• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Chaos Warlock icon - fan made or original?

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Wizards of Morcar Quest Pack.

Chaos Warlock icon - fan made or original?

Postby Kurgan » August 2nd, 2022, 9:57 am

Since I didn't grow up with the EU quests, I kind of picked up and sort of assumed that the familiar "chaos warlock" icon was part of the game. But it doesn't appear in the GS, ROTWL, KK, EQP, BQP or even the Adventure Design Kit.

But now I'm starting to wonder if it's, as on Elvyler's page, a fan made creation combining the Skeleton face icon with the Chaos Warrior helmet design into one. So who created it? I see it's part of HeroScribe's archives but I can't quite see any author information (having trouble installing it properly in win 11).

The original scans of Wizards of Morcar and Against the Ogre Horde aren't on the main page, only fan recreations, so I was curious if page 14 of WOM really shows such an icon at letter A or if it's just the note.

Thanks in advance for anyone who knows!

I see in the remake the hunt is on for a high quality version of the Dread Sorcerer icon (which only appears in New Beginnings, a quest that doesn't use high res vector graphics, and of course in the Mythic exclusive Crypt of Perpetual Darkness that has never been publicly released in digital format, though various people have tried to scan it, and that it's legit for this forum obviously). Elvyler's article posted the highest res version of it I'd seen so far... but again that's the remake version.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Chaos Warlock icon - fan made or original?

Postby j_dean80 » August 2nd, 2022, 10:26 am

Go to yeoldeinn.com then click English. From there you can see the original scans for AtOH and WoM.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby cornixt » August 2nd, 2022, 11:06 am

j_dean80 wrote:Go to yeoldeinn.com

Hmm, never heard of it.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » August 2nd, 2022, 12:56 pm

Ah, sometimes I forget about using the flags for navigating the page. So as HeroScribe explains, the icon first appeared in 1996 in the fanzine "Adventures Unlimited" for the fanmade quest "The Inn of Chaos." The original was black and white.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » August 2nd, 2022, 6:52 pm

The Chaos Warlock icon, as the Dwarf icon also, does NOT appear in any of the questbook.
There is also a second Chaos Warlock icon, created by Decipher, by vectorizing the head of the sorcerer from a picture in the sticker album. It can be found in his map template.

There isn't a Dwarf icon in any of the Hero Quest books.
The icon you see is copyright of Luis Bermudez (a.k.a. Wolf): he kindly created it for HeroScribe.
Many thanks to him!

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Wizards of Morcar