• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Overview of the Old World

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Overview of the Old World

Postby thequester » January 17th, 2021, 5:03 pm

Great points cornixt! A couple years ago I bought the 3rd edition WHFB rulebook, to get to know more about the world of Warhammer, as it looked at the time when Hero Quest was conceived. In it there are colour images of some of the art that we have in greyscale in the Hero Quest rulebook. I've been meaning to scan it and post it here, which I still intend to. The book is currently at my parents' house, but with covid I don't yet know when I'll go there again.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Killed a mighty Fimir!
thequester

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Pancho » January 17th, 2021, 5:21 pm

thequester wrote:A really good reference on Warhammer Fantasy lore is:
https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki

I use it whenever I wanna know some details about the Olde World of Warhammer. I like the idea of HQ happening in an earlier era than WHFB, where gunpowder might not yet have been invented, and the idea that our Prince Magnus might have been the "young noble" who later became emperor Magnus the Pious.

Thanks for this. I also really like your idea of the earlier setting and Prince Magnus.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Davane » January 18th, 2021, 1:21 am

The information on Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay was created just prior to HQ, and a lot of that can be used to colour your games of HQ. That includes Fimir, by the way.

It's worth noting that the Warhammer World pre Age of Sigmar (or Age of Shitmar as it is referred to by a friend of mine), AKA the Oldhammer World, has become one of the most popular fantasy settings in the world SINCE GW torched it. This has been driven by the phenomenal success of the Total War: Warhammer franchise, to the point that even GW considered bringing back the Warhammer World and WFB a few years back, with new models. Ultimately, they decided against it, fearing that it would compete with, and eclipse, AoS sales and render everything they have done over the past five or so years redundant.

Personally, I would say anything up to AoS is fair game, using an additive design approach - that is, nothing really goes from the Warhammer World, and there's always room to add more things as desired. It's also worth noting that the Empire and the Old World is a sort of nexus for the Warhammer World, in that whilst things may exist in the larger Warhammer World, it's not uncommon to find enclaves of even the farthest flung new lands hidden in the heart of the Old World. Thus, you can get Lizardmen clans hiding in the heart of the Reikwald, even as they mostly exist in the distant jungles of Lustria.
"The HeroQuest World is loosely based on the Warhammer World which is the copyright of Games Workshop and is used by their permission."

HeroQuest Combined English Edition Rule Book (HQ CERB)
Davane

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » January 18th, 2021, 4:19 am

Anybody have the dates for these particular releases we're talking about? I think if you're trying to match up the Warhammer fantasy materials that might "fit" with these Hero Quest releases, that would be helpful. If you know who worked on them, that's good too.

Decide for yourself how strictly you're going to take this material. I'm satisfied looking at it as another dimension. If this were the comics world, it surely would be a bunch of "alternate earths" or something. It can surely be annoying when a company decides to "change the canon" but that is only as impactful as you let it.

Looks like thequester's book goes for about $50 + shipping on ebay.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby thequester » January 18th, 2021, 5:36 am

Davane wrote:It's also worth noting that the Empire and the Old World is a sort of nexus for the Warhammer World, in that whilst things may exist in the larger Warhammer World, it's not uncommon to find enclaves of even the farthest flung new lands hidden in the heart of the Old World. Thus, you can get Lizardmen clans hiding in the heart of the Reikwald, even as they mostly exist in the distant jungles of Lustria.

I love this, thanks for the insight Davane!

Rewards:
thequester

Fimir
Fimir

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » January 18th, 2021, 5:54 am

Last edited by j_dean80 on February 12th, 2021, 8:28 am, edited 8 times in total.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby thequester » January 18th, 2021, 7:15 am

If I remember correctly, the 3rd edition WHFB rulebook also has clues hinting at why the spell system of Hero Quest was made the way it was - being separated into spells of the four elements.

Rewards:
thequester

Fimir
Fimir

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » January 18th, 2021, 8:19 am

thequester wrote:If I remember correctly, the 3rd edition WHFB rulebook also has clues hinting at why the spell system of Hero Quest was made the way it was - being separated into spells of the four elements.

The book was released prior to HQ though?

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby thequester » January 18th, 2021, 8:26 am

j_dean80 wrote:
thequester wrote:If I remember correctly, the 3rd edition WHFB rulebook also has clues hinting at why the spell system of Hero Quest was made the way it was - being separated into spells of the four elements.

I believe so... So if my memory serves me, it would seem like the elemental-magic-something I saw in the 3rd edition WHFB rulebook might have inspired the Hero Quest magic system. But it's been years since I looked in that rulebook, so don't take my word for it, better check it for yourselves.

Rewards:
thequester

Fimir
Fimir

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » January 18th, 2021, 8:43 am

thequester wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:

I believe so... So if my memory serves me, it would seem like the elemental-magic-something I saw in the 3rd edition WHFB rulebook might have inspired the Hero Quest magic system. But it's been years since I looked in that rulebook, so don't take my word for it, better check it for yourselves.

Well I ended up ordering the book (wife keeps telling me to read more anyways, so why not make it fun).

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion