• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Might have a HQ hoarding problem!

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Might have a HQ hoarding problem!

Postby iKarith » May 4th, 2021, 7:25 am

This one is a fairly standard picture of the 28x22 wood/cork board that shows up online:

This is a 200 DPI board for printing:

Here's another look at the wood/cork board with the original for comparison:

There's two problems I see with this iconic wood and cork German HQ board. One, it doesn't fold, and it's freakin' huge. This one at least does not appear to be made of two or four pieces, to aid with storage—others were, which as I said was part of the impetus for doubling the corridors in the first place.

The second problem is a personal/aesthetic one that I hope would be taken as constructive criticism if it were being posted for the first time today. I've been watching a LOT of videos on making and painting terrain lately for inspiration for my own project. Probably this one predates YouTube, actually, but I would suggest that the homebrew board looks great, but … flat. The tiles look like they have a coat of paint on them. Looks like they started with a black base coat and then painted over that with acrylic craft paints. Which is fine—it's how I'd do it at least! But if they made a couple of washes, a black and a brown (depending on the room), it'd tone down those colors a lot and darken the board substantially. Now, a major complaint I have of terrain crafting channels is that their stuff always looks to me like fifty shades of black on camera, but that's in large part because they start with gray and brown. You've got primary colors here, but don't be afraid to make it darker than you think it should be. I'd go back then and paint highlights with a very light dry brushing of … I think you'd need three colors. a light tan or khaki, a very pale blue, and an ivory or bone white.

Corridors would get the khaki. The central gray room would get the blue, and the green as well (very lightly for the green!) I'd go back and hit the faded yellow rooms with the white, and the green room again (again lightly, but this one will be easier to see what to do to taste…) The others would get the khaki. If you want to do the kind of streak across the central room, do that in khaki as well, and maybe dust some of the white where it seems to want to be all over.

And then we just put a happy little orc right there. He's just gonna stand there, he won't hurt anybody.

:orc: Growmrrrrrghhggghhh… Stupid elf-thing…

ETA: Maybe some of the white in the blue rooms would be in order.
<InSpectreRetro> All hail Zargon!!! Morcar only has 1BP.

Rewards:
Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » May 4th, 2021, 11:40 am

Now I understand what you mean about the German boards (like the "German colored dice" I so enjoy using). For a little bit I thought you were meaning the actual German Heroquest board that came with the game was bigger. ;) I give credit to German gamers, they designed cool blood mods for a lot of PC games I enjoyed in the early 2000's (since so much of that stuff was censored there). I think its great when stuff like that crosses oceans to benefit fans around the world.

Could some of the "brightness" though be due to camera flashes and other photography artifacts? I know when I try to photograph stuff I've painted it often ends up looking different depending upon the display I view it on, and it's all goofy because my workshop uses fluorescent lighting (and when I play, it may not be the same kind of lighting condition).

Or it could be they were going for a slightly different aesthetic than the original. When I was making my homebrew cards, I ended up "yellowing" a lot of them, to make them match the set we had as kids (which has cards that are now faded or yellowed in many places). Alternately I created some that were pure white, like something fresh off the factory press. At times I have mixed these together, which doesn't hurt anything but it makes some of them stand out "oh yeah, that's from the third batch" or whatever.

It has been interesting playing virtually trying to get the contrast just right so the remote viewer (sounds very ESPer!) can tell what the heck is going on at a glance.

Edit: I see what you mean above, the colors may be accurately represented. I was just having flashbacks painting my reaper minis and working on the frozen horror, and thinking it looked green when in reality the lighting was doing that (it turned out the proper blue I was going for).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » May 4th, 2021, 3:15 pm

Kurgan wrote:That reminds me, were the EQP/BQP tiles double sided, because it kind of looks that way on the scans.

Yes, they are double sided.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion