• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Videogames that remind you of HeroQuest in ANY way

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Videogames that remind you of HeroQuest in ANY way

Postby arntisdale » June 28th, 2020, 6:49 pm

Arcane Quest HD is also basically HeroQuest.
One of the cool things about it is that there are fan-created scenarios/campaigns that you can download. So, if/when you finish the main content, there's still more. The campaigns are even rated by those who've played them, so you can get a pretty good idea of which ones stood up to fan's expectations.
arntisdale

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby ChuckyMcNorris » August 3rd, 2020, 11:43 pm

Jalapenotrellis wrote:Surprised no one put the Diablo series on here. Or Quest For Glory. Or Skyrim. Or Divinity Original Sin 1/2. Heck any RPG.

Just looking at this thread for the first time and was equally surprised how long it took for Diablo to show up. While I've always loved HQ I could never really get into turn based RPG video games. When Diablo came along it was a revelation and everything I was looking for to bring back my HQ nostalgia in a faster paced PC format.

I love Diablo as much as I love HQ and its the one game I've actually managed to get my wife to play (board or video) with any regularity.
ChuckyMcNorris

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby Jalapenotrellis » August 4th, 2020, 12:29 am

Neverwinter nights :) just discovered this on Steam.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Azure » September 4th, 2020, 12:42 pm

Hello everybody and aaronAGN.
The games that really make me think of HeroQuest are the following :

DARK QUEST 1 & 2 on STEAM
ARCANE QUEST 1, 2, 3 on Mobile (Android // Cellphone)
Legend of Zelda (the original on NES)
Final Fantasy 1 on NES
GURK 1, 2, 3 (Android//Cellphone)
Wizardry : Labyrinth of Lost Souls on STEAM
Azure

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Postby Super Saiyan Musashi » July 15th, 2021, 5:49 pm

Pardon the thread revival but I didn't see this until now.

For me it's Shining Force: tactical game with grid movement. In fact, playing Lurchbrick's game got me back into Shining Force and I finally played Shining Force 3 in its entirety thanks to fan-made translation patches.
Super Saiyan Musashi

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Davane » July 16th, 2021, 9:53 am

How do you define a "HeroQuest" like game?

Almost any top-down turn-based old-school RPG could be considered as a HQ game based on the loose criteria given above. As such, I'd present pretty much any of the games from Spiderweb Software (Avernum, Geneforge, Avadon, ect.) as being reminders for HQ, the earlier the better.

Heck, you could probably make some extremely accurate recreations of HQ adventures using the Blades of Avernum (aka Avernum 3.5) software, which might be fun to play...
"The HeroQuest World is loosely based on the Warhammer World which is the copyright of Games Workshop and is used by their permission."

HeroQuest Combined English Edition Rule Book (HQ CERB)
Davane

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby Kurgan » July 18th, 2021, 1:00 pm

I'd go with those who say the original Gauntlet games. You may not be fighting orcs (though the monsters remind me of orcs and goblins and while HQ didn't have ghosts until Legacy of Sorasil, death is basically a skeleton albeit a very powerful one!) but when you play you are even dealing with tiles and such (though a lot more focus on gathering food and keys!). Limited Monster Generators and a more armor-focused character are little mods that I think fit well into a homebrew HeroQuest campaign.

Golden Axe also comes to mind but of course its use of magic (and the presence of offensive mounts) makes it rather different. Great game of course!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby HispaZargon » July 18th, 2021, 1:26 pm

Kurgan wrote:Golden Axe also comes to mind but of course its use of magic (and the presence of offensive mounts) makes it rather different. Great game of course!

Yeah, Golde Axe was a great and legenday videogames series, released at the same time period as HeroQuest gameboard. Attending to its 'Conan' look it is imposible not to also think in HeroQuest and some other fantasy products of the same ages.

Once in the past I though to design some kind of HeroQuest campaign based in the Golden Axe lore. I also found in this link three perfect miniatures for the main characters, I think it could be very funny so, maybe one day...

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kyle+ » September 12th, 2021, 9:12 pm

For me its Golden Axe and Blackthorne. I actually listen to the blackthorne soundtrack while playing Heroquest and the nostalgia is insane!
Kyle+

Goblin
Goblin

Postby Sargon » February 3rd, 2022, 2:43 pm

Jalapenotrellis wrote:Surprised no one put the Diablo series on here. Or Quest For Glory.

Especially considering that Quest for Glory was originally known as "Hero's Quest" and the name had to be changed due to Milton Bradley's HeroQuest trademark. Other than that, Quest for Glory isn't all that similar to HeroQuest, but it does happen to be one of my all-time favorite PC games. With Microsoft's impending purchase of Activision (and therefore the rights to the old Sierra IP's) one can dream about a potential Quest for Glory revival, but I doubt that is likely to happen anytime soon. At least we still have the spiritual successors like Mage's Initiation and Hero-U.
Sargon

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion