• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Cloak of shadows problem

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Wizards of Morcar Quest Pack.

Cloak of shadows problem

Postby HeroQuestFrance » January 15th, 2009, 12:26 pm

For some reasons,some boxes purpose the tile in 6 parts (6x1 square) or in one. (2x3 squares)
First for those who have the 6 parts it can suits into corridors or like they want into the room.
The others not....

Secondly what about this spell if the cloak of shadows is on a trap... ?
Can we use it on a trap discovered or not ?
Which effects ? What do you do exactly with this into your parties ?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
HeroQuestFrance

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Cloak of shadows problem

Postby drathe » January 15th, 2009, 8:40 pm

From what I've heard, it was the first run that had the Cloak of Shadows split into 6 pieces in error. I have a German and English copy and both of mine have a full tile. I've yet to have the chance to play Wizards of Morcar, but I would assume the Cloak could shroud spaces with traps in darkness, but Heroes who move onto these squares still spring them. Now that I think about it. I would not allow those traps to be found in searches due to the Shadows. In the case of a sprung pit, if a Hero cannot see the pit because of the Shadow, they should not be allowed to jump it.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Phoenix » January 16th, 2009, 2:58 am

I agree with th pit jumping. the Question though, is what about Falling Block Traps? What if they choose to jump into a wall? Perhaps a die roll to determine direction?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » October 29th, 2018, 12:29 pm

Yeah, I've been wondering about Cloak of Shadows on put traps too. I haven't really come across it yet, but I assume the trap is still there, but you can't really see it, though. That is really the premis of Cloak of Shadows, no-one can attack because they can't see a target. So you can assume the traps are still there.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » October 29th, 2018, 12:37 pm

Basically, I consider the Cloak of Shadows to just completely remove vision within the region. It doesn't otherwise alter the environment at all, i.e. all objects are still there - and you can bump into them or fall into them.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » October 29th, 2018, 2:14 pm

drathe wrote:From what I've heard, it was the first run that had the Cloak of Shadows split into 6 pieces in error. I have a German and English copy and both of mine have a full tile. I've yet to have the chance to play Wizards of Morcar, but I would assume the Cloak could shroud spaces with traps in darkness, but Heroes who move onto these squares still spring them. Now that I think about it. I would not allow those traps to be found in searches due to the Shadows. In the case of a sprung pit, if a Hero cannot see the pit because of the Shadow, they should not be allowed to jump it.

Crap! I learn this just now. I have the 6 pieces and always just assumed you could make the cloud as big or small as you wanted when it was cast.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » September 21st, 2019, 11:36 am

Does Cloak of Shadows block Line of Sight?

Example:
If the Elf (with Air Spells) is in Room A, which leads into Room B, which has the Orc Shaman and a bunch of Goblins in it, but the Wizard had previously cast Cloak of Shadows at the entrance to Room B, can the Elf cast Genie to attack the Orc Shaman?
The Elf is not in the Cloak of Shadows, but it does stand between him and the Orc Shaman.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » September 22nd, 2019, 1:25 pm

Good question Wally!
I think it will block the spell because it is some kind of magic safe area that doesn't allow other magic inside of it so once the spell enter the area it will be automatically broken by Cloak of Shadows power.
Anyway that tile you used in the pic is a Magical Darkness and not a Cloack of Shadows.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » September 22nd, 2019, 8:32 pm

lestodante wrote:Good question Wally!
I think it will block the spell because it is some kind of magic safe area that doesn't allow other magic inside of it so once the spell enter the area it will be automatically broken by Cloak of Shadows power.
Anyway that tile you used in the pic is a Magical Darkness and not a Cloack of Shadows.

Yes, I'm quite aware. If you read the small print under the picture I said I don't have the Cloak of Shadows tile and I'm using the Cload of Chaos instead.

I would guess since the Cloak of Shadows is a Zone of Silence, no attacking or Magic can be used within it. Initially I thought this was just preventing everyone within and around it from seeing. But this also prevents spells from being cast within. Also if it was just stark blindness undead and a Giant Wolf might still be able to locate someone within it. But it might as well be a dead zone. I suppose it would block line of sight depending how you look at it. Thus, perhaps spells can't pass through it either.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby Maurice76 » September 23rd, 2019, 1:57 pm

I'd say the region of the shadow is actually in 3 dimensions, and hence has height as well. As such, the Elf is unable to see anything within or beyond the shadows - and therefore, any targeted spells can't be used on any creature within or beyond the shadows. Hence, the Elf can't help the Dwarf by casting Genie on the Shaman.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Wizards of Morcar