if there are any other inconsistencies between that map and the HQ
storyline given in the quest books.

BUT, that's my take on it.
Oh drathe - the first "link" you have up, isn't working.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby drathe » July 12th, 2010, 8:54 pm

Thanks. I've updated the link to the new location.

Rewards:
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Ethica » July 15th, 2010, 1:37 pm

I don't like that the map is a map of the planet earth and all the places are french or german sounding. It should be non descript otherwise I find myself trying to give the world of warhammer some historical context (ie: maybe dragons were a surviving kind of dinosaur).

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

World of Heroquest = World of Warhammer?

Postby Big Bene » June 15th, 2011, 11:55 am

Hi!

I just read a custom quest where a "Bretonian prince" was mentioned. Bretonians? Isn't this a people from the World of Warhammer?
This reminded me of an argument I had some time ago. I won't repeat the single points of that discussion for now, if this threat triggers a discussion itself, I will thow in my two cents.
But I thought it would be interesting what is the opino communis of the forum.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Re: World of Heroquest = World of Warhammer?

Postby Ethica » June 15th, 2011, 12:10 pm

I thought the old world map on the back of the return of the witchlord quest book is from the world of warhammer? Fimir and skaven are from warhammer, I don't think they appear anywhere else.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Re: World of Heroquest = World of Warhammer?

Postby torilen » June 15th, 2011, 2:40 pm

I would say that it is just similarities from having Games Workshop involved in the creation of the game. Warhammer was
produced six years before HQ, so we certainly cannot say that they just stole from the HQ world.

Here is an opinion I have...though I have not really played warhammer much, so this is more a guess than a researched
answer: It is possible that the warhammer world is a continent on the world, and the HQ world is a different continent
of the world. Kind of like how TSR used the same "world" for forgotten realms, al-qadim (zakhara is a southern continent),
the horde (an asian setting in the east of the world), and Maztica (a western, middle american setting continent).
There is no problem with this...at least, there wouldn't have been if they had made sure to make it clear how it all
worked.

Honestly, I don't think they expected HQ to have the cult following that it does...that people would be pouring over the
so very few pieces of information given by the writers, seeking some small fact that everyone might have missed...perhaps
an inflection in the writing that would indicate some new theory on the existence of the witch king or something like that.
I think they just threw some background together to give the board game a history, and that's it.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Next

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion