• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Kurgan » October 11th, 2020, 6:15 pm

Oftkilted wrote:You don’t replace the secret door with an “open door” you place the secret door tile where the secret door is. It does sound like you need an open and a closed version of the tile. (It sounds like should have been double sided.) probably set it up rotated 90 degrees indicating closed and then rotating it to “correct” when opened. (Or it needs double sided artwork on the tile.)

It can’t really become a true “open door” as once it has been opened it can’t be closed.



It's true that the tile art for the Secret Door does show an "Opening" in the wall.

How we always played it is that we always replaced the tile with an actual "open door" plastic piece once they said to Zargon "Open the Door" and walked "through" it. We actually treated it identical to a "closed door" until that point. So the room behind it isn't revealed yet (just because you searched for Secret Doors), and monsters can't waltz through. It's just a tile indicating a Door is there, once you choose to open it. Before searching for Secret Doors, you would treat it like any other section of wall, impassable without a certain Spell card...

Am I adding an unnecessary extra step? You tell me. Doors don't get closed in HeroQuest*, but that's just an artificial game mechanic. Realism would dictate there's no reason why a Monster couldn't open or close a door independent of the Heroes. Are we assuming all doors are welded shut and the Heroes literally smash them down? ;)

In a pinch you could make due. Again, irrelevant if The Maze isn't included in the remake...



*I know there are exceptions to everything, like the beginning "Wooden Door" in the expansion packs.


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7116
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Goblin-King » October 11th, 2020, 6:37 pm

You are not supposed to replace secret door tiles with open doors.

You search - Tile is placed - you move adjacent to the tile - you open the secret door - the room is placed


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Kurgan » October 11th, 2020, 7:06 pm

Goblin-King wrote:You are not supposed to replace secret door tiles with open doors.

You search - Tile is placed - you move adjacent to the tile - you open the secret door - the room is placed



I consulted the NA rulebook and I'm shocked, but you're actually right! It DOES NOT SAY you ever have to replace the tile with a standard open door. So as long as you remember where you've been and what you've done, it's fine, "there are enough doors," and I HAVE been "doing it wrong" all these years.

|_P


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7116
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Leathaface79 » October 11th, 2020, 9:58 pm

Day 1: $1,000,000 (actually hit 1 million 30min before 24 hours)
Day 2: $267,000 in Sales
Day 3: $151,000 in Sales
Day 4: $102,000 in Sales
Day 5: $65,000 in Sales
Day 6: $52,500 in Sales
Day 7: $39,698 in Sales
Day 8: $43,647 in Sales
Day 9: $38,097 in Sales
Day 10: $34,048 in Sales
Day 11: $26,248 in Sales
Day 12: $24,049 in Sales
Day 13: $21,848 in Sales
Day 14: $20,448 in Sales
Day 15: $15,799 in Sales
Day 16: $19,899 in Sales
Day 17: $134,741 in Sales
Day 18: $25,445 in Sales
Day 19: $19,599 in Sales

Total at 1:30pm $ 2,100,957
Leathaface79

Mummy
Mummy
 
Posts: 93
Joined: February 1st, 2020, 2:52 pm
Location: Ohio, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Leathaface79 » October 11th, 2020, 10:05 pm

NapalmKev wrote:
Leathaface79 wrote:Day 1: $1,000,000 (actually hit 1 million 30min before 24 hours)


1) Hasbro is holding back Sales numbers to make the climb to 3 Million seem slower.
2) The interest in UK was vastly overrated (I think this is unlikely).
3) UK people did buy it through Re-Shippit type websites and are part of the 1 million day 1 sales.
4) The Price for out of market is too high and people are not interested (Although the UK number looks like a steal because it includes shipping).

I was expecting with the add of the three new markets to be well above 2.5 million by now.



I think it's more likely that the Pre-orders from the UK/Australia/New Zealand will be added en masse towards the end of the campaign rather than adding little bits here and there. I could be wrong however.

Very much looking forward to this and as far as modifying the game goes... Well, it would be rude not to mod it and it's not like I haven't done the same for the original.

Cheers


They could, but on Day 17 we jumped from around $20,000 average per day to $134,000. We haven't had that since day 3. So that couldn't have been US numbers. And that was after NZ and AUS has been out for 3 days, UK 1 day. $110,000 jump in sales. If NZ, AUS and UK only did 110K that seems really low, if they did more than that, why would they add the true number? I do think Hasbro is slow walking the numbers, I'd rather seem the real numbers. What if the real numbers has us close to 3 million. We would be talking about the 3.2 - 4.0 million unlocks.
Leathaface79

Mummy
Mummy
 
Posts: 93
Joined: February 1st, 2020, 2:52 pm
Location: Ohio, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Cael Darkhollow » October 11th, 2020, 10:21 pm

the original secret door tiles showed an opening in a wall panel at a 45 degree angle and were not revealed on the board until searched for. They had nothing to do with the regular doors closed or not. The quest packs came with extra doors anyway. Not sure what you guys are talking about.
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
User avatar
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 396
Images: 0
Joined: November 9th, 2017, 12:25 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Cael Darkhollow » October 11th, 2020, 10:46 pm

We made the two million stretch goals that is all I really cared about, the new quest book by the master HQ designer Stephen Baker.

So far all of the actual rerelease stuff (the base game and quest packs) look cool, it is the new additions that are generating complaints because they don't seem to fit the style of the original game. I could always use extra monsters, but I could care less about the new character classes that are poorly designed in my opinion and a bad fit for HeroQuest as we know it, likely due to being designed by people who have never actually played HeroQuest and are unfamiliar with that world or the game mechanics. The cover art for the 4Mill stretch goal questbook looks cool but the synopsis of "an orc empire using magic" and the Orc Bard good guy shut off any excitement I may have had for future products if this is the direction they plan on taking things. I had hoped to support any future retail releases as well with purchases but now I am not so sure. I got the rereleases with a mythic pledge coming, good enough. Never thought that would come to pass. I hope they would eventually rerelease all of the original quest pack expansions, or at least develop new material that is the same style as the old without drastic changes to the game lore we all love.
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
User avatar
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 396
Images: 0
Joined: November 9th, 2017, 12:25 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Kurgan » October 11th, 2020, 10:50 pm

Cael Darkhollow wrote:the original secret door tiles showed an opening in a wall panel at a 45 degree angle and were not revealed on the board until searched for. They had nothing to do with the regular doors closed or not. The quest packs came with extra doors anyway. Not sure what you guys are talking about.


Don't worry, it was fairly technical so I can't blame you if you were confused. When I played all this time, I was taking the "secret door" tile off of the board and replacing it with the Open Door (furniture) piece as I setup the room. Goblin King pointed out that this isn't actually how it works. You never need to put a door there, just the tile. Hence, you won't "run out" of open doors on the board so quickly if you don't have to use open doors on the revealed secret rooms.

It's true that this Remake HeroQuest's versions of Kellar's Keep and Return of the WitchLord "come with extra doors." Each one comes with TWO extra "closed" doors (the "Reinforced Door" akin to the old Wooden Door and the "Iron Door"). This won't help if one runs out of "open doors" but you can always just use those as stand ins for an open door if you want.

For reference original KK & ROTWL didn't actually come with any new doors, only TILES that you could insert into the old door frames to give them a little more flair and variety.

Anyway, he was right and I was wrong, there are no "official" quests that we know of that actually try to get you to use more Open Doors that would be available with the game system. My original comment was about a quest called "The Maze" which was the original "first quest" in the EU version of Heroquest (which was never present in the NA version I grew up with in the USA). In the later version of the EU HeroQuest and the NA version, we instead got "The Trial." The Maze used the maximum number of regular doors PLUS a handful of secret doors. Playing the (incorrect) way I did, you would use more doors than were available. But if you just use the secret door tiles for secret doors (as the instructions clearly state) then you won't run into this issue.

Since we have no indication that "The Maze" will even be included with this Remake set, it's completely moot at this point.

This new "Mythic Tier" (GS+Expansions) version of this remake comes with the same exact number of doors that the original Game System did, and the only difference is that there are technically more "closed doors" since the new doors are actually solid pieces of plastic, rather than cardboard tiles inserted into interchangeable plastic bases like they were before.


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7116
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Cael Darkhollow » October 11th, 2020, 11:31 pm

for the special doors such as the Iron door from the KK expansion, I always just turned it sideways perpendicular to the wall to indicate the players had opened it, I never replaced that one with an open door either. I suppose I will do the same with the new single piece closed plastic doors, if I run out of open ones.

Too bad the actual hinged doors that open and close or the working treasure chests designs from Darkworld couldn't have been implemented in this rerelease.
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
User avatar
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 396
Images: 0
Joined: November 9th, 2017, 12:25 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Stairwell » October 12th, 2020, 4:55 am

Leathaface79 wrote:
They could, but on Day 17 we jumped from around $20,000 average per day to $134,000. We haven't had that since day 3. So that couldn't have been US numbers. And that was after NZ and AUS has been out for 3 days, UK 1 day. $110,000 jump in sales. If NZ, AUS and UK only did 110K that seems really low, if they did more than that, why would they add the true number? I do think Hasbro is slow walking the numbers, I'd rather seem the real numbers. What if the real numbers has us close to 3 million. We would be talking about the 3.2 - 4.0 million unlocks.


Australian here, have seen ZERO advertising for Heroquest at EB Games, none of their emails seem to have referenced it, the only way I found out it was available was from here/the Reddit group making a reference to it.

Also I suspect a bunch of "US" customers, who were really AU/UK people with a shipping intermediary cancelled on haslab to buy locally that would have put a ding in the growth. That's what I would have done if I had purchased before it became locally available, don't have to pay shipping now.

May not get much interest even if they did bother to advertise it due to the cost, but quite a lot of people that have seen my smashed up boxes on my cupboard get that look of oh man I wish they still made this!

Regarding secret doors, once found I throw a secret door tile down and just don't put contents out until they enter through the tile, then just leave the tile down as the "doorway"

I did used to put pits down on the board as soon as they were in line of sight, but in recent years realised they are probably meant to stay hidden until someone fell into one lol.
Stairwell

Orc
Orc
 
Posts: 49
Joined: March 20th, 2014, 9:03 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests