• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Orc shaman spells question

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Wizards of Morcar Quest Pack.

Re: Orc shaman spells question

Postby Daedalus » March 11th, 2013, 4:56 pm

Fullork345 wrote:
I don't think it's necessary to treat the Summon Orcs spell as containing a typo. Rather, it's a spell with more limited uses that should be judged against the two Quests that the Orc Shaman appears in. In Lair of the Orc Shaman, the benefit of the spell is Orc placement/movement. A pair of Heroes could quickly put the Orc Shaman at risk on his right flank, but it is unlikely a third Hero will have enough movement to attack him that early. Summon Orcs would then be useful to shore up the vulnerable right (top) flank with extra Orcs without compromising the Shaman's left flank. Also, the table makes it possible for a pair of Orcs to be caught behind the Heroes, making them pretty useless for saving their boss. Summon Orcs can put them in a more tactical position as a meat shield, allowing the Shaman more casting opportunities.

The Summon Orcs spell comes into its own during the following Quest, The Final Conflict. The Orc Shaman starts on the board and is free to move and open doors, thus revealing Orc-summoning possiblilities before the Heroes have a chance to stop him. Summoned Orcs could then be placed behind battle lines, where their attacks could do more harm. Also, getting two more Orcs into an otherwise bottlenecked room makes Sharpen Blades or Shield of Protection all the more useful.

But can't all that be done without the spell? Once again the orcs can move normally. And the spell requires line of site. if it said take them from anywhere on the board and place them within his line of site like the goblin does, it would still have a use.

To each his own I guess though.

Okay, upon taking a second look, I gotta agree with ya on the first of the Quests, Lair of the Orc Shaman. There will probably only be three Heroes trying to trap the Shaman as one will be teleported a far distance away. Combine that with the fact that the Shaman can move through Orcs, and Morcar can use normal movement to pretty much protect him to best advantage as Orcs move through other monsters to reinforce for the Shaman.

In the second of the Quests, The Final Conflict, my opinion would stand up better, but the point is moot as I'm gonna reverse it. I think you're right, there is a typo. The poor wording doesn't mention at all where to place the Orcs. I think your interpretation is correct. The wording should parallel that of the Summon Goblin spell card. I see drathe has included Sjeng's edited card in the files. Nice find.

The original card's wording:
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Fullork345 » March 12th, 2013, 11:30 pm

If it brought the guys next to him i wouldn't have debated with you, but the orgional wording doesn't say that.

With that said, I don't see myself ever playing through it, but I orgionally made this thread because of the descripancy looking through the cards.
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Fullork345 » June 19th, 2016, 6:18 pm

So the 2006 faq apparently makes it just like the goblin spell.
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » June 20th, 2016, 8:23 am

I reworked the Summon Orc Spell to look like that:

So for AT/DE 2/2 Heroes or 3/3 Heroes you place two Orcs,
For 4/4 Heroes you place 3 Orcs and
For 5/5 Heroes you place 4 Orcs.

That has a little bit to do with correcting the Typo and a little bit with balancing, because balancing is a thing I really find important after years of GW games.

It has not so much to do with the original, of course. :D

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 27th, 2016, 12:25 am

Daedalus wrote:I don't think it's necessary to treat the Summon Orcs spell as containing a typo.

Gotta backpedal on this. It has since been discovered the Summon Orcs spell card has been. corrected on Hasbro's errata page. It works ike Summon Goblins.

Hasbro wrote:Card “Summon Orcs”, line 3, add “...two Orc figures from anywhere on or off the gameboard and place them anywhere within his line of sight.”
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous

Return to Wizards of Morcar