• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Elf spell questions

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Elf Quest Pack: The Mage of the Mirror.

Re: Elf spell questions

Postby wallydubbs » November 9th, 2018, 11:56 am

Lol, it seems pretty straight forward that the hero gets to take another turn immediately after his last, I don't see why it has to be picked apart like this.
But the rules of hero quest allow Zargon (Morcar) to play it whichever way he sees fit. So if you want to read into another way that is your prerogative.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby The Admiral » November 9th, 2018, 3:10 pm

wallydubbs wrote:Lol, it seems pretty straight forward that the hero gets to take another turn immediately after his last, I don't see why it has to be picked apart like this.
But the rules of hero quest allow Zargon (Morcar) to play it whichever way he sees fit. So if you want to read into another way that is your prerogative.

I think the issue for me is "immediately after his current turn". Does 'his' refer to the caster, or the Hero on who the spell has been cast? In the former the Hero takes the extra turn after the Elf's turn. In the latter it's taken after the Hero's turn on who the spell was cast. I interpret it as the former. So when the Elf has finished his turn, time stops and the Hero on who the spell was cast takes a free turn. If asking which way people go is 'picking it apart' then I stand as guilty :geek:

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 9th, 2018, 3:28 pm

The Admiral wrote:I think the issue for me is "immediately after his current turn". Does 'his' refer to the caster, or the Hero on who the spell has been cast? In the former the Hero takes the extra turn after the Elf's turn. In the latter it's taken after the Hero's turn on who the spell was cast. I interpret it as the former. So when the Elf has finished his turn, time stops and the Hero on who the spell was cast takes a free turn. If asking which way people go is 'picking it apart' then I stand as guilty :geek:

Perhaps "picking apart" was a bit strong, but that was more so in regard to Maurice, Knightcrawler and myself are determining what we find grammatically correct, when the game, in fact, was not put together so specifically.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » November 9th, 2018, 6:44 pm

wallydubbs wrote: determining what we find grammatically correct, when the game, in fact, was not put together so specifically.

And therein lies a lot of the problems. The rules and cards are just not tight.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 10th, 2018, 1:03 am

The Admiral wrote:
wallydubbs wrote: determining what we find grammatically correct, when the game, in fact, was not put together so specifically.

And therein lies a lot of the problems. The rules and cards are just not tight.

Exactly why Zargon gets the final say.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby Maurice76 » November 11th, 2018, 6:00 pm

wallydubbs wrote:Perhaps "picking apart" was a bit strong, but that was more so in regard to Maurice, Knightcrawler and myself are determining what we find grammatically correct, when the game, in fact, was not put together so specifically.

In all honesty, I am looking at stuff like that mostly from a pragmatical point of view :P. I try to reason the logic behind the rules and then extrapolate that logic into the areas where ambiguity exists, to find a satisfactory solution.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 12th, 2018, 8:14 am

Maurice76 wrote:In all honesty, I am looking at stuff like that mostly from a pragmatical point of view :P. I try to reason the logic behind the rules and then extrapolate that logic into the areas where ambiguity exists, to find a satisfactory solution.

Well generally I'm guilty of that too. I've been trying to find logic in why the spells Invisibility and Disappearance shouldn't encapsulate the powers of Veil of Mist as all 3 limit a monster's vision of the hero.
However, in this case I feel if the card meant that the hero could take another turn immediately after the Spell caster it would say so. In this case, a quick read shows that the first sentence refers to the Spell caster while the 2nd sentence refers to the hero under the effects of the spell.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby wallydubbs » April 8th, 2019, 1:31 pm

Does it seem right to everybody that Hypnotic Blaze would work on the Undead?

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » April 8th, 2019, 4:10 pm

wallydubbs wrote:Does it seem right to everybody that Hypnotic Blaze would work on the Undead?

No, I don't think it should.

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » April 9th, 2019, 5:53 pm

The Admiral wrote:
wallydubbs wrote:Does it seem right to everybody that Hypnotic Blaze would work on the Undead?

No, I don't think it should.

Though it doesn't discount them, unlike the Sleep Spell, they seem to be the only monster with no defense to it. This, in part, is probably due to the fact that it was never playtested. House rules, I guess.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to The Mage of the Mirror