• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

ONLINE QUEST 1 Forsaken Tunnels Of Xor-Xel

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: FORSAKEN TUNNELS OF XOR-XEL discussion

Postby Kurgan » December 29th, 2021, 3:59 am

In the later NA quest packs the "Wandering Monster Trap" is undetectable and once you step on the triggering square, the monster attacks (but it doesn't end the Hero's turn). At first I hated that mechanic but I accepted it (I will still warn searching heroes that something is wrong in the area, but they can't discover what, muhahaha). I think Zargon gets some oversight here. The extra treasure searches per room, if allowed, could get interesting. Once the treasure deck is drained of "good" cards, they just have the furniture rooms to hope for good treasure.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby FainFlynn » December 30th, 2021, 1:49 pm

FYI they added treasure to the "C" marked chest, it was announced on AH twitter, and updated on the PDF.
FainFlynn

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maalicia_Ironhoof » March 19th, 2022, 9:49 pm

Does anyone have the original un-corrected PDF version they could send me? The current version available is a ".webp" file.
Bradley Boruch / Maalicia Ironhoof (Previously Cyber333)
Fixing Avalon Hill's Rules and Quest Books by Maalicia Ironhoof
Maalicia_Ironhoof

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby Eudoxio » March 20th, 2022, 1:45 am

Xor-Xel was never a pdf, only image files.

This is the old file WITH ERRORS.
Eudoxio

Orc
Orc

Forum Language: Español
Hero:

Postby Maalicia_Ironhoof » March 20th, 2022, 3:08 am

Thanks Eudoxio; on page 1 Kurgan mentioned it was a PDF...

all good - for those that are interested I've re-made it inline with the 2021 quest books:
https://mega.nz/file/Y5w22YBC#lUh5bL4ap ... rX89dayp3Q

This was done with a combination of Adobe Illustrator & Adobe Pagemaker, using the "revised" version as a basis and correcting the text formatting (and a couple of grammatical errors) to be consistent with the new quest books.
Bradley Boruch / Maalicia Ironhoof (Previously Cyber333)
Fixing Avalon Hill's Rules and Quest Books by Maalicia Ironhoof
Maalicia_Ironhoof

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Re: ONLINE QUEST 1 Forsaken Tunnels Of Xor-Xel

Postby Kurgan » July 21st, 2022, 12:17 am

Yeah I made a "classic edition" of Xor Xel in heroscribe and exported it as a PDF, that's what you're seeing on page 1, not the official file. New Beginnings was just image as well, but the rest of the official AH releases have appeared at least once online in PDF format with vector based graphics.

Now that I can finally run the App (via BlueStacks the android emulator on my new pc), it appears the intention all along was to reveal literally three squares around the hero in rooms and corridors (draw concentric squares moving out from the hero's square to determine which ones are revealed). No "fog of war" effect" seemingly, but other than that it seems pretty clear how they intended it to work (the App isn't always right).

Clear enough.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » July 21st, 2022, 12:04 pm

Only read it through once but first impressions...

Missing stats for Xor-Xel possibly or are we to assume that the Dread Warrior icon is used meaning it uses standard Dread Warrior stats, although it is described as a "skeletal warrior clad in armour and robes" which could be a better description of original Chaos Sorcerer now Dread Sorcerer (it is a skull under that helmet but I'm not asking it to let me see what is under its robes) and Xor-Xel knows at least one spell and is presumably is the "someone (or something) who was working to unmake the magical barring" so Dread Sorcerer or Dread Warrior, either way a little less ambiguity please!

My assumption was that the darkness in the tunnels referred to the whole dungeon, rooms and corridors, after all the dungeon is named the "FORSAKEN TUNNELS OF XOR-XEL" as opposed to "FORSAKEN TUNNELS BUT SURPRISINGLY REASONABLY WELL-LIT ROOMS OF XOR-XEL"

Quest Note E referencing the abominable abomination states that it activates when a Hero reaches a certain point, but then gives text to read when it is revealed, which implies that monsters are activated when certain conditions are met, such as a door to a room being opened and can them be used by Zargon on their turn as usual but are not revealed i.e. placed on the board until they can be seen by the Heroes i.e. come lumbering or occasionally shambling out of the darkness but as usual that subtle difference could have been called out and explained more clearly.
Last edited by Bareheaded Warrior on August 8th, 2022, 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » July 22nd, 2022, 2:27 pm

The idea of using one miniature to represent a variety of special monsters is nothing new, but although it is very often the Chaos Warlock (Dread Sorcerer in the remake) that stands in for unique/named characters, there are a few instances of the "large sword Orc" being used, as well as Chaos (Dread) Warriors, and even entirely different figures (Zombie for Wardoz for instance). You have examples of monsters with modified stats or other different abilities sprinkled through the classic (1989-1992) era of HeroQuest.

Any figure can represent any character the GM wishes, via the quest notes. If no clarification is provided, then it uses the basic monster stats for that figure, even if they have a name.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby TheLastChaosWarrior » July 24th, 2022, 8:24 am

I've noticed the game save on this Quest doesn't work!
I saved on half way through as my phone was dying, but when I reloaded it, it showed a blank map with the characters on the screen walking about?
Very strange!
TheLastChaosWarrior

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Postby iKarith » July 31st, 2022, 8:38 pm

Bareheaded Warrior wrote:My assumption was that the darkness in the tunnels referred to the whole dungeon, rooms, and corridors, after all the dungeon is named the "FORSAKEN TUNNELS OF XOR-XEL" as opposed to "FORSAKEN TUNNELS BUT SURPRISINGLY REASONABLY WELL-LIT ROOMS OF XOR-XEL"

I believe "FORSAKEN BUT SURPRISINGLY WELL-LIT TUNNELS OF XOR-XEL" is a dungeon designed by Twitter Zargon. :mrgreen:
<InSpectreRetro> All hail Zargon!!! Morcar only has 1BP.

Rewards:
Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion