• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Comparing HeroQuest miniatures to Reaper Bones

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Comparing HeroQuest miniatures to Reaper Bones

Postby Guybrush Threepwood » May 25th, 2014, 9:19 am

What can you say about the quality of the plastic used for the miniatures? I've never had any reaper bones so far but I'm a little afraid they might be to soft and get easily bent?
Guybrush Threepwood

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: Deutsch
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Teldurn » May 25th, 2014, 9:29 am

They are made of some sort of PVC resin (I'm not entirely sure, but it's different than other plastics used from other companies), which makes them super bendy. This is a good thing; someone tested this by driving a car over their minis and they didn't break. They just bent flat and then bent back to shape when the car got off. If they get bent out of shape, reshaping them is a snap. Just put them in hot water for a few minutes, take it out to reshape and run it under cold water to hold.
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » May 25th, 2014, 12:35 pm

I've reviewed them as well in the Bones kickstarter topic. They feel cheap (well, they are), but once painted they look great, and they're virtually unbreakable. And the hot water trick is fantastic. They simply bend back into the original shape, so you can never "bend" them in the wrong shape permanently. And the bigger/thicker the mini, the tougher they are. Some are pretty solid.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby LordZeke » May 25th, 2014, 4:21 pm

They are Similar to the material used in the dungeon and dragons adventure systems games.

I have been pretty happy with mine.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
LordZeke

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Redav » May 25th, 2014, 4:49 pm

Sjeng wrote:1. Probably not. I expect a Bones 3 next year.

Have they made noises about doing a third? Or is this just a hope?

Sjeng wrote:2. Yes, all of them and a few they already had in Bones.

How do you work out which of those can be bought from their site? The numbers from the KS site don't work.
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wolfie907 » May 25th, 2014, 6:20 pm

they are not doing a third one anytime soon they have made that clear on the reaper site

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
wolfie907

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » May 26th, 2014, 12:59 am

Sjeng wrote:2. Yes, all of them and a few they already had in Bones.

How do you work out which of those can be bought from their site? The numbers from the KS site don't work.[/quote]
All of the Bones 1 line is in the shop: http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Bones (except a few who didn't come out very well and were discontinued)

Bones 2 will be after production and shipping of the KS is done.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby wolfie907 » May 26th, 2014, 1:27 am

there site is pretty easy to navigate but there were 7 discontinued sculpts and the kickstart numbers were only for the kickstart they have new sku's so, id either just select bones and scroll through the lot or you can use their figure finder if you have a general idea of what your after

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
wolfie907

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Redav » May 26th, 2014, 2:24 am

Sjeng wrote:Bones 2 will be after production and shipping of the KS is done.

Ah, righto, that makes sense. I guess a date for that is an unknown. In fact, that's really good as I think I was only interested in a couple of Bones I models and there were a few Pathfinder and other Bones II's that I was interested in and I was kinda cringing at the idea of paying three times the price for the mini. That said, I think I'd happily buy the non Bones versions for a heroes.
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Renzetsu » May 26th, 2014, 9:38 am

Oh, I need to try that hot water trick. Thanks for the tip! Some of my Bones were a bit bent when they arrived. Some of the staves of the wizard minis were bent so I need to try to get them straight with the hot water trick. The material itself is soft yeah but at least you can't really break them if they drop on the floor or something.
Did someone ask for pictures of that dragon compared to the other monsters? Or to compare the other Bones minis with original monsters...? In any case, I'll take pictures of those soon and post them here so you can see ;)
Renzetsu

Hero:

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion