• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Definitive, Unofficially Official, HQ Cartography Discussion

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Definitive, Unofficially Official, HQ Cartography Discus

Postby Dezziedc » January 18th, 2020, 9:03 pm

Based on the maps guys, would you guess that the Old World is relatively flat? Except for the mountains and the hill regions it's all pretty much even (just above sea level) ? There doesn't seem to be any sort of "highlands" or areas where the ground inclines to a different level.
Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Anderas » January 19th, 2020, 1:51 am

:lol: I am certain there are
But as it is an RPG map, you can't see the difference between 10m and 50m above sea level. (I am from northern Germany. 50m, that's Highlands for me. For 100 m, I draw a "Mountain" symbol :D :lol: )

No, seriously. If you take a look at the Blackfire Pass, it's colored like the badlands like the coastal regions like nearly everything on that ancient official map. I guess it is called "Pass" for a reason, it won't really be on sea level. I guess, as a northern german guy, I would paint a mountain underneath the pass. |_P

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Dezziedc » January 19th, 2020, 3:50 pm

Thanks Anderas.

The reason I ask is because on this map http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/shdmotwow-full.html to the east of the Worlds Edge Mountains that border the Old World, there seems to be content that indicate high plains. Areas Like Zorn Uzkul appear as though it is a high plain leading from the mountains. Then further to the North East is the Chaos Wastes which look as though it is an even higher plain. Then to the south you have the Plain of Zharr which looks as though it drops down past the level of the mountains.

Looking at it holistically, it makes the costal areas prior to the mountains look like lower level ground. There are heaps of hilly areas though.
Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Dezziedc » April 16th, 2020, 6:31 am

Anderas wrote:I just took a look at the map that i used: It is a map of the old world of Warhammer.

I really can't see the big differences except that we use only a part, and then a magnification in HQ.

I don't know if it is correct or anything... but it shall be a good basis for playing.

I used the questbook as basis,
made two story progressions,
added exactly one quest (find Gulthor)
and than came to this chart and this Map.
It is intended to provide some overland questing as well.
Plan is to add Kellars Keep, Ogre Hordes, Witch Lord and WoM as well, so the heroes have always something to discover if they travel somewhere.
Red quests are to be discovered only if the correct predecessor was already played,
Blue quests are for free discovering during overland travel, or if the EWP Card "Map" is drawn.
Purple quests are forced on the heroes. Here i want some more.

Target is in fact, to have in every fourth or fifth square some quest.
Well. First finish with the original HQ Questbooks. :)
Click for Big.

So shoot me now. :)

The Map is put together from two smaller pieces (Goblin King's "classic Warhammer Map"), in some hours of stitching and connecting broken lines and repainting some mountains. It is smaller than it could be, just because it is exported from Powerpoint. The original size, you can have here:

Anderas, just curious as to how you came up with each of the locations?
Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Dezziedc » April 16th, 2020, 6:55 am

Presti70 wrote:According with these ancient official maps:

I made my personal Heroquest map with the following rules (english from google translator):
Each numbered black dot, marks the location of each quest.

CAMPAIGN MAP
Use the Campaign Map to move the Heroes into the world of Heroquest, spend coins on daily board and lodging, track the time for daily routes and heal wounds by resting in taverns...
Each green, yellow or orange dot represents a place where it is possible to camp (the small white dots indicate the roads and are not considered).
Yellow dots represent small Villages, Green the Cities and Orange the Fortress.
It is possible to buy Equipment and Mercenaries only in the cities.

DAILY ROUTES
Walk: 1 location.
Mule: 2 locations.
Horse: 3 locations.

For example, from Nuln to Altdorf, it takes 3 walking days; 2 days on a mule and 1 day on a horse.

PRICES
1 litre of Ale/Beer/Wine: 1 gold
Daily fodder: 1 gold
Lodging in a Inn : 1 gold
Daily Meal: 3 gold
Mule/Donkey: 100 gold
Horse: 1.000 gold
Horse War: 3.000 gold

SPONTANEOUS HEALING
Every hero who has suffered injuries heals 1PC or 1PM of his choice on a daily basis, but only if he rests comfortably in a home, inn or in any other comfortable and sheltered place (for example, if a hero has lost 5 PCs, he can recover through spells/potions or resting 5 days in an inn).
A hero can rest freely at any location with his own resources, but he inhibits his spontaneous healing.

DAILY MEALS
Anyone who does not consume each day a ration of Daily Meal, loses 1 PC and inhibits his Spontaneous Healing. The cost of each daily meal is 3 gold coins (whether it is a fresh or long-life meal).

NOTE
At the beginning of their first adventure (The Trial), each Hero receives 50 gold coins. Make good use to pay food and housing ...

Presti - where did you get that last map? I'd love a better copy of that if possible. One with the locations marked and one without.
Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Anderas » April 16th, 2020, 7:16 am

Dezziedc wrote:

In parts I just followed Sotiris awesome precursor map that he prepared for his play by post game, and then adapted it to the higher detail level of the big map.

Two or three locations are known, the rest is down to playability and scenery. Orc camps shall be in remote areas. The Wizard hides in a tower in the mountains. These kinds of things.

Playability is the most important factor.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Dezziedc » April 16th, 2020, 7:26 am

Anderas wrote:
Dezziedc wrote:

In parts I just followed Sotiris awesome precursor map that he prepared for his play by post game, and then adapted it to the higher detail level of the big map.

Two or three locations are known, the rest is down to playability and scenery. Orc camps shall be in remote areas. The Wizard hides in a tower in the mountains. These kinds of things.

Playability is the most important factor.

OK sweet. Thanks mate. I just wasn't sure if there was something in the texts that pointed to specific areas etc. But what you are saying makes sense.
Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Daedalus » May 27th, 2021, 1:22 am

Dave Morris' revised map for The Fellowship of Four:

It came from Dave Morris' blog. Thanks, Dezziedc!
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Dezziedc » May 27th, 2021, 3:07 am

Daedalus wrote:Dave Morris' revised map for The Fellowship of Four:

It came from Dave Morris' blog. Thanks, Dezziedc!

No problems mate. As I said in the other post, I've just modernized that same map (with some assistance from Dave himself)...

Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Daedalus » May 27th, 2021, 9:23 am

That looks awesome! It's great that you've clarified some of the illegible locations.Also easy on the eyes.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion