• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Definitive, Unofficially Official, HQ Cartography Discussion

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Definitive, Unofficially Official, HQ Cartography Discus

Postby clmckay » July 22nd, 2016, 3:31 pm

Anderas wrote:Just tried to localize Kellar's Keep.

Karak Varn is easily findable. Northeast of the Black Fire Pass.
The east gate, on the other hand, seems to be a little bit very far away from Karak Varn. Doesn't seem logical to travel a 600 miles under the mountain.

All the other places of the quest book seem to be under the mountains, at least i was not able to find them.
next i try rotwl! I don't give up fast! :) :lol:

For my map I use the same location for Karak Varn but put the location of the east gate as overlooking Black Water, just a bit on the south. I didn't mark any of the other locations between there, just assuming they occur on a more or less straight path between the start and ending quests.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Anderas » July 22nd, 2016, 4:20 pm

Yes, that would fit! Less than 50 miles in 10 Quests, part of which really are just going forward like in the spiral stairway - yes that would fit! I take it for my map, too.

Return of the witch lord is more difficult. After two hours of staring at a map (my wife staring at some strange woman's film in the tv) i didn't find it.

I finally found that entirely other people were already searching for the mystical city of Kalos
http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?t=1492&p=16386

So i have given up.
I was not searching on the small map, but on this official seeming big old world map; plus on this extra extra extra extra large fan map but nothing.

I guess the Witch lord would hide in the land of the dead so i searched all the borderlands of it, and all of the HQ World map, but maybe i am just to blind to find Kalos. Besides, Kalos as a name is just a simple copy from Arnie's Conan, or not? Definitely not from Robert E. Howards Conan, i would know that.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby clmckay » July 22nd, 2016, 5:29 pm

You won't find Kalos or the Plains of Death (or whatever it is called in RotWL) on warhammer maps. I looked for hours and finally gave up.

For my map I placed Kalos at the city marked Morgheim, through the badlands. To me, the location feels appropriate. It's isolated and you have to travel through the Badlands (Plain of Death) to get there. I think I just told my players the name was changed to Morgheim after it was sacked, abandoned by people and taken over by the dead. I couldn't find any real Warhammer reference to the city or what happened there, so I took it as open for my use. That location also flows quite well if your players finish KK at the locations described in the previous post. They just keep traveling south.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:

Postby QorDaq » July 22nd, 2016, 6:29 pm

I had never seen that map before... It's pretty awesome.

maj!
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » July 23rd, 2016, 3:46 pm

Ok.
I was trying to find the Ogre Hordes.
Here we have at least regions in the Warhammer world marked as Ogre lands, but the Ogre Hordes doesn't play in the Ogre lands, so this is not helpful. No location.

Then i searched the Wizards of Morcar. They're really cool because in nearly every quest there are hints and location names.
Nothing.

Am i blind? Did i just not see the locations?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » July 23rd, 2016, 4:01 pm

clmckay wrote:
Anderas wrote:Just tried to localize Kellar's Keep.

Karak Varn is easily findable. Northeast of the Black Fire Pass.
The east gate, on the other hand, seems to be a little bit very far away from Karak Varn. Doesn't seem logical to travel a 600 miles under the mountain.

All the other places of the quest book seem to be under the mountains, at least i was not able to find them.
next i try rotwl! I don't give up fast! :) :lol:

For my map I use the same location for Karak Varn but put the location of the east gate as overlooking Black Water, just a bit on the south. I didn't mark any of the other locations between there, just assuming they occur on a more or less straight path between the start and ending quests.

Aren't all the locations in Kellar's Keep within Karak Varn? Karak Varn being a dwarf fortress, including many underground halls and tunnels.
All the individual locations doesn't need specific placement in my opinion.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby clmckay » July 23rd, 2016, 5:32 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Aren't all the locations in Kellar's Keep within Karak Varn? Karak Varn being a dwarf fortress, including many underground halls and tunnels.

I think you're right, depending in how you implement an overworkd system.

For me, it's helpful to have a distinct end point, especially since the story moves it outside at th very end -the battle. So it allows the group to find itself on the other side of the mountain range and thus in a different geographic location. It's not needed at all if you don't use a detailed overworld travel system, but I do, so it adds nuance to the game and hero decisions.

Anderas, I couldn't find any of the locations from AtOH or WoM on a map either. If you're interested I can look up where I plunked each of those locations and let you know. I'm on my ipad now and don't have the relevant map sections available to me. Note: you won't find the FH or MotM locations there either. I keep PDFs of everything and just annotate updated names for the specific location names in WoM, FH and a the MotM ones

Rewards:
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » July 23rd, 2016, 8:01 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Aren't all the locations in Kellar's Keep within Karak Varn? Karak Varn being a dwarf fortress, including many underground halls and tunnels.

I think so.
Kellar's Keep is inspired in very large part by The Lord of the Rings's Moria chapter and I think the journey might take the heroes similarly long.
A few days, two or three quests sometimes taking place in one day, sleeping in safe corners in between, watching chains dangling down wells, and stuff.
Come to think of it, it's veeeeery obvious, what with that Gargoyle coming up at the last moment and trying to cut off their way to the outside.
It's the Balrog, that Gargoyle.

So yeah, it's nice to know the entrance point and the exit point, but in terms of geographical detail that's all we need to pinpoint on a map.

Interestingly, I saw Lord of the Rings by Ralph Bakshi on TV around 1990, around the time I played KK first.
I actually thought it was a HeroQuest movie until I read TLOTR in 1994.

Aaah, the nostalgia is overwhelming me again.
*squirt* *jizz-ZZZZ-zzz* *rrRRRrrrrh* |_P
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby clmckay » July 23rd, 2016, 9:04 pm

knightkrawler wrote:...
*squirt* *jizz-ZZZZ-zzz* *rrRRRrrrrh* |_P

I dunno who made all the little icons, but I really think we need a Fimir smoking a cigarette to go along with that last comment!

Rewards:
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » July 24th, 2016, 2:08 pm

Clmckay, yes that would be nice! Thanks.

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion