• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hero Quest 2021 Remake: Errata Compilation

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Hero Quest 2021 Remake: Errata Compilation

Postby Kurgan » November 12th, 2021, 10:34 pm

Nlinindoll wrote:
HispaZargon wrote:There are at least two important ones I would like to see first what Inn members think about and there have not been so many opinions. First one is the rules about magical darkness in the Dragon's Lair. The other one if it is needed or not to show a door in the map at Spirit Queen's finale room.

I’m very intrigued to see what people think about that missing door in Spirit Queen. Looks like a fun twist but if the heroes only get three opportunities to pass through the wall, it seems like it’s possible they might never find it or be trapped once they do if they haven’t used the three wisely.

Has anyone asked Zargon on Twitter? Haha

The whole thing reminds me of the Elven Cloak of Passage (a regular treasure in the EQP).

Here, one hero would get Four chances, since someone will have 'Pass Through Rock' in the quest. Or even five IF they had the foresight to load 'Pass Through Rock' into the 'Spell Ring' Artifact (acquired in the previous Quest) at the beginning of the finale.

Twitter 'Zargon' has seemed to give more useful information than usual these days. Couldn't hurt...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby HispaZargon » November 13th, 2021, 7:21 am

Ok, I have updated the second post with a summary of all the errata we have detected up to now. I have included there a colours code system in order to identify its maturity.

In the other hand, please, notice that the following commented points have not been included in such list due to according to what has been discussed here and my notes below, for the moment they may not be considered errors, but of course discussions could be opened again for them:

Game System rulebook:

- The 1990 Instruction Booklet mentions the Wizard being able to buy very few items from the Armory and suggests he would be wise to save his money for future expansions, where he is promised "powerful magical items" will be available. These were never released. The line is still there telling the Wizard to be wise in saving his gold, but no reason is given as to what he should be saving for, they simply removed the next sentence. I guess he could save for potions, but they are not something unique to his character alone. - Well it is not clear since Wizard could by for example potions and who knows if Hasbro will finally release any new questpack where Wizard could buy powerful items so we cannot now consider it an errata I think.

- It is not explained in the Remake what happens if the Warlock (who can use Wizard items) and the Wizard are fighting over the Wizard's Cloak artifact (taken literally, the Wizard should always get it, if he's playing). - As far as I know, Warlock rules say she must be considered as a Wizard for any purposes, sorry I don't catch the problem here

- It is never clarified whether a Crossbow can shoot the four closest diagonal squares or if there has to be a space between these squares and the target. If interpreted the first way, then the Crossbow greatly diminishes the unique utility of the diagonally striking Longsword, which is the same price. There is no rule saying either weapon is "two handed" preventing the shield use (only the Staff and Battle Axe do this). - I always considered you can use it for diagonal attacks, moreover, the rules are clear: diagonal squares are not considered adjacent squares by the rules so no rule avoid a Hero to use a distant weapon to attack to a monster placed in a diagonal square. A clarification would be better but as rules are written today, I think is not needed.

- It is unclear (though one could say implied) about whether the Treasure deck needs to be shuffled every single time a Hero searches for Treasure or just once at the beginning of each new Quest (before the first search, in other words).

Prophecy of Telor questbook:

- Page 6: Alone chest shown in room at right hand side of the map has no dedicated description in page 7. - I think in this case the chest should be considered empty.

The Crypt of Perpetual Darkness questbook:

- Page 6: Alone chest shown in tavern's secret room of the map has no dedicated description in page 7. - I think in this case the chest should be considered empty or maybe inside it Toni kept the Ring of Return.

- Page 10: Alone chest shown in one upper room of the map has no dedicated description in page 11. - I think in this case the chest should be considered empty.

- Page 10: The map shows at the mine's entrance the "Cliff Corridor" tile from Kellar's Keep Expansion, however the notes in page 11 do not include any description about it. - I think the use of this tile should be considered just for aesthetical or ilustrative purposes but saying nothing about it in the quest notes could make the use of this tile confusing.

- Page 14: Alone chest shown in one room of the map has no dedicated description in page 15. - I think in this case the chest should be considered empty.

Basic Game Equipment Cards deck:

- Chain Mail: This item may not be used by the Wizard but, inexplicably the card art work seems to show a Wizard wearing it. Well, considering that figure the Wizard its an interpretation, it may be also any other Hero like the Elf or who knows.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » November 13th, 2021, 1:54 pm

Thanks for the updates! |_P

You may disagree, but here are my thoughts...

They've all but stated outright that they are remaking the 1992 Barbarian Quest Pack (aka the Frozen Horror). This pack we know includes new bad guy ("Dread") spells, new artifacts, new treasure cards, new monsters, mercenaries (both good and evil), new tiles, new miniatures and of course a new quest book. This new quest book, like the other expansions before it in the NA territory has an Alchemist Shop. Unlike the previous Alchemist shop from KK/ROTWL (that the new quest books from 2021 also used), this one has new potions, a few of which are only usable by the Barbarian... but the rest can be purchased by anyone. So unless they go out of their way to design something, still no powerful magical items for the Wizard to buy.

The Barbarian Quest pack, via the vintage version, also includes rules clarifications saying a Hero can pass anything to another Hero (Artifact, gold, potions, equipment) as long as the two are adjacent to each other and not adjacent to any monsters... and that you can sell back anything sold at the Armory back to the Armory at half price between quests (will they clarify that to talk about the Potions which they have now classified as "Equipment"?).

If they go by what we've seen before, it will be a reprint that's 99% the same (minus word substitutions to remove GWS stuff). But then that's not 100% certain at the moment. Guess we'll find out more next week... (or maybe next year). I understand we can only go by what we know right now. I guess we shouldn't speculate something will be fixed in a future expansion if we don't know what that is proven to contain or if it will even ever come out.

The game rules throughout are careful to try to avoid conflicts between players by dividing up large treasure sums of gold between surviving players, and making sure the player who can use an Artifact is given it right away when it is found. The spirit of cooperation is reinforced in the NA rules, while the EU rules allowed competition (even if it was in the heroes's best interest to always work together).

There are no official in-game guidelines given for using the Warlock and Druid heroes in the new quest books (only the Bard is given instructions as a starting or backup Hero partway through Spirit Queen's Torment). So hero players will have to make up their own rules. Presumably they would substitute for one of the classic four heroes (the game is still listed for 2-5 players and still mentions "four heroes" so they don't seem to be suggesting playing with five or six heroes at a time). If they substitute for the Wizard, no problem. But if they substitute for a different one, then whoever finds it first decides who to give it to, either snubbing the Wizard or snubbing the Warlock. The Warlock is the "selfish character" so who knows!

Then again, if I read Spirit Queen's Torment correctly, you actually go and find many other GameSystem artifacts a second time. So this could be the opportunity for the Warlock to get what the Wizard already has? There could be thus TWO Wizard Cloaks. Otherwise there is only one chance for either of these characters to raise their defend dice above 3 (they get one extra for buying the expensive Bracers now). In the 1990 NA edition of course, the Wizard was fully expected to survive all the quest adventures with only 3 defend dice (no bracers in that edition, just the Wizard's Cloak). :2cents:

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » November 13th, 2021, 5:40 pm

Kurgan wrote:If they go by what we've seen before, it will be a reprint that's 99% the same (minus word substitutions to remove GWS stuff). But then that's not 100% certain at the moment. Guess we'll find out more next week... (or maybe next year). I understand we can only go by what we know right now. I guess we shouldn't speculate something will be fixed in a future expansion if we don't know what that is proven to contain or if it will even ever come out.

Yeah, that's the reason I think we should not consider the inclusion of such sentence in the rulebook an errata for the moment.

Kurgan wrote:There are no official in-game guidelines given for using the Warlock and Druid heroes in the new quest books (only the Bard is given instructions as a starting or backup Hero partway through Spirit Queen's Torment). So hero players will have to make up their own rules. Presumably they would substitute for one of the classic four heroes (the game is still listed for 2-5 players and still mentions "four heroes" so they don't seem to be suggesting playing with five or six heroes at a time). If they substitute for the Wizard, no problem. But if they substitute for a different one, then whoever finds it first decides who to give it to, either snubbing the Wizard or snubbing the Warlock. The Warlock is the "selfish character" so who knows!

I mostly agree, there is a lack in the rules about how to introduce those characters in play. In fact, the error is not including some kind of guidelines for them inside Mythic box. That's the place I think their rules should had been explained if we treat Mythic box as an expansion of the game. Mmm... ok, I will include a line about it in the errata summary of Mythic box contents.

Kurgan wrote:Then again, if I read Spirit Queen's Torment correctly, you actually go and find many other GameSystem artifacts a second time. So this could be the opportunity for the Warlock to get what the Wizard already has? There could be thus TWO Wizard Cloaks. Otherwise there is only one chance for either of these characters to raise their defend dice above 3 (they get one extra for buying the expensive Bracers now). In the 1990 NA edition of course, the Wizard was fully expected to survive all the quest adventures with only 3 defend dice (no bracers in that edition, just the Wizard's Cloak). :2cents:

Well, in Spirit Queen's Torment questbook, it is clearly said that Heroes find artifacts like Talisman of Lore, Orc's Bane and Wizard's Staff unless a hero already has it so it means that only may exist one of each. The controversy may be with the four Elemental artefacts, especially with Borin's Armour and Winzard's Cloak since no restriction is written when they are found by heroes so potentially could co-exist two items of the same artefact. I have the doubt if at the end of the questpack the four Elemental artefacts are left inside the Spire of the Spirits to stay hidden or in contrast they are rewards for the heroes who may hide them... which has not too much sense since heroes are suposed to use them in future quests, so they will not be too hidden for Zargon eyes. Maybe Mentor words are crowded of ambiguity or maybe is my English but I have not too much clear what happens with the Elemental artefacts. If I had designed the quest I would have left them inside the ethereal spire at the end and that's all in order to avoid artefacts duplicities or, even more, I had used other artefacts, like Elmental orbes from Earth, Air, Water and Fire, not using any known artefact for that purpose.

I think a good way of playing this questpack after Game System one is replacing its Elemental artefacts in quest maps depending on which artefacts already have the Heroes, trying to avoid duplicities. Playing in that way the heroes could recover any artefact they had lost before but they continue being unique.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » November 13th, 2021, 6:55 pm

I forgot that it sometime says "if they don't already have it" (which implies they assume you might have played the Game System before this one or you may be using brand new heroes mixed in). I know that normally in terms of lost artifacts (if the hero holding them dies and they are claimed by monsters), then they become special treasures early in the next quest. But to stop the Warlock and Wizard players from fighting over who gets the cloak (a duel to the death, in game using EU provisions for hero vs. hero combat?) Zargon has to make some editorial, perhaps creative decisions.

Another thing to consider is that if the Wizard or Elf are missing from the adventure, that eliminates some of the spells, because nobody else gets to use those spells (unless it's a spell scroll in an expansion adventure anyone can use). So if somebody forgot to bring pass through rock, that's one less opportunity to get to the door-less room in that one quest in Spirit Queen's Torment (making it harder, but not impossible to win).

The main source of confusion with the errata will be the GM when they gather to play. Some Zargons after all will study the quest carefully before play, while others will just break it out for the first time at the table and try to play it as written. It should be as user-friendly as possible in that case, from Hasbro's perspective. If they post an official "errata" as a printable sheet, that would be a good thing, and if they fix it before the retail version would get printed (assuming they follow through on that), would be wise.

Edit: Another thing I never thought of before, now that the Spell Ring artifact no longer says Elf/Wizard on it, does that mean a Hero could "pass" the Artifact to another hero to use, with the spells inside it? Might not make much of a difference, but it could happen also if the Hero holding the Spell Ring dies, that another hero could claim it and use the spells that are left inside it? The spells only have to be installed into the ring before the Quest begins, but after that, it would seem to be up for grabs who wants to use it, or am I wrong? I also question whether you could now theoretically put a Spell Scroll into it?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » November 13th, 2021, 8:06 pm

Kurgan wrote:I forgot that it sometime says "if they don't already have it" (which implies they assume you might have played the Game System before this one or you may be using brand new heroes mixed in). I know that normally in terms of lost artifacts (if the hero holding them dies and they are claimed by monsters), then they become special treasures early in the next quest. But to stop the Warlock and Wizard players from fighting over who gets the cloak (a duel to the death, in game using EU provisions for hero vs. hero combat?) Zargon has to make some editorial, perhaps creative decisions.

Another thing to consider is that if the Wizard or Elf are missing from the adventure, that eliminates some of the spells, because nobody else gets to use those spells (unless it's a spell scroll in an expansion adventure anyone can use). So if somebody forgot to bring pass through rock, that's one less opportunity to get to the door-less room in that one quest in Spirit Queen's Torment (making it harder, but not impossible to win).

The main source of confusion with the errata will be the GM when they gather to play. Some Zargons after all will study the quest carefully before play, while others will just break it out for the first time at the table and try to play it as written. It should be as user-friendly as possible in that case, from Hasbro's perspective. If they post an official "errata" as a printable sheet, that would be a good thing, and if they fix it before the retail version would get printed (assuming they follow through on that), would be wise.

Edit: Another thing I never thought of before, now that the Spell Ring artifact no longer says Elf/Wizard on it, does that mean a Hero could "pass" the Artifact to another hero to use, with the spells inside it? Might not make much of a difference, but it could happen also if the Hero holding the Spell Ring dies, that another hero could claim it and use the spells that are left inside it? The spells only have to be installed into the ring before the Quest begins, but after that, it would seem to be up for grabs who wants to use it, or am I wrong? I also question whether you could now theoretically put a Spell Scroll into it?

I would allow it. The Spell ring is pre-charged. And the spell inside the ring could be the difference between winning or losing.
As for the scroll thing...no.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » November 13th, 2021, 8:23 pm

Interesting, why wouldn't you allow the scroll thing... it is magic isn't it? Too OP?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » November 13th, 2021, 8:30 pm

I consider it as said in their artefact card rules... I think the scroll can be casted by any hero, sorcerer or not, since I understand it is casted just by reading it. In the other hand I understand that casting the spell inside a ring needs some magic knowledge by the spellcaster, who must know how to 'use' a magical ring.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » November 13th, 2021, 9:11 pm

Kurgan wrote:Edit: Another thing I never thought of before, now that the Spell Ring artifact no longer says Elf/Wizard on it, does that mean a Hero could "pass" the Artifact to another hero to use, with the spells inside it? Might not make much of a difference, but it could happen also if the Hero holding the Spell Ring dies, that another hero could claim it and use the spells that are left inside it? The spells only have to be installed into the ring before the Quest begins, but after that, it would seem to be up for grabs who wants to use it, or am I wrong? I also question whether you could now theoretically put a Spell Scroll into it?

I'm for playing the Artifact as rules-as-written. "This ring enables a hero to cast one spell two times . . ." Since another Hero can't normally cast the spell already stored in the ring, he or she also can't cast it twice, disqualifying that hero from using the spell in the ring. Storing the spell records it but doesn't provide knowledge for how to cast it.

I'd also say the same no for a spell scroll. A hero can use a scroll like a spell card, but he or she can't "declare which of their spells are stored in the ring" without the inherent choice of spells to cast. A single spell scroll precludes a choice, so spell scrolls don't qualify as eventually a choice is impossible as they are used up.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » November 13th, 2021, 9:14 pm

Interesting take, but since you can collect and hang onto multiple spell scrolls, regardless of which hero you are (according to the rules, some insist only the Elf/Wizard should be able to use scrolls, but the rules say any hero). Then they could choose which one to put in, couldn't they?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext