• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Orc shaman spells question

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Wizards of Morcar Quest Pack.

Orc shaman spells question

Postby Fullork345 » January 7th, 2013, 1:01 pm

What's the point to the summon orcs spell? Wouldn't orcs close enough for you to use it be near enough to get into the fight? Or does the uk system have different rules? It just seems like the spell does nothing and the us version of that spell is better. Or is the scan I'm reading a typo? The summon goblins says from on or off the board, the orc one doesn't.
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Orc shaman spells question

Postby Sjeng » January 7th, 2013, 1:17 pm

I've never really read those cards that well, and it seems you're right. The UK and Dutch versions all state the orcs must be in his line of sight, making the spell kinda useless indeed... I'd say pick 2 from on or off the board, same as goblins, only less in number.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Fullork345 » January 10th, 2013, 12:15 pm

Another thought I had, is maby it allows 2 to make 2 attacks? You choose two you didn't do already, they move/attack, then they can act normally?

I guess the same for the goblin spell?

Just a thought.
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Patroclus » January 10th, 2013, 4:11 pm

No, it’s not a typo… but as Sjeng says, use it like the “summon goblins” card, even if the orcs are not in play. It’s a summon anyway… and even then, the 4 goblins are more lethal than the 2 orcs.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Fullork345 » January 11th, 2013, 6:35 pm

No, it’s not a typo

Well that's how I'll use it if I ever play wizards. But it still seems like a typo since that isn't actually what the card says.
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » January 12th, 2013, 6:30 am

summon means to call forth. so it has nothing to do with additional attacks. Just take 2 orcs from on or off the board and place them in the room with the shaman, let them attack once.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Fullork345 » January 12th, 2013, 12:21 pm

Sjeng wrote:summon means to call forth. so it has nothing to do with additional attacks. Just take 2 orcs from on or off the board and place them in the room with the shaman, let them attack once.

I know what summon means, but I was going by what the acard itself says. ANd I already said that's how I would play it.

I'm just saying that that's a way to read it since the card itself doesn't actually say take them from off the board, the goblin one does and is quite clear. Obviously a typo of sorts was made when they made the card.

But my initial question was answered, it was a typo on the card and not ment to be useless.
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » January 20th, 2013, 5:59 pm

I don't think it's necessary to treat the Summon Orcs spell as containing a typo. Rather, it's a spell with more limited uses that should be judged against the two Quests that the Orc Shaman appears in. In Lair of the Orc Shaman, the benefit of the spell is Orc placement/movement. A pair of Heroes could quickly put the Orc Shaman at risk on his right flank, but it is unlikely a third Hero will have enough movement to attack him that early. Summon Orcs would then be useful to shore up the vulnerable right (top) flank with extra Orcs without compromising the Shaman's left flank. Also, the table makes it possible for a pair of Orcs to be caught behind the Heroes, making them pretty useless for saving their boss. Summon Orcs can put them in a more tactical position as a meat shield, allowing the Shaman more casting opportunities.

The Summon Orcs spell comes into its own during the following Quest, The Final Conflict. The Orc Shaman starts on the board and is free to move and open doors, thus revealing Orc-summoning possiblilities before the Heroes have a chance to stop him. Summoned Orcs could then be placed behind battle lines, where their attacks could do more harm. Also, getting two more Orcs into an otherwise bottlenecked room makes Sharpen Blades or Shield of Protection all the more useful.

Patroclus wrote:… and even then, the 4 goblins are more lethal than the 2 orcs.

While I'll agree with you that normally 4 Goblins are more dangerous than 2 Orcs, I'd also point out that the Orcs in the Lair of the Orc Shaman are elite bodyguard that have improved stats of Attack 4 and Defend 3. This makes them more lethal than even 4 Goblins. Check the last post of the thread to see why (an Orc elite bodyguard is 13 XP).
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Fullork345 » March 8th, 2013, 7:36 pm

I don't think it's necessary to treat the Summon Orcs spell as containing a typo. Rather, it's a spell with more limited uses that should be judged against the two Quests that the Orc Shaman appears in. In Lair of the Orc Shaman, the benefit of the spell is Orc placement/movement. A pair of Heroes could quickly put the Orc Shaman at risk on his right flank, but it is unlikely a third Hero will have enough movement to attack him that early. Summon Orcs would then be useful to shore up the vulnerable right (top) flank with extra Orcs without compromising the Shaman's left flank. Also, the table makes it possible for a pair of Orcs to be caught behind the Heroes, making them pretty useless for saving their boss. Summon Orcs can put them in a more tactical position as a meat shield, allowing the Shaman more casting opportunities.

The Summon Orcs spell comes into its own during the following Quest, The Final Conflict. The Orc Shaman starts on the board and is free to move and open doors, thus revealing Orc-summoning possiblilities before the Heroes have a chance to stop him. Summoned Orcs could then be placed behind battle lines, where their attacks could do more harm. Also, getting two more Orcs into an otherwise bottlenecked room makes Sharpen Blades or Shield of Protection all the more useful.

But can't all that be done without the spell? Once again the orcs can move normally. And the spell requires line of site. if it said take them from anywhere on the board and place them within his line of site like the goblin does, it would still have a use.

To each his own I guess though.
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » March 9th, 2013, 4:43 am

in case someone wants this:

orc-spell-summon-orcs-sjeng.jpg
eu_orcshaman_back.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Wizards of Morcar