• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Age of Sigmar: HeroQuest

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Age of Sigmar: HeroQuest

Postby knightkrawler » January 4th, 2019, 10:00 am

I think this isn't even a question about personal taste.
The question is: can any company add anything to that game that we need and can't do ourselves in such a way that we would spend money for a reason that is not "collecting every fantasy boardgame I come across"?
And I'm talking about the end product: rules + quests + background + material. Not about the fact that of course everyone manufacturers minis that we incorporate.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Goblin-King » January 4th, 2019, 12:44 pm

knightkrawler wrote:The question is: can any company add anything to that game that we need and can't do ourselves in such a way that we would spend money for a reason that is not "collecting every fantasy boardgame I come across"?
And I'm talking about the end product: rules + quests + background + material. Not about the fact that of course everyone manufacturers minis that we incorporate.

Interesting view... I think when it comes down to it, HeroQuesters are a kinda special breed. A combination of the invitation to easily make your own quests and all the admittedly flaws and errors in the game, we are kinda required to be extra creative.
Can any company add anything to that game that we need and can't do ourselves? Well *lemony goodness*... no? But can literally any game do anything, creative people can't do themselves?

I guess a new version of HQ could consolidate all these years of creativity into an official version of the "definitive" HeroQuest.
It would also make HQ more available. Not everybody like buying used stuff on eBay, and many most certainly don't like to spend that kind of money on a tattered game with missing and broken parts.

Idunno... I'm really on the fence...
On one hand HQ should just be left in peace, but on the other hand I could see new young people getting into it.
Especially as Age of Sigmar is beginning to find itself. Honestly, besides the fact that Warhammer Fantasy had to die to pave the road, I think the new setting is really cool. It's very different, sure, but different doesn't necessarily mean bad.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » January 5th, 2019, 6:26 am

Goblin-King wrote:...I guess a new version of HQ could consolidate all these years of creativity into an official version of the "definitive" HeroQuest.
It would also make HQ more available...

But one thing is if they do the same game with all the original stuff but just updating questbook and rulebook by correcting the mistakes or the unclear parts; also including extra miniatures and a new questbook like they already did with the Dark Company (but with a poor result in my humble opinion).
Another thing is if they will came with a different game quoting "HeroQuest" just in the name to attract HQ fans like a spanish company already tried to do.

A definitive HeroQuest based on the rules that fans proposed through the years are even not possible I guess: there are too many rules, some are in contrast with others, so who will decide wich one must be applied to an ipotetic new release? If they will apply X rule they will make X user happy but Y user unhappy.

So I think the best way to release a new version of Heroquest should be : leave the game as it is now, correcting the few mistakes (short sword card for example), including a new bestiary table (or cards) featuring easy mode (EUR bestiary with 1 BP for each monster) and hard mode (USA bestiary with multiple BP), a new rulebook featuring advanced and optional rules (use of special dice with different faces, new way to search traps and more), including the Chaos Spells cards for the villains, new cards featuring also extra (balanced) equipment, artifacts, treasures, few extra miniatures for Sir Manfred, Witch Lord and other villains or NPC. A separate modular board could also be available separately. All the artworks should remain the same and the new ones must be compatible with the old one. They should also re-release all the expansion packs adding a new sprue of figures like Skulmar and Kessandria and the extra artifact cards but at the same time they should put on the market brand new questpacks that we could buy to expand the game with new quality miniatures, tiles and cards.
That is, in my opinion, the best and only way to release a new version of HeroQuest.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » January 5th, 2019, 6:43 am

I would be fine with new official expansion packs being released. Leave the original nostalgic game alone. The expansions should come with classic style Citadel miniatures (no more gluing arms and heads on). I like some of the newer models released but come on...can't I just get one that is ready to play without spending an hour or so gluing it together?
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » January 5th, 2019, 2:13 pm

j_dean80 wrote:I would be fine with new official expansion packs being released. Leave the original nostalgic game alone. The expansions should come with classic style Citadel miniatures (no more gluing arms and heads on). I like some of the newer models released but come on...can't I just get one that is ready to play without spending an hour or so gluing it together?

This.
Not to mention poses you can't paint when assembled... just no. Saving the assembly time with one-part-minis means at the same time having miniatures you can paint everywhere.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » January 6th, 2019, 6:16 am

lestodante wrote:A definitive HeroQuest based on the rules that fans proposed through the years are even not possible I guess

Definitely not! That's why I said a "version". Obviously somebody would have to make the decisions what goes in and what is cut. |_P

lestodante wrote:the artworks should remain the same and the new ones must be compatible with the old one. They should also re-release all the expansion packs adding a new sprue of figures like Skulmar and Kessandria and the extra artifact cards but at the same time they should put on the market brand new questpacks that we could buy to expand the game with new quality miniatures, tiles and cards.
That is, in my opinion, the best and only way to release a new version of HeroQuest.

Don't get me wrong! I agree 100%. Literally pick HQ up from where it ended. Same plotline, layout, artstyle, miniatures quality... Just new and more. Make the wizard and dwarf quest packs happen.
But unless one of us suddenly becomes a millionaire and decides to make this happen with an almost guaranteed loss - It'll never happen :cry:

It's Sigmar or bust!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » January 6th, 2019, 5:16 pm

I candidate myself to become a millionaire! Any hint on what to do?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » January 6th, 2019, 5:23 pm

lestodante wrote:I candidate myself to become a millionaire! Any hint on what to do?

Acquire lots of money.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » January 6th, 2019, 6:20 pm

j_dean80 wrote:
lestodante wrote:I candidate myself to become a millionaire! Any hint on what to do?

Acquire lots of money.

A million or more. Not Lire. Euros or Pound Sterling, for all I care.
A battlecry, anyone?
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » January 7th, 2019, 10:51 am

For one million I'd buy a house in a nice area and put the rest aside for old-age-pension.

For three millions I'd do the same for half the family.

Give me ten millions and I make a pension to the whole family, including all our Colombian family members.

Naah, if you give me millions I have far too many responsible things to do with it. That's the curse of being middle-aged.

I should have made an ICO when that was still a fast way to gain 4 or 5 billions. On the other hand, that'd be investment money so you have to spend it on behalf of your investors, you can't walk away with it. :2cents:

fraggle I should just spend some days developing a AI that is constantly persuading some of you nerds to quit their jobs and do this project instead. I've heard on the 35C3 that modern AI is like a four year old toddler in terms of capabilities, only that you can copy and paste it indefinitely. Imagine an army of internet toddler trolls coming at you just to make you making a new market entry for HQ! Internet toddler trolls who know everything about your psyche so they can push the right buttons in your heads!

Muahahaha!

I shall call myself Morcar! :lol: |_P

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion