• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby cynthialee » November 6th, 2021, 10:14 am

Tonight is D&D night....but as I am DM....we will be playing a game of HeroQuest with my new set. :D

I will tie the stories together. If the HQ heroes are successful then the normal game characters will receive the item the HQ guys fought to get.

I will send them to Melars Maze to recover a set of rings that have been hidden there. These rings provide the wearers with the visage of death. Thus they will not be targeted by the undead when worn. A major bonus for my main crew who are headed into an ancient Necropolis soon.

:)

I am DM I can do what I want. :D
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1848
Images: 4
Joined: September 27th, 2011, 10:56 am
Location: the forests of Washington State
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Shadzar » November 6th, 2021, 10:45 am

Shadzar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 212
Joined: November 15th, 2020, 10:08 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Blayze » November 6th, 2021, 11:31 am



Lines up with the dates on the other sites I've seen from across the EU--August for Frozen Horror, January for everything else.
Blayze

Mummy
Mummy
 
Posts: 95
Joined: October 13th, 2020, 5:21 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Kurgan » November 6th, 2021, 12:40 pm

cynthialee wrote:Tonight is D&D night....but as I am DM....we will be playing a game of HeroQuest with my new set. :D

I will tie the stories together. If the HQ heroes are successful then the normal game characters will receive the item the HQ guys fought to get.

I will send them to Melars Maze to recover a set of rings that have been hidden there. These rings provide the wearers with the visage of death. Thus they will not be targeted by the undead when worn. A major bonus for my main crew who are headed into an ancient Necropolis soon.

:)

I am DM I can do what I want. :D


I was just talking in my stream the other day about people who "like both" (D&D as well as HQ). Good luck!

Also I'd love to hear how the "playtest" of the Stephen Baker quest goes, and I'm sure others would too. |_P

Also, any thoughts on the mystery tiles ?


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7112
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Kurgan » November 6th, 2021, 12:55 pm

Cael Darkhollow wrote:
Odanan wrote:
Cael Darkhollow wrote:Hey look at that I remembered how to post a photo, it's only been almost a year since I posted any HQ pics.
the middle figure is the Dwarf Slayer (old GW metal figure) I use for the White Dwarf article hero player character.

I didn't know there was another Dward [semi]official hero. What are his stats and abilities? (and where can I find the image and more info about him?)


The HeroQuest adventure "Halls of Durrag-Dol" was published in White Dwarf Magazine #134 by Games Workshop in Feb. 1991. It is an official HeroQuest quest.
It introduces a Dwarf Slayer named KILI THEKKRSSON that is a playable character. Look up Dwarf Slayer in the Warhammer world to find out about this strange subculture of dwarfs who have somehow lost their honor and wish to die but suicide is even more dishonorable so they seek death by fighting the biggest baddest monsters they can find constantly battling until they succeed by earning their death by combat. There are Troll Slayers, Giant Slayers, Dragon Slayers, Demon Slayers, etc. (levels based on what hasn't managed to kill them yet.) They forsake armor and shields and fight two handed with axes or axe-flails, and stiffen and dye their hair orange to mark their slayer status. To a dwarf honor is everything; without honor there is no reason to live.
you can see the forum discussion on this quest here:
viewforum.php?f=20

and the scans of the magazine itself (PDF format) here including the quest map and Kili's stats (but the HQ game stats for the UK version of HeroQuest are slightly different than the NA version so would need to be converted or toughened up a little):
http://www.yeoldeinn.com/downloads/publ ... ag-dol.pdf


I haven't played this one yet. What did you think of Phoenix's attempt to convert it to NA rules? (the info about the Dwarf Slayer is missing, so your link is still helpful too!)


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7112
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Shadzar » November 6th, 2021, 7:43 pm

Kurgan wrote:I was just talking in my stream the other day about people who "like both" (D&D as well as HQ). Good luck!

I have crossed paths with those people that know the difference between games on Twitch often enough.

They can't Figure out that D&D is one game, HeroQuest is another game, and there are even other board games.

When playing HQ, yo are paying HQ, not D&D, you can use HQ pieces to play D&D, and I think that was the point of this HQ remake to see if HASBRO can make minis people would accept instead of having GaleForce Nine or WizKids continue to make them.

You can use any HQ piece to play D&D, any D&D mini, or pther board game mini or any mini for custom stuff, but Twitch has specific places for things.

https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Dungeons%20%26%20Dragons
https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/HeroQuest
https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Board%20Games

and rules for people that wish ti "do what I want"

https://www.twitch.tv/p/en/legal/community-guidelines/
Spam, Scams, and Other Malicious Conduct
Any content or activity that disrupts, interrupts, harms, or otherwise violates the integrity of Twitch services or another user’s experience or devices is prohibited. Such activity includes:
  • Misinformation (such as feigning distress, posting misleading metadata, or intentional channel miscategorization)


This is part of the reason I don't mind new quest being made after the initial quests are re-released and the missing dwarf/elf quest comes out. remake the game before trying to do other weird things with it. I think i even called a group of these people out in my PulseCon 2021 video, as Olga clearly said, "it's a board game", meaning not a RPG, even though trolls like Arkenforge Virtual Tabletop keep trying to call HeroQuest an RPG.

I think a few other videos after the game began to release that never did updates this past year even said it is meant to be a board game, because if it was changed in this remake, then why call it HeroQuest? If people wanted something else that was a new and modern game, they could just go buy Gloomhaven or Descent, etc.

At this point, Pulse Account still saying Unfulfilled, I am glad they didn't change much in the base game so people can do what they want with the game system.

I jsut wish NAtive English speaking people would learn to speak English and stop this calling every damn thing D&D bull- :o and learn how to respect people they talk to an and things they talk about. If they can complain about "wrong pronouns", then they need to learn the right NOUNS.

If someone were to invite me to play HeroQuest and they pull out D&D or Battle Master or Blood Bawl (new version of Blood Bowl GW is bringing out), then it aint going to be a pretty sight. If words have meaning, then learn what they mean so you can communicate properly for crying out loud!

I am not sure which Zargon joke I actually liked better between 2 that was made, the one mocking RPG players talking about a d20 has too many sides, or the one mocking "combat wheelchairs" in dungeons saying something about how all "dungeons need stairs". :lol:

Now I want a deep dive into how the orc is described in the new game compared to the old game. :orc:
Shadzar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 212
Joined: November 15th, 2020, 10:08 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Shadzar » November 6th, 2021, 7:52 pm

Cael Darkhollow wrote:my second set of mythic tier HeroQuest arrived yesterday (Western U.S.) so my order of two is complete.

now ehre are the questions, were they both on the same order? did all your orders ever change from "Unfulfilled" on Pulse?

Did you get emails for either? from whom?

Some people have seen no sign of a first, and this appears to be the only case of anyone getting more than one, and Reddit is showing people having "double charge" on their orders, as in the total is twice what it should have been, but they weren't charged twice. So are they screwing up the orders and sending some people 2 while others that ordered will get zero?

https://old.reddit.com/r/Heroquest/comments/qnmre7/mythic_tier_double_charge/?sort=new

Got my mailing confirmation for mythic tier. Shows it will be here tomorrow which is great but in the billing section it shows two charges for 194. I only bought one. I think i would have noticed two charges.
I also noticed a double charge on the site but don’t see that on my credit card. Delivered the 1 box I purchased today and it still says there’s another shipment pending but I’m pretty sure that was a mistake as I only ordered 1.

Shadzar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 212
Joined: November 15th, 2020, 10:08 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Kurgan » November 6th, 2021, 8:07 pm

It may be a shame that some talk as if D&D is synonymous with fantasy gaming, but it is what it is, just like some will think of (fill in name of pop culture meme of a genre) when they think of something.

It's a tricky thing when certain brands are more popular or talked about more even by people in the industry. It's the reason why the new Dune movie was so tricky to make seem fresh and interesting (and true to the book) without inviting critics to compare it to "Star Wars" (Dune came out a decade earlier even if it came to the screen later, nerds!). But let's face it, D&D came out nine years before Warhammer fantasy which was out six years before HeroQuest (and Tolkien beat them all by decades). But HeroQuest is its own thing. Like we talked about on covertnerd, some may have intended it to be a stepping stone, training wheels or "gateway drug" into something else, it doesn't have to be, it can be an end in itself, and that's fine.

The RPG thing took on more of a life in the Japanese version (it was even marketed as one, apparently, but a little bit of leveling up and a few more differences between the characters is all that was given there).

Warhammer Quest combined both in an interesting way (you could play it more like a straight up dungeon crawler board game or more of an RPG), but it didn't sit on store shelves long enough for anyone but the collectors and collectors to notice and give it a chance, apparently.

The best thing for the HQ world right now would be to release it to retail as soon as possible, and let the people make it what they will. If it becomes popular, you'll get all kinds of hangers on but then the fad will die out again and you'll be left with the hardcore fans once again. I'm willing to risk letting new blood in to enjoy the game, because the whole point of HQ is to step outside of that exclusive realm of people who can afford to spend all their cash on books and miniatures to "keep up."

There's a lot of people who probably only care about the miniatures. Anytime something comes out it's "what minis are there" so they can be used in some other game. I can see the point they make. Always on the lookout for another mini! I am looking at the total package, but certain parts of the package interest me more than others, namely the new material.

I've now seen several quality views of all the minis for this remake. I've seen pics of the minis next to the classic minis, which is what we all wanted to see, and I'm grateful. But, whether I choose to abide by them or not (GM's privilege at your own table) I'm curious about THE GAME behind them. The paper with the words on it, that's what I want to see now. A few pages were readable in Cosmic Tavern's video. deadgamer's video showed the text in the quest book (awesome). Now it's those remaining mystery pages I want to see.

As an NA player I can only imagine the disappointment of those wishing for the GWS liscense since the version I grew up with wasn't as steeped in that lore. The rule changes will be a shock to those who haven't hung around this community and adapted the rules to the hybrid versions most of us use rather than what was printed on the original paper.

My time is still ahead... probably won't do my video until Wednesday and there may not be much left to be said that wasn't said before, but I'm feeling confident enough to open it. Again, ya'll have a few more days to change my mind!

I'm suspecting there may be a difference in appeal among the three quest books. I'm expecting a lot from Baker's book, just because of his reputation. I talked in my last stream also about his being constrained by the demands of the new game and how he's not portrayed as the project leader more of a guest writer this time, and so it's the collaboration that matters. They had quite a perfect storm of quality the first time, but we also view the past through rose colored glasses. If it's as fun as we remember, they'll have succeeded.

Then the work will begin, as always to modify. We haven't lost our ability to create new quests and with the components being more or less the same that will continue with new generations being added. But what would an EU edition of the mythic material look like? Will there be enough interest for that? Or how about a Japanese version of it? Or will I crack open those books myself and think "why bother"?

As far as my bill:
Shipping (Standard) $30.00
Tax (IA COUNTY TAX 1.0%) $1.50
Tax (IA STATE TAX 6.0%) $9.00

(your state may vary). Gotta pay the piper (or the bard, as the case may be)...

Shadzar, I hope that comment wasn't directed at me... I did some videos on Battlemasters, but there's no special category for it (that I could see) on Twitch. Since I talk about Heroquest and come at it from the perspective of knowing that game I don't think I'm confusing anyone. I plan to do a little crossover on occasion by using that game to represent some of the battles between packs (ex: leading the attack against the remnants of the Ogre Horde; facing down Zargon's forces before and after Kellar's Keep, etc). Some people don't like the game as much because it doesn't have the creative community that encourages modification and seems to be more based on luck than skill (although opinions vary over which side has the odds in their favor most of the time). It also doesn't have the nostalgia factor for me that HeroQuest does. All Battlemasters was to me as a kid was a commercial... which was shorter and not as interesting as the one that made me want HeroQuest.
Last edited by Kurgan on November 6th, 2021, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7112
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Shadzar » November 6th, 2021, 8:27 pm

I have said it before and will continue to say it, the "lore" was meaningless as its a board game that came with only 10 quests or so an the rest was peopel to make their own. This is why i never got the original expansions because it was just more of the same minis, didn't realize Frozen Horror and others would add minis at the time.. oh well.

Anyone can make a quest as the game is NOT D&D and the Heroes can lose all their belongings at any time and happens often.

Its just a dungeon crawler that allows you minor continuity, and that is what allowed it to stand above others.

For those that want a one and done play of a game with high diminishing returns, there is Gloomhaven or Dungeons & Dragons: The Adventure Begins.

shipping isnt what people were charged extra for, but the whole $190-ish when the ordered only 1. the total was doubled, they only ordered on copy. some have gotten that copy and are wondering should they expect another? do that mean they have screwed up the orders and shipping to the wrong people? or is Avalon Hill and HASBRO just still screwed up unable to communicate because many people are seeing "In Progress" in the Hasbro App, but "Unfulfilled" on the Pulse account, and varying degrees of if they got emails from HASBRO or FedEx.

Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, or HASBRO doesn't' know its ass from a hole in the ground at this point.
Shadzar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 212
Joined: November 15th, 2020, 10:08 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Kurgan » November 6th, 2021, 8:32 pm

Yeah but at the same time the lore is there, isn't it? A couple lines of story got deleted from the transition from EU to NA back in the day and I was intrigued. To me though that's Zargon, not Mentor, and I don't think Ragnar was the traitor (others disagree!).

I agree that if they changed the lore to something stupid, I can easily ignore it when I'm playing my quests, but as others have criticized me for... I also agree that I want it to be as good as it can be, not changed just for the sake of change, to make it sillier, even if I am able to easily change it back at my own table and remind people how cool the old version was before it was "broken" (again, the few changes we've seen so far haven't convinced me they've gone off the deep end, just a few understandable tweaks to avoid IP infringement). We also had a lively debate some time ago over the whole Warhammer fantasy thing. I've never felt obligated to get involved in the whole Warhammer fantasy realm, most of which has no relevance to the actual quests in HeroQuest. But for those who invested into it, and remember it more fondly from the EU versions, I feel for them, I really do. I even checked out one of the Warhammer world guides just to see what I was "missing" (and used it to get some ideas for my own "HeroQuest world"). Useless for actual campaigns? Absolutely, but a fun exercise nonetheless. I thought Magic the Gather had cool artwork in the 90's but never played it, so a true fan of that game can think I'm a jerk or whatever, I don't care.

Back in the day we wanted more monsters and so KK & ROTWL were perfect. No more running out of Orcs or skeletons in a quest! I didn't care so much that they weren't new designs, as that there were more of them. I guess we were having so much fun with those we didn't think we'd need the new expansions and I forgot about them for years until I got nostalgic and got online to see that now they were going for a king's ransom. If we'd had them I think we would have gotten frustrated at the difficulty (me being a sore loser back then I'm sure I would have), maybe we would have broken free and just used them as props to inspire our own adventures, but by 1992 I was more interested in video games than board games, to be honest. At university I saw the guys who shelled out and went ga-ga over 40K and thought it was a big money trap and avoided it.

I've played Gloomhaven and while it's cool (I like the idea of unlocking new characters and the big book of adventures), but I'm satisfied devoting the energy to one sort of game like that on a long term basis. Others may disagree. I know of some other hardcore RPG players who like to "relax" and play HQ. So they don't want to make the game more complex or whatever, they want something "simple" to relax and have a beer over or play with the kids. Each to their own. If it's game night and everyone else wants to play something, instead of just going off by myself to play tetris, I'll probably give it a go, just like back in the day I'd play whatever goofy card game everyone was interested in, just to be social.

deadgamer's comment was that he thinks it's wise not to mess too much with the core, and don't go crazy at the start, re-release the OG material THEN make your goofy expansions. So you satisfy the core fans (most of them anyway) and then try to expand from there. That's how you handle a well beloved franchise. The wrong way is to drastically change it (forgetting why it was beloved in the first place), dupe your audience, and then blame them when the product fails. Many a nostalgic franchise has taken that path, thank goodness (from what I've seen) that's not the case here. But if they fail to bring it to retail stores, all that effort will be for naught. The product will fade away from the public mind and just be something we aging veteran geeks complain about and try to collect on ebay, and kids will still think D&D is the only fantasy game, just like COD is the only FPS and Star Wars is the only scifi.

I'm glad I only ordered one copy, to be honest.
Last edited by Kurgan on November 6th, 2021, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7112
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests