• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Cael Darkhollow » November 5th, 2021, 1:05 am

I decided to crack into Kellar's Keep first. The Alchemist's shop is on the first page, then the scroll front of the quest book is page two. No card outer cover like the original. Alarming news my friends, the KING is trapped in KABA KARN
WORLD'S END MOUNTAINS
that is as far as I got before I had to comment on KABA KARN
Sounds like saying Karak Varn with the sniffles
Last edited by Cael Darkhollow on November 5th, 2021, 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
User avatar
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 396
Images: 0
Joined: November 9th, 2017, 12:25 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Cael Darkhollow » November 5th, 2021, 1:21 am

all the pages are glossy and thin like a magazine page rather than the paper feel of the old questbooks
There is a white cardboard filler in the main game box that can be removed to make room for the mythic tier box and plastic tray so all can fit in the main box with just a width of the folded game board lift (1 cm perhaps) very livable, except the Keller's Keep and Witchlord quest pack boxes of course.
Last edited by Cael Darkhollow on November 5th, 2021, 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
User avatar
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 396
Images: 0
Joined: November 9th, 2017, 12:25 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Kurgan » November 5th, 2021, 1:26 am

Cael Darkhollow wrote:all the pages are glossy and thin like a magazine page rather than the paper feel of the old questbooks



World's END mountains! You've gotta pay a visit to the Unboxing thread... we've got questions that need answers! Juicey details please! |_P

Mine arrives Tuesday.


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7112
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Cael Darkhollow » November 5th, 2021, 1:28 am

Kurgan wrote:
Cael Darkhollow wrote:all the pages are glossy and thin like a magazine page rather than the paper feel of the old questbooks

Mine arrives Tuesday.

You hope! I'm still waiting for the other half of my order that was listed as delivery today



detailed questions require detailed comparisons and examinations which I haven't had time to do yet. Looks like most of the names in the main game quest book survived.
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
User avatar
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 396
Images: 0
Joined: November 9th, 2017, 12:25 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Cael Darkhollow » November 5th, 2021, 1:36 am

the questbooks are loop stitched with white thread on the thin spine about every cm or so, my end is poking out so will need to trim it off.
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
User avatar
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 396
Images: 0
Joined: November 9th, 2017, 12:25 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Cael Darkhollow » November 5th, 2021, 2:12 am

Hey look at that I remembered how to post a photo, it's only been almost a year since I posted any HQ pics.

Quick size comparison with the original heroes:
Image
Image
the middle figure is the Dwarf Slayer (old GW metal figure) I use for the White Dwarf article hero player character.
I painted those decades ago.

The new ones are much taller by a head length or even two, broader, and have wider bases. ( and more modern gamer elaborate but generic sculpts lacking the magic and charm of the old ones...)
Last edited by Cael Darkhollow on November 5th, 2021, 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
User avatar
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 396
Images: 0
Joined: November 9th, 2017, 12:25 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Cael Darkhollow » November 5th, 2021, 2:39 am

some more quick size comparisons:

Image
Image
boxes and questbooks are the same size. The original cards, tiles and figures are much smaller than the new ones, doors are similar size. I put the old tiles and cards on top of the new ones for comparison. new dragon has same base size as new goblin or any other new figure.

OK well after midnight and I have to go to work tomorrow. But I was too excited not to open the box and have a looksy. I want to compare everything and finally read those new quests! but not tonight I'm off to bed.
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
User avatar
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 396
Images: 0
Joined: November 9th, 2017, 12:25 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Pancho » November 5th, 2021, 3:45 am

Shadzar wrote:I love how Made In China and other info is printed directly on Joe's "tavern" tile and not the giant empty space on the left with all the other smaller tiles... schmucks! :evil:

I’m not surprised by this ineptitude to be honest, given the other stuff we’ve seen so far.


Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
User avatar
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1277
Joined: April 12th, 2017, 10:43 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Stairwell » November 5th, 2021, 7:27 am

Haven't been keeping up much with the news on this, but it looks like people are starting to receive theirs. Mines through EB Games in Australia, so I don't think I'm going to know when to expect it until I get an SMS saying come and get it.

I still have my original like everyone else here lol, but the cardboard furniture is all pretty worn out, and most of my models are already painted. So will be cool to bust out this new set and give it the true heroquest treatment by getting my kids to paint the miniatures with too thick a layer and blood streaks on the weapons, a multicoloured skeleton here and there... Wonder how susceptible the barbarian sword and gargoyle wings are to breaking... Dunno if they will feel right without a glob of glue holding them on.. possibly after first having a hole eaten through them from using an inappropriate glue first.
Stairwell

Orc
Orc
 
Posts: 49
Joined: March 20th, 2014, 9:03 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Kurgan » November 5th, 2021, 12:20 pm

Cael Darkhollow wrote:the questbooks are loop stitched with white thread on the thin spine about every cm or so, my end is poking out so will need to trim it off.


Stitched instead of stapled? Sounds like John Hammond spared no expense!

Creation is, after all, an act of sheer will.


I love the comparison pics. Honestly, when you take away the big base (that makes the Barbarian way taller, he's standing on top of rocks after all), the new figures only look slightly larger than the classics, enough to fit within the realm of possibility for size (Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant) as opposed to looking like they belong in an entirely different game. It's not much more extreme than the comparison between Battle Masters and Hero Quest, yes you can tell there's a size differential, but not like way scaled up, blown out kind of thing going on. So some Orcs are a little taller. The Dwarf does look a lot more "bloated" shall we say in his remake form. The giant weapons are more of a sore thumb than the body scales, to my eye.

The new tiles would present a crowding problem on an old board, as would certain pieces of furniture. I have a similar issue with some of the Reaper figures I use that have "dynamic poses" or long parts sticking out. But if you buy the big board (or print your own with bigger squares) the problem disappears and classic figures, tiles and remake figures and tiles can coexist with no issues. I proved that to myself earlier this year when I had a classic board printed with 1 inch squares (and it was quad fold as well to test how I liked that).

The cards are more of a question for me. To me they look like poker size. I would like to see a comparison of the classic cards with the new ones and some measurements. In the pic above, is that a full size Artifact card from 1990 there or is that one of the smaller ones cut from the back of the quest book? Because it looks absolutely dwarfed (pardon the pun)!

Are the new cards really huge? The classic NA cards are US game card size PLUS 1 mm taller on the top (a custom size). So are the Remake cards Poker size, or are they like Index card size, because they appear gargantuan in the videos I've seen (could be the angle and the size of the person's hands presenting them, etc).


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7112
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest