• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Did anyone ever actually use broadswords?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Did anyone ever actually use broadswords?

Postby Goblin-King » April 10th, 2012, 1:48 am

Daedalus wrote:All that said, I feel a Crossbow is seriously underpriced. I'd suggest a cost of 550 gold coins, which again would enhance the appeal of a Longsword.

I have always felt the crossbow should only grant 2 combat dice. Ranged combat is such a huuuuuge advantage!
Also, in the Danish rules at least, there is no longsword. I think it's an armory only thing? So that makes the battle axe the only choice if the barbarian wants to upgrade.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » April 10th, 2012, 1:00 pm

@Goblinking-
Maybe 650 gold coins would be a better price for the Crossbow. I'm still undecided. I think drathe went with 750. In my personal Armory rules, I'm going with a Shortbow that has 2 Attack dice and costs 350 or 450 gold coins. I'll retain the Crossbow with 3 Attack dice and a cost of 550 or 650 gold coins. I'm gonna make it a "May not be used with a Shield" weapon, because it's powerful enough already. Back in the day when I played, we didn't buy a Crossbow until late in the game, so I haven't yet seen it dominate. Not that I'm doubting it's a powerful weapon. Maybe I'll add a cost for ammo to balance things a bit, perhaps 10 gold coins per bolt.

Yeah, the Longsword is only found in the N. Amer. Armory. It functions like a Spear with 3 Attack dice that can't be thrown. In my own Armory, I'm replacing the role of the Longsword with the Halberd, which is currently only used by Mercenaries. The Halberd also has 3 Attack dice and may be used to attack diagonally. Additionally, I'm making it a weapon that "May not be used with a Shield."

I'm keeping the Longsword with 3 Attack dice, however I'm nixing the diagonal attack in favor of a parry ability that allows White Shields rolled by an attacking monster to be converted to bonus Defend dice for the Hero. Why change it? Because I don't get to play! :x I gotta do something.
Last edited by Daedalus on April 10th, 2012, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby drathe » April 10th, 2012, 1:25 pm

Daedalus wrote:I think drathe went with 750.

Not sure that was me. I've been using the tiered armoury for a while, but have kept the prices the same. Crossbow is introduced at the end of the GS.

As for attacking with the crossbow, we rule that it can't be used against any target standing on any of the eight squares surrounding the Hero.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » April 10th, 2012, 2:34 pm

@ Drathe-

Oops, my bad. :oops: I mistakenly put a modded Armory from Vince (Do You HQ?) into the folder that I use for your downloads of the Game System. He made it so slick that I didn't recognize it wasn't done by you. Thanks for setting things straight.

He set a Crossbow at 700 gold coins, by the way.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » April 10th, 2012, 5:55 pm

@Thrawn-
[Note: I'm getting my numbers off the assumption that a Hero garners an average of 81 gold coins per Quest in the Main System Quests. That number is based off of information from the Quest 6- all gold stolen thread.]

You certainly have a good point about the limited appeal of the Broadsword. It does have two advantages, however. First, it's cheaper than a Battle Axe, so it can be put in to use in three or four Quests rather than the six Quests needed to fund the purchase of the Battle Axe. It would make more sense to purchase it if you used the half-price sell-back option found in the EQP and BQP rules. The net 125 gold coins spent on it on the way to a Battle Axe is more justified this way--a Battle Axe just takes four or five more Quests to purchase after the Broadsword (totally eight Quests for both weapons rather than six for just a Battle Axe). Meanwhile, fifty percent more kills can be achieved for two or three Quests before a Battle Axe could be purchased alone--life's a journey. :) Delaying the purchase of a Battle Axe by two Quests gets you an extra Attack die two Quests earlier. It's at least an even trade, and with just a bit of Treasure deck luck (+10 gold coins over average), going with an intermediary Broadsword is even better by one Quest...assuming you sell back the Broadsword for half price.

It's other advantage--as with the Longsword--is that it can be used with a Shield while the Battle Axe may not. Being spared 1 in 3 hits is quite a boon that sometimes spells the difference between survival and beginning a new Hero while the others complete the Quest or retreat to the stairway. For that reason, some players prefer more security right after they buy the Helmet.

A Broadsword, Helmet, and Shield may all be purchased after seven Quests, while the Broadsword may be traded in for a Longsword after ten Quests. Directly purchasing a Longsword, Helmet, and Shield takes only Eight Quests. I'd agree with you that skipping a Broadsword in favor of saving just for a Longsword makes sense. The second advantage of the Broadsword really doesn't amount to much.

Aside from the sell back rule, other house ruling is possible. I agree that the Broadsword needs some polish. I'm working on an Armory system where certain weapons may be attributed an extra benefit when a Hero Point is spent. (Hero points are tied in with Body Points.) Ya know how the Barbarian always seems to be swinging his Broadsword with two hands in Hero Quest art? I'm giving the Broadsword the Smash ability when it is wielded without a Shield--spend a point and gain an additional Attack die. That allows the Broadsword to either be used with a Shield or function like a temporary Battle Axe.

Since the Broadsword is so integral to HQ art (it's even on the board!), I just can't abandon it to obscurity. I say house rule that puppy up to the weapon it should be.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby mako-heart » April 10th, 2012, 7:22 pm

I used Broadswords often, everytime i introduce new players they start with the charater card inventory. ambidextrous wielding would be cool. I realy like your idea about the "smash" skill, that seems like a perfect fit with the games cover art. thanks for the insight. :barbarian:
ALL YOUR WALL SPELL BASES ARE BELONG TO US!!!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
mako-heart

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » June 9th, 2012, 5:05 pm

So - here is another thought that might allow for a greater/wider use of the armory, plus any home brew
weapons and armors that groups might include.

Find a reason to get rid of weapons occasionally - heroes are captured and lose their equipment...weapon and
armor damage...acid spitting monsters that eat up weapons and armors - there could be many possibilities that
a group can use, some that even don't require the expansion of any HQ rules.

THEN...take into account the fact that some "dungeons" in which the heroes find themselves are far away from
civilization. They certainly can't wander around without a weapon or armor...so they'll go to the nearest village or
small town to buy something. They find there that the only things available are some daggers, some shields, MAYBE
a helmet and short sword.

Works for any other equipment you allow/require your heroes to have - perhaps healing potions here will heal only 2
BP instead of 4. Perhaps they don't have certain other potions.
It gives them a reason to spend their gold, as has been an issue for some on various other threads.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Previous

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion