• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Spear in NA version

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Spear in NA version

Postby knightkrawler » January 28th, 2016, 11:02 am

I don't think it's necessary to even make it a point, because both staff and spear are way too unattractive, even if they can be used with a shield.
Every hero will drop both these weapons for something better the first chance they get.
Last edited by knightkrawler on January 28th, 2016, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Decipher » January 28th, 2016, 11:27 am

The real question is, should a Wizard be able to use a spear? Which if they can, it would be a huge upgrade for the Wizard because a Wizard can't use a shield.

Spear:
"Gives you the attack strength of 2 combat dice, can be thrown at a monster you can "see", can be recovered after thrown and enables you to attack diagonally. You may not use a shield while using this weapon." This allow anyone to use it but entices the Wizard because its better than the staff and since the Wizard can't use a shield anyway, it has no negatives for the Wizard. I've always felt the Wizard is severally handicapped when it comes to combat, which I understand the concept of his spells being his main weapon, but as the Wizard climbs higher in a quest book, he needs to be able to hang with the other players and be able to hit monsters. Nothing sucks more than a Wizard who has cast all his spells only to be reduced to trying to hit a Chaos Warrior with a dagger or staff.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » January 28th, 2016, 2:25 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:As for the staff, EU edition, it's meant for the Wizard, who won't use a shield.
But anyone can use it and save 50gp. If you're playing that there's only one available for each card it could still be a problem if they're not really working together. There's no way a staff should be one handed, that's really silly. It should really increase defence by at least two and the broadsword and longsword by at least one though if you want to get technical.

mitchiemasha wrote:
Gold Bearer wrote:Because it's small and very easy to reach over. Shortswords are stabbing weapons.
Yeah I get that but it doesn't work, lol. One could reach over with a large weapon. Being able to 2 wield it is much better, with the axe too. A trade off for having a shield, makes it a perfect mechanic choice. 2 attacks or stronger defence.
I'm not sure I'd make the shortsword a diagonal weapon if I was making them from scratch but I like to keep the standard rules and build around when possible. It does work, it's just not the only way that works. The spear and shortsword are the two diagonal weapons because they're the only two stabbing weapons, the logic being you'd only get a glancing blow with a broadsword swipe.

knightkrawler wrote:I think it's necessary to even make it a point, because both staff and spear are way too unattractive, even if they can be used with a shield.
Every hero will drop both these weapons for something better the first chance they get.
If you're using a the longsword I suppose but in the EU equipment the spear is always very useful.

Decipher wrote:The real question is, should a Wizard be able to use a spear? Which if they can, it would be a huge upgrade for the Wizard because a Wizard can't use a shield.
Again, US equipment yea, but in the EU rules a staff attacks with two dice so the only upgrade would be that it can be thrown.
Last edited by Gold Bearer on January 28th, 2016, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » January 28th, 2016, 3:56 pm

In my game the spear is a one handed, 2 dice diagonal attack weapon that may be thrown, but is lost. Costs 200gc and may not be used by a wizard.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sotiris » January 28th, 2016, 4:29 pm

The Admiral wrote:In my game the spear is a one handed, 2 dice diagonal attack weapon that may be thrown, but is lost. Costs 200gc and may not be used by a wizard.

Same for my game but when you throw it you roll 4 dice.
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » January 28th, 2016, 4:44 pm

Sotiris wrote:
The Admiral wrote:In my game the spear is a one handed, 2 dice diagonal attack weapon that may be thrown, but is lost. Costs 200gc and may not be used by a wizard.

That's a good idea. Do you do the same for Hand Axes?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby SirRick » January 28th, 2016, 5:01 pm

Sotiris wrote:

Im curious, do you impose some sort of maximum range or distance penalty of some kind for a thrown weapon? For example if a hero on one side of the board wants to throw a weapon at a monster at the opposite side of the board?

Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
SirRick

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » January 28th, 2016, 5:59 pm

SirRick wrote: Im curious, do you impose some sort of maximum range or distance penalty of some kind for a thrown weapon? For example if a hero on one side of the board wants to throw a weapon at a monster at the opposite side of the board?

The easiest mod for thrown weapons is to link the Max range to a hero's body points. If that's too short, double it.

I've added it to my 2 page download as I've just realised it's missing, 3.2 here we come, lol!!!
Last edited by mitchiemasha on January 28th, 2016, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » January 28th, 2016, 6:05 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:
mitchiemasha wrote:As for the staff, EU edition, it's meant for the Wizard, who won't use a shield.
But anyone can use it and save 50gp. If you're playing that there's only one available for each card it could still be a problem if they're not really working together. There's no way a staff should be one handed, that's really silly. It should really increase defence by at least two and the broadsword and longsword by at least one though if you want to get technical.

Yeah, I agree, it would be 2 handed or at least a combination of.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sotiris » January 29th, 2016, 2:09 am

The Admiral wrote:
Sotiris wrote:

That's a good idea. Do you do the same for Hand Axes?

I do not use Hand Axes into my system but if i were to i would make it 3 dice when thrown.
SirRick wrote:Im curious, do you impose some sort of maximum range or distance penalty of some kind for a thrown weapon? For example if a hero on one side of the board wants to throw a weapon at a monster at the opposite side of the board?

No, i avoid these mechanics. mitchiemasha's suggestion is a good one though.
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion