• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Crafting a new HeroQuest board

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Crafting a new HeroQuest board

Postby elvyler » May 13th, 2020, 9:58 am

Weltenlaeufer wrote:I love this project, great job man!

Thanks. I just took a look at the tiles that you've been working on. They look really good. I really like the idea that you came up with to add spacers in the corridors so that you can have full walls outside of the rooms. I wish I had seen your posts before I started working on my project, I would have borrowed that idea.
elvyler

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby elvyler » May 14th, 2020, 9:37 am

Worked on a lot of different things yesterday. Didn't get very far in any of them.

The gridlines are done on the corridors now. I started working on some doors. Instead of doing several open doors and a few closed doors, I wanted the doors to be able to open. This turned out to be a bit of a difficult task. I worked on a couple of iterations.

This one uses pieces of cardboard as a hinge wrapped around a skewer.

The second variation has the skewer glued to the door slab and inserted into holes in the door frame.

I'm not sure which one I like more, and they are both equally challenging to assemble.

I also put together a secret door, I like it and it works well, so I don't think I need to make any changes to it.
elvyler

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:

Postby BigDaddio » May 16th, 2020, 8:39 pm

Terrific doors! I love this thread, thank you so much for sharing. Foam definitely seems to be the way to go for custom boards and furniture. (in my opinion).
BigDaddio

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby elvyler » May 19th, 2020, 1:51 pm

I came up with an idea to support the outside of the board.

I had these metal brackets laying around. I had originally bought them a while ago at Home Depot to fix something around the house, but never ended up using them. They were only a couple dollars each I think, so not a huge investment.

By accident, I discovered that when they are stacked together, they are the exact same thickness as my tiles.

So I glued them together and threw on a coat of paint. Hopefully with one of these in each corner, the board will be more stable.

elvyler

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:

Postby Anderas » May 19th, 2020, 3:16 pm

nice one! And elegant, simple!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Maike05 » May 19th, 2020, 4:57 pm

Liking what I'm seeing up to now :)
Can't wait to see the board painted.
Keep up the good the work!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby BigDaddio » May 20th, 2020, 5:30 pm

There's nothing wrong with how those tables are painted, they look great. Thank you for continuing to share your progress with us!
BigDaddio

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby elvyler » May 22nd, 2020, 1:48 am

Alright, it's paint time. I've been putting this off a bit because wasn't sure where to start. Finally I decided to just randomly pick one to start. Managed to get 5 rooms painted. The colours don't match perfectly, I've been having difficulty trying to match the colours. So far it looks alright though.

After painting I decided to throw together a little staircase tile.

I wish I had some mini's to show off on it.
elvyler

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:

Postby Anderas » May 22nd, 2020, 3:24 am

Start with a bright base color if you have difficulties coming to the best match. You could "snow" your black tiles from a spraycan, lightly.

Then it looks as if you used the same wash for all different coloured tiles?

As a start they're already great though!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » May 22nd, 2020, 10:34 am

Your painting looks great! When I painted mine I was somehow able to match the colors I wanted (I used an "over-exposed" board for reference) surprisingly well and I really can't say how... It just kind of happened. It just seemed so easy to paint and I believe you are discovering the same.

My project starts here: http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=4254&hilit=whitebeard+projects&start=60#p88130

There are a few tricks I would recommend:
(1) Paint black (like you are already doing) then dry brush white as a first step to help highlight the top most bits (see my works in progress). This undercoat gradient shows through thin layers of paint and looks fantastic.
(2) Paint the room with an exaggerated bright version of the color you want. This should still capture the gradients in the manner you have already done.
(3) Mix up your own BLACK and BLACK/BROWN washes (50% paint, 50% water, and a tiny bit of soap to break surface tension (I just used hand soap) and just brush it over the whole thing to darken and bring back any deep details which may have lost definition. You can even use the black wash in 3-5 applications to re-create the shadows near the walls.
(4) after the wash is dry, go back with the exaggerated color (colors) and add random highlights

Again, this is looking really great!
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion