• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hero Collection II: Rogue Heir of Elethorn (Oct-Dec '22)

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

What do you think of this announcement?

Here we go again
20%
I don't care
8%
Can't wait to pre-order
35%
Can't be real... no it can't be!
No votes
Maybe it will be good
15%
I'll wait for more info...
23%

Total votes : 40

Re: New 'Hero Collection': Rogue Heir of Elethorn (Nov '22)

Postby Kurgan » June 17th, 2022, 10:47 pm

QorDaq wrote:...

As to the Rogue, in an effort to step back and return to the actual topic at hand before my potential derailment;

The promise of the Rogue (to me), is that there could be unexpected new content added to the IP going forward. I am very curious to see those cards, and it's one of the things I have hopes will be revealed at GenCon.

I assume that this expansion, like the Knight before it, is an experiment, as much as anything, to see how the community responds to new retail releases. New Heroes are a cool addition in my opinion, despite the reception of any particular innovation by any particular fan.

I'd also like to see new enemies. As others have also mentioned (and I have previously as well), I'd like to see other types of small expansions too. Especially card packs, tile packs, encounter packs, etc. which could expand the idea for new fans discovering HQ today or into the future, that they can make the game their own by creating unique Quests, Campaigns, or whole worlds using the game as a tool set.

The Rogue could be a good start. We'll see.

Also, initially I didn't much like the look of the minis, but they are actually growing on me.

Yeah, a lot of frustration came out in my wall of text on the previous page, and your reply was very thoughtful, thanks for that.

The problem is all of the "new content" thus far has been exclusive, limited run stuff (Mythic bonuses, Guardian Knights). If they start making it retail that's more of a "risk" I suppose, because people will actually see it, and potentially judge it, so I see your point about the "experimental" nature of it.

Once they step outside of the "I want everything/gotta have it now" crowd of collectors it will be a test to see if the product cuts the mustard, if word-of-mouth drives sales or if they disappear.

We know they can write new quest packs. If they put together some packs that are designed around the "You Know You Can Make Your Own Content for This Game, Right?" feature of HeroQuest, these packs could be very successful. Add a new hero, add new monsters, new tiles, new furniture, the sky is the limit, and of course new quests.

I can imagine the average consumer going "what is this guy, how come he's just in a box with some cards, what am I supposed to do with this? Am I supposed to paint him or what?" At least the expansions were clearly marked that it's like, oh yes, this isn't a game in itself, it's meant to go with and EXPAND the game system I already bought with new stuff, cool.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » June 24th, 2022, 4:28 pm

Thanks domymontalto, via our HeroQuestFans discord, a UK site is listing "pre-orders" for the Rogue Heir of Elethorn hero collection.

As before, I'm sticking to my plan to not "pre-order" any of these products. I will rather "order" when they become available in retail. Still waiting on the official announcement about these, which for all we know won't be until GenCon in about six weeks, but we'll see!

https://www.seventhdimension.co.uk/products/heroquest-expansion-the-rogue-heir-of-elethorn?_pos=3&_sid=7bb405c27&_ss=r

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sonic Whammy » July 27th, 2022, 12:00 pm

Personally, having missed out on all the other new heroes so far, I won't mind finally being able to get one of these. And even then, with the old ones, as long as we have the rules and some time of online access to the quest books, all I'd want is someone's help with some pictures and a 3D printer or something and then hey, I'd have my own knight, bard, druid and warlock. (Anyone wanna help?)

Either way, I look forward to this, hope to snag it.
Brian Sapinski
Math teacher, Game show fan, Heroquest lifer

Need math help? Find me on YouTube at "Learn Math with Brian Sapinski"
Sonic Whammy

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » August 3rd, 2022, 12:35 pm

Thanks ElVirg (aka Virg on Twitch) for posting this article that gives a lot of spoilers about the new hero:

https://www.polygon.com/tabletop-games/23289425/heroquest-expansion-rogue-heir-of-elethorn-announcement-release-date-price?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

With some closer explanation of the gameplay mechanics, equipment and stats, plus if you zoom in on that image you can finally see what to me is clear confirmation that the Elf Quest Pack will "soon" be remade as well (as if they would pass it up!).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » August 3rd, 2022, 1:02 pm

That was fast.. the official page is up!

https://hasbropulse.com/products/heroquest-the-rogue-heir-of-elethorn

Thanks again for the expert reporting Virg!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » August 3rd, 2022, 2:18 pm

Kurgan wrote:1, 2, 5, 4 are the official stats for the Rogue hero...

dagger and bandolier in combination gives him his abilities (probably similar to how 2 of the 3 Knight skills required the shield)

Opportunistic Strike is one the Rogue's Skills.

So I wonder what the mobility means... does that mean he could move, attack, move (or interrupt his movement then continue it after his action unlike all other heroes)? Or does it mean like he can slip past monsters similar to dust of disappearance?

Or does he have the ability to throw his knives at monsters even if they are behind other figures? Without seeing the actual wording we're speculating and reading between the lines from that article.

Pre-Orders begin today (Aug 3, 2022). I won't pre-order, only order.

The way Chris Nadeau talks about it, continues to affirm the notion that it will be retail, rather than a limited time exclusive (which wouldn't have much opportunity to change the way HeroQuest is played).

And the hype lore video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqx2o35-Vp4

BigBadToySTore is one of a few stores who updated their pre-order page to say it's sell for $16.99 and a release date of sometime in December 2022. Various folks who pre-ordered already have said they were told est. delivery date of Dec 2nd or 3rd.
And HeroScape ("Annihilation") is coming back too? Wow. Lots of news...

From BigBadToyStore page:

Prepare for battle! Independent, but loyal to the monarch, The Rogue Heir of Elethorn is a nimble skirmisher deadly with small blades. When you play as this hero, you lack the ability to use metal armor and shields, but you're equipped with your trusty bandolier, and are always ready to meet danger head on. This collector's edition item includes 2 highly-detailed Rogue Heir of Elethorn figures with powers and skills not seen in HeroQuest characters. It also includes 12 game cards, and a story card featuring an important letter from a secret group, addressed to the Rogue Heir. (Requires HeroQuest Game System to Play. Sold Separately).

Product Features
Ages 14+
For 2-5 players
Hero Quest Game System expansion
Includes 2 finely-detailed miniatures, 12 game cards, and a story card
Go deeper and broader into the world of HeroQuest with this nimble skirmisher who has unique powers and skills not possessed by any other HeroQuest character
Choose to play as the male or female Rogue Heir of Elethorn. Each one has the skills as a well-trained knife fighter ready to stand between allies and danger
Combat Mobility, Ambidextrous, Dagger, and Bandolier cards reveal unique advantages you acquire when playing as this reluctant, yet loyal hero
Requires Hero Quest Game System to play (sold separately)

So I'm guessing that means....
So Starts with Two equipment cards: Dagger and Bandolier. Combining them lets you use 2 (or 3?) skills.
3 Rogue Skill Cards each: Combat Mobility, Ambidextrous, and Opportunistic Striker.

So dual wielding rules? The ability to move twice or possibly do move, action move? And the ability to pass through monsters on a turn?
Similar to the Knight, but fancier box. Looks like the price is hovering around the same. $15.99 or $16.99.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Re: New 'Hero Collection': Rogue Heir of Elethorn (Dec '22)

Postby Kurgan » August 3rd, 2022, 11:56 pm

And now we've seen pictures of the miniatures, tiles, and SOME of the cards from the Elf Quest Pack (Mage of the Mirror) following a familiar pattern as the Frozen Horror remake (but oddly, it shows a new set (partial?) of re-designed furniture, rather than new character sheets or dice). No release date on that yet.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » August 4th, 2022, 3:59 pm

Thanks to Encarmine live from GenCon today, we've revived in HQF discord a much higher quality picture of the "letter" explaining the plot background of this new character as well as some partial clues as to the character's abilities on his skill cards...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » August 7th, 2022, 1:31 pm

Thanks to piper in HeroQuestFans discord who posted this much more clear photo of two of the Skill cards for the Rogue Hero...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby SirRick » August 7th, 2022, 6:07 pm

It’s nice to see a character who can make better use of shortswords (particularly the Orc’s Bane). However, I noticed the Opportunistic Striker isn’t limited to a particular weapon, so if they can use a Battle Axe, that’s an attack of 5 combat dice every turn! That seems really powerful!

I know the Rogue has only 5 body points, but it still seems incredibly strong. I am not sure if they have armor or weapon restrictions mentioned on their card. If they do have equipment restrictions it balances out their abilities. If they can run past monsters and create openings it does seem like a really useful character to have.

Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
SirRick

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous HeroQuest Items