• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Cael Darkhollow » October 10th, 2020, 8:50 pm

When many (or even most) here and on social media are talking about subbing other minis for the Hasbro unlock goal figures or using greenstuff to sculpt change them, that is a sure sign that the original design isn't great and needs a redesign.
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
User avatar
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 396
Images: 0
Joined: November 9th, 2017, 12:25 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Kurgan » October 10th, 2020, 10:50 pm

I haven't been talking on social media about Remake HQ, so that is certainly interesting to hear. So they're expressing similar thoughts? Again, interesting. I mean the online HQ community wasn't that huge before all this kickstarter business became public, but it would make sense. We're not crazy here... and that's not a slam against the artists, these minis LOOK COOL just some of them don't seem to "fit" well with the overall aesthetic.

I missed the whole 25th/30th anniversary kickstarter that went nowhere, it would have been interesting to see the discussions about that when it was still in development.

Bottom line is when this comes out next Fall, WE WILL mod it. It WILL be modded, but the question is, can it be better than it is now, officially? I would say, yes. And it's not coming from a crazy, rigid fanboy stance that can just be dismissed as "hate."

I like the female mummy! (Tom Cruise, THAT is a female mummy) But it's a long way to fundraising that figure... but see, I don't hate everything!

I never got into WizKids (I thought Reaper was closer in style to what I was going for to fill out my HeroQuest armies) but they do have some cool looking minis... more WizKids Deep Cuts examples, this time for female Druids (again, not an advertiser, merely an illustration). HeroQuest had a fairly unique style for its time (you could say "early Warhammer fantasy" I guess), but the new stuff is fairly generic. But if we're going that route, there are cooler options.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7115
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Daedalus » October 11th, 2020, 7:24 am

Orc26 wrote:So... the warlock all by herself is almost 100% better at dealing damage than the wizard, right out of the box.
Wizard has 3 damage dealing spells, that deal at max 1, 2, and 5 damage. Then no more ranged.
Warlock has a 2 damage all the time attack and can make that 3 with a rechargeable spell.

I don't like it. Either buff the wizard or nerf the warlock.

She literally has a -1 die crossbow for free "at creation". HOW IS THAT BALANCED?

I agree with everything said, but I'd swap in and for "or."

  1. Warlock nerf:

    The Warlock starting weapon is a drained Wand. It has just 1 Attack Die. Considering this is a ranged attack, this is more in line with the other Heroes' starting attack strengths.

    Wand
    Cost: 125 gold coins
    This wand gives you the attack strength of 2 Combat Dice against any monster you can “see.” If you roll 2 or more black shields while attacking, it drains and thereafter gives you 1 Combat Die. May only be used by the Warlock..

    Now there is a reason for buying the Wand, just as with other weapons. I estimate it will likely drain every few Quests.

  2. Wizard buff:
    Read through this topic and take your pick.
..
UNCLE ZARGON
Image
WANTS.. YOU


Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 5332
Images: 14
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 2:31 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Goblin-King » October 11th, 2020, 8:27 am

Kurgan wrote:I missed the whole 25th/30th anniversary kickstarter that went nowhere, it would have been interesting to see the discussions about that when it was still in development.

You didn't miss anything - not here at the Inn anyways.
It was pretty much universally hated, since it was super shady from the very beginning.

Daedalus wrote:The Warlock starting weapon is a drained Wand. It has just 1 Attack Die. Considering this is a ranged attack, this is more in line with the other Heroes' starting attack strengths.

Wand
Cost: 125 gold coins
This wand gives you the attack strength of 2 Combat Dice against any monster you can “see.” If you roll 2 or more black shields while attacking, it drains and thereafter gives you 1 Combat Die. May only be used by the Warlock..

Now there is a reason for buying the Wand, just as with other weapons. I estimate it will likely drain every few Quests.

Make her start with a drained 1 :skull: wand, and then simply allow her to buy the wand. Done.
That way she gets to level up a bit, but there's no reason to create a money sink.

------------------

I actually feel like I could get used to the druid.
I mean... She's definitely not great, but you know... If she's mechanically interesting I guess I wouldn't mind playing her.
Image

This fraggler on the other hand...
Seeing his artwork in better resolution makes me hate him even more. It really makes me want to empty my quiver into his eyesockets.
Everything about this "hero" rubs me the wrong way. But most of all... his flat teeth...
Image

Some company hands me a miniature from the latest Kickstarter.
What you want me to do with this? Paint it?
Image

And then there's this!
Jesus, that looks awesome! How the heck were they suddenly able to create such a great looking character!
She looks badass, she is not overdesigned, but still has a strong look. Make this artist redesign the other unlock characters!
Or even better, burn the bard and give us a mini of the Spirit Queen instead.
Image


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Goblin-King » October 11th, 2020, 8:31 am

Actually, I wonder if there's a connection between the Spirit Queen and Kessandria, The Witch Queen.
It would actually be pretty cool if they rebranded Kessandria as the Spirit Queen.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Pancho » October 11th, 2020, 9:18 am

Goblin-King wrote:Actually, I wonder if there's a connection between the Spirit Queen and Kessandria, The Witch Queen.
It would actually be pretty cool if they rebranded Kessandria as the Spirit Queen.

It could just as easily be a reimagined Sinestra in that artwork, she’s very generic fantasy looking. Look at the elf ears.
It’s ok I suppose, but if I’m going to be brutally honest the handsome-ish orc ghost heads with the lovely hair are pretty much in keeping with the nonsense we’ve had from this company lately. I’m calling it now, in that pack the Heroes will be working alongside the orcs, who are just misunderstood and suffering under some sort of evil curse.


Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
User avatar
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1277
Joined: April 12th, 2017, 10:43 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Leathaface79 » October 11th, 2020, 9:29 am

Day 1: $1,000,000 (actually hit 1 million 30min before 24 hours)
Day 2: $267,000 in Sales
Day 3: $151,000 in Sales
Day 4: $102,000 in Sales
Day 5: $65,000 in Sales
Day 6: $52,500 in Sales
Day 7: $39,698 in Sales
Day 8: $43,647 in Sales
Day 9: $38,097 in Sales
Day 10: $34,048 in Sales
Day 11: $26,248 in Sales
Day 12: $24,049 in Sales
Day 13: $21,848 in Sales
Day 14: $20,448 in Sales
Day 15: $15,799 in Sales
Day 16: $19,899 in Sales
Day 17: $134,741 in Sales
Day 18: $25,445 in Sales

Total at 1:30pm $2,081,358

I remember when we hit 1 million the first day. Everyone said that if the UK was available we would have hit 2 million day one. We have UK, NZ and AUS available and there hasn't even been a bump in $300,000. It's got to be one of these reasons:

1) Hasbro is holding back Sales numbers to make the climb to 3 Million seem slower.
2) The interest in UK was vastly overrated (I think this is unlikely).
3) UK people did buy it through Re-Shippit type websites and are part of the 1 million day 1 sales.
4) The Price for out of market is too high and people are not interested (Although the UK number looks like a steal because it includes shipping).

I was expecting with the add of the three new markets to be well above 2.5 million by now.
Leathaface79

Mummy
Mummy
 
Posts: 93
Joined: February 1st, 2020, 2:52 pm
Location: Ohio, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby NapalmKev » October 11th, 2020, 10:20 am

Leathaface79 wrote:Day 1: $1,000,000 (actually hit 1 million 30min before 24 hours)


1) Hasbro is holding back Sales numbers to make the climb to 3 Million seem slower.
2) The interest in UK was vastly overrated (I think this is unlikely).
3) UK people did buy it through Re-Shippit type websites and are part of the 1 million day 1 sales.
4) The Price for out of market is too high and people are not interested (Although the UK number looks like a steal because it includes shipping).

I was expecting with the add of the three new markets to be well above 2.5 million by now.



I think it's more likely that the Pre-orders from the UK/Australia/New Zealand will be added en masse towards the end of the campaign rather than adding little bits here and there. I could be wrong however.

Very much looking forward to this and as far as modifying the game goes... Well, it would be rude not to mod it and it's not like I haven't done the same for the original.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"
User avatar
NapalmKev
 
Posts: 5
Joined: May 6th, 2017, 5:05 am
Location: Devon
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Kurgan » October 11th, 2020, 11:57 am

Goblin-King wrote:Actually, I wonder if there's a connection between the Spirit Queen and Kessandria, The Witch Queen.
It would actually be pretty cool if they rebranded Kessandria as the Spirit Queen.



Naw, Kessandria has a skull for a face (in my head-canon), like the Witch Lord and Skullmar. What about Sinestra the evil wannabe-Elf Queen? This one is a clearly a vampiress.

The high quality artwork of the Bard does look very Shrekian, sorry to say. The idea of an Orc Bard (or a Bard in general unless he came from "the Hobbit") as a comic character appeals to me a little bit, but not too hot on the artwork. I would much rather get the Orc Merchant with his mustache and monocle (he hires mooks to do his fighting for him, beat him at his own game and he'll sell you loot at unbeatable prices).


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7115
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Kurgan » October 11th, 2020, 12:06 pm

Odd that the new Druid pic shows the OLD sculpt of the model but the NEW card art... are they still deciding? The new sculpt is the image that appears on the Goals page (with the old card art). The new sculpt is more detailed, with the flowers/leaf details on the clothing and the cat's paw glove.

The Bard seems to have a Rapier. Some of the fan mods for Rapiers are quite cool. What's special about this sword (if anything)? Does it attack twice? Diagonal attack? Chance to combine with dagger to strike after an enemy wiff? Or just a Clone of the shortsword that only he can use?

And I see a guitar (or since this is fantasy-land, maybe a mandolin?) behind him. Is there an "El Kabong" card? Or can he just use it as a backup weapon anytime? (and buy a new one after the aforementioned Kabong... also beware the Kabonging frenzy!).


Pancho wrote:
Goblin-King wrote:Actually, I wonder if there's a connection between the Spirit Queen and Kessandria, The Witch Queen.
It would actually be pretty cool if they rebranded Kessandria as the Spirit Queen.

It could just as easily be a reimagined Sinestra in that artwork, she’s very generic fantasy looking. Look at the elf ears.
It’s ok I suppose, but if I’m going to be brutally honest the handsome-ish orc ghost heads with the lovely hair are pretty much in keeping with the nonsense we’ve had from this company lately. I’m calling it now, in that pack the Heroes will be working alongside the orcs, who are just misunderstood and suffering under some sort of evil curse.


Yes, that IS what we're getting if the designer comments are any indication...

Which was already hinted at by the fact that they were using Warcraft style Orc artwork. That's the case in that universe. I have no problem with the idea that the Orcs were good guys once (even in Tolkien's world that was the case, when they were elves that is... or maybe they were goblins who just went from a little evil inclined to uber evil because of a Dark Lord's influence). But that the majority of the Orcs worship Chaos ("Dread"?) and are willful servants of Zargon now should be the core foundation in this one.

But that doesn't mean that every rank and file Orc is going to be a slave that if you toss holy water on, will be a hero for justice... probably just one faction or tribe. Maybe over time those under Zargon's control will start to rebel against him, and his end will be in site (in a few centuries or so)... but remember, greed is a powerful thing. There will be always men (and monsters of all kinds) who will succumb to the lure of power and filthy lucre, and thus Chaos will always have potential converts.

Monster mercs is something I can appreciate, and the changing factions (as in EQP) is cool, but it doesn't have to be the norm, more like an occasional gimmick. This Bard doesn't seem like a dominant character who is going to be leading quests and the key to victory, more like a comic side character after you're bored with everything else, so I don't imagine he's going to take over. When the Ogres are beaten, in my storylines, they become hired guns, some of them for the bad guys and some you can acquire (but watch out, if they don't get enough meat, they can go rogue).

But then we really need to see a quest book that takes into account the plight of the misunderstood Undead. Those skeletons... always cold and naked, they need to have their day too!

"NO METAL ARMOR" for the Druid, huh? So what does that leave... just the Cloak of Protection, unless she gets to buy a coat of wooden (Samurai?) armor, or maybe thick tree bark...

That reminds me, I really WANT to see their list of Equipment cards... will it be a combination of NA & EU? We already know the Wand will be a special item that only the Warlock can purchase (which is silly, just make it one only she can USE, or if it's used by another Hero, it becomes an ordinary club or something, rather than a ranged weapon... easy fix).

Since they are using EQUIPMENT CARDS instead of an Armory table, of course, whenever they churn out a new Hero character, all they have to do is pack those special Equipment Cards with that character (people who get the "heroic" set won't see them at all, only the "mythic" buyers, unless these become available separately after release, which I would assume would happen... if they're smart).

But then what about the "ALCHEMIST SHOPS" that would be part of KK & ROTWL ? Are those going to be cards too (Equipment?) or a table? Remember, the potions in those quest packs were identical and didn't change from EU to NA. Potion decks were a fan-mod (one I quite enjoyed, by the way).

I would like clarifications on these mechanics. As cool as the new content is (and it obviously needs to be playtested... are they waiting for US to play test it for them?), I want to know what's in the Core (Game System) set as well. We don't need to see the Brood-Sword(tm), we need to see the Bracers, Cloak, Dagger, Longsword, and how the Potions are handled.
Last edited by Kurgan on October 11th, 2020, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7115
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests