• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroQuest - The Card Game

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

Re: HeroQuest - The Card Game

Postby Kurgan » January 21st, 2021, 10:19 pm

Not to be conspiratorial here (again), but what about those cases where a company is pressured into "using" their IP for fear of letting it lapse and somebody else snatching it up? This actually happened with "Hero Quest" and it happened a second time, sort of, with the Gamezone debacle. Still, they would make good on the sales they created in the first place. While the design elements are familiar, it's not as if they are selling off excess pieces with this card game.

There's got to be a happy medium between "entirely crowd-funded, no advertising viral marketing campaign" and "massive over-advertising-the-heck-out-a-product."

Who wants to play a high end board game during a pandemic? Lots of people. So we'll see what happens. Maybe some people are tempted to get it at the low price just to get some of that artwork early and start their mod projects. But eventually all of us here will have that stuff to mess with.

Perhaps this was done to shut out any possible competition from some company wanting to make a cheap card game inspired by Hero Quest around the same time to capitalize?

They probably should hurry up and come out with that mobile game many of us (including myself) speculated about when the "Timer" first got posted.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Shadzar » January 23rd, 2021, 5:25 pm

Apparently someone has the game in their possession...

Shadzar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Postby j_dean80 » January 23rd, 2021, 6:17 pm

Very jello...
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » February 8th, 2021, 6:52 pm

I received mine one week ago. I opened it yesterday and played a couple of times, thats' not bad.
It basically uses the dice roll system to "eliminate" cards in play on the table.
Unlike the original game, the heroes are well balanced; there are six different "threats" to fight plus Searches and Healing options; the Threats are distribuited on the cards equally so there are 14 threats for each type while each Hero has a bonus against some of the Threats, so even the Wizard is a competitive character here and also has an advantage on healing wounds.
Maybe the Dwarf is the stronger one here because one of his bonus is focused on Searchs and a successfully search is the ONLY way to eliminate two cards with the same thread in the same turn. (at first I confused the Falling Rock threats with the Search action, so I deleted this line now).
Barbarian and Dwarf are exactly the same, having bonuses against two of the threats, Elf and Wizard are the same, both have a bonus against only one of the threats but they can heal (themselves) easily.
The content is poor and the cards leave your fingers "smoked" so I need to wash my hands after some time that I handle them. Sleeves are higly recommended here. The tiles are looking good instead. RUST card shows some printing on the bottom saying "MADE IN BELGIUM". The dice with stickers sucks even at rolling as they have a CUBE shape and their corners are NOT rounded.
There is a big waste of space in the box, they could make it half the actual size. The box cover is not even correct as the yellow frame should trim the artwork while it comes out from the edges of the frame (I've noticed the same defect on the preview pics of new release of the game too).
Cards size is almost the same of cards from the EU version of the classic HQ boardgame, just 1 mm smaller. But the new artworks are a bit more elaborated and the image frame is even smaller than the calssic cards (because they left two rows available for the card title I guess) so I had some difficults to look at the artworks (especially with Tempest). They do not shuffle easily (again, plastic card sleeves should solve the problem).
The game machanics is simple, but can be confusing at the first read as it is a totally different game.
Ten Chaos Spells are featured, which are basically negative events you draw at random, giving a malus to the heroes and there are only five bonus cards: Broadsword, Heroic Brew (they are ALMOST the same), Water of Healing, Potion of Healing (EXACTLY the same) and Rust, which is not a Chaos Spell but a bonus here.
The very negative part is: if one Hero dies, all the players lost the game. Ok, it is a cooperative game but I would allow the other Heroes to finish the quest on their own.
It could be implemented in several ways to become more attractive, already have some ideas to make this one a lot better.
Here is a pic of all the cards included:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by lestodante on September 2nd, 2021, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » February 8th, 2021, 7:30 pm

Interesting, thanks for posting!

I guess we can safely presume the artwork there is what we're going to see on the upcoming board game spell and Treasure cards. Some of it looks good, and some less cool than the classic artwork. But it's clear that it's not always an exact copy of the originals. "Cloud of Dread" doesn't sound as cool as "Cloud of Chaos." And we now have the map icon for the "Dread" Warriors.

The flame icon reminds me of the mock-ups I was making for the "Holy Flame" ability from the Japanese game system. ;)

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » February 8th, 2021, 7:38 pm

Kurgan wrote:I guess we can safely presume the artwork there is what we're going to see on the upcoming board game spell and Treasure cards. Some of it looks good, and some less cool than the classic artwork.

You're right, I wanted to put my hands on this for the same reason!

Kurgan wrote:And we now have the map icon for the "Dread" Warriors.

;)

Anyway they mixed a bit Hero Spells with Chaos Spells, Fire of Wrath is now a negative event and no more a Fire Spell usable by the Wizard/Elf.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » February 10th, 2021, 8:11 pm

I'm sure the abilities won't transfer over, just the black & white artwork.

Isolated a few from those images for fun...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » February 21st, 2021, 9:03 pm

What's the exact measurement of the cards? I realize that won't necessarily predict the size of the HQ Remake cards, but I'm curious. You said "1mm smaller" than the EU cards. So what is that?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » February 22nd, 2021, 3:49 pm

European cards are 54x80 mm so this new cards are 50x79 approssimatively.
The corner also ha s adifferent angle.
Some comparative pics here, sorry for the quality theyy are from a video I was doing but stil have to edit it.

Rewards:
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » February 23rd, 2021, 6:46 pm

Nice, thanks! See, this is the sort of thing we're looking for with the "unboxing" for the game, so good practice!!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext