• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Mind Blast Question

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Against the Ogre Horde Quest Pack.

Mind Blast Question

Postby Jalapenotrellis » October 14th, 2021, 12:14 am

I'm unclear on Mind Blast.

"roll combat dice equal to Mind Point score"
"inflicts Mind Point damage" in excess skulls rolled over the opponent

Do the amount of dice you roll get reduced as you lose mind points due to the mind point damage? Does that reduce the Mind Point Score, making it unlikely to roll in excess as you lose more Mind Points?
Or, does the Mind Point Score stay the same. You just start with the the amount of mind points hit points equal to your initial Mind Point Score?

Also, the quest 3 sorcerer only has 1 body point. That must be an error.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Mind Blast Question

Postby Kurgan » October 14th, 2021, 8:23 am

I take it as referring to your Mind Points at the time, not your starting maximum. Chaos Sorcerer's tend to have multiples of these abilities, but not unlimited.

My gaming group hasn't progressed to that level yet, but I imagine it would really only allow the Sorcerer to eliminate one or two heroes, unless he is really lucky. Mind Blast can harm hin as well, if he's unlucky.

As for having 1 BP, yes, these expansions introduced multiple body point monsters to the EU, but tended only to apply to the Ogres. Phoenix's conversions were intended to merge them with the NA standards.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » October 14th, 2021, 1:41 pm

Jalapenotrellis wrote:"roll combat dice equal to Mind Point score"

example 1:
Evil Sorcerer attacks the Barbarian with Mind Blast;
Barbarian rolls 2 dice because he has 2 Mind Points and rolls :skull: :skull: ;
Evil sorcerer rolls 5 dice because he has 5 Mind Points and rolls :skull: :skull: :skull: :whiteshield: :whiteshield: ;
now consider only the skulls and ignore any shield rolled by the two figures;
the Evil Sorcerer wins, because he obtained more skulls.
Barbarian lose 1 Mind Point (3 skulls - 2 skulls = 1)

example 2
:
Evil Sorcerer attacks the Wizard with Mind Blast;
Wizard rolls 6 dice because he has 6 Mind Points and rolls :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :whiteshield: :blackshield: ;
Evil sorcerer rolls 5 dice because he has 5 Mind Points and rolls :skull: :skull: :whiteshield: :whiteshield: :blackshield: ;
the Evil Sorcerer lost, because he obtained less skulls than the Wizard.
Evil Sorcerer loses 2 Mind Point (4 skulls - 2 skulls = 2)

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » October 14th, 2021, 1:47 pm

lestodante wrote:
Jalapenotrellis wrote:"roll combat dice equal to Mind Point score"

example 1:
Evil Sorcerer attacks the Barbarian with Mind Blast;
Barbarian rolls 2 dice because he has 2 Mind Points and rolls :skull: :skull: ;
Evil sorcerer rolls 5 dice because he has 5 Mind Points and rolls :skull: :skull: :skull: :whiteshield: :whiteshield: ;
the Evil Sorcerer wins, because he obtained more skulls.
Barbarian lose 1 Mind Point (3 skulls - 2 skulls = 1)

example 2
:
Evil Sorcerer attacks the Wizard with Mind Blast;
Wizard rolls 6 dice because he has 6 Mind Points and rolls :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :whiteshield: :blackshield: ;
Evil sorcerer rolls 5 dice because he has 5 Mind Points and rolls :skull: :skull: :whiteshield: :whiteshield: :blackshield: ;
the Evil Sorcerer lost, because he obtained less skulls than the Wizard.
Evil Sorcerer loses 2 Mind Point (4 skulls - 2 skulls = 2)

Yes, I get this part. The question is though, say the next turn, does the Evil Sorcerer in example 2 roll 3 dice because he lost 2 mind points? Or does he still roll 5, but he just dies if he loses 3+ mind points after?
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » October 14th, 2021, 1:49 pm

Kurgan wrote:I take it as referring to your Mind Points at the time, not your starting maximum. Chaos Sorcerer's tend to have multiples of these abilities, but not unlimited.

My gaming group hasn't progressed to that level yet, but I imagine it would really only allow the Sorcerer to eliminate one or two heroes, unless he is really lucky. Mind Blast can harm hin as well, if he's unlucky.

As for having 1 BP, yes, these expansions introduced multiple body point monsters to the EU, but tended only to apply to the Ogres. Phoenix's conversions were intended to merge them with the NA standards.

So you'd take it as a cumulative deduction affecting later castings of Mind Blast (they roll fewer dice as they lose Mind Points).
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » October 15th, 2021, 11:02 am

Jalapenotrellis wrote:I'm unclear on Mind Blast.

"roll combat dice equal to Mind Point score"

Do the amount of dice you roll get reduced as you lose mind points due to the mind point damage? Does that reduce the Mind Point Score, making it unlikely to roll in excess as you lose more Mind Points?
Or, does the Mind Point Score stay the same. You just start with the the amount of mind points hit points equal to your initial Mind Point Score?

Good question, but tough one! Now I'm forced to look into it generate an opinion (I believe I had originally held Kurgan's point of view.)

I'd say the Mind Point score stays the same. "Mind Point score" is only mentioned for attacking under Mind Blast. Neither Mind Lock nor Dominate uses this description. Instead, they only use "Mind points." I believe the difference is there to indicate the Mind Point score is a static number. This contrasts to "your current score" mentioned under Mind: of p.5 in the Rules of Play.

Also consider that if the attack dice were meant to be reduced as a Chaos Sorcerer took Mind point damage from a lost combat, the spell would become a liability as he would be more likely to lose further attack rolls.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » October 15th, 2021, 11:59 am

Jalapenotrellis wrote:
Kurgan wrote:I take it as referring to your Mind Points at the time, not your starting maximum. Chaos Sorcerer's tend to have multiples of these abilities, but not unlimited.

So you'd take it as a cumulative deduction affecting later castings of Mind Blast (they roll fewer dice as they lose Mind Points).

Exactly. The good guys have (rare) ways to restore or even increase Mind Points (Talisman of Lore), while the bad guys do not. If he weakens from bad rolls, it's less wise for him to keep using it. In Phoenix's conversion at least, the Sorcerer's have 5, 8 and 4 Mind Points respectively.

If we're using the pre-EQP/BQP rules for 0 Mind Point Heroes, this is pretty useful, against those low MP heroes. I think it's a nice contrast to the high BP (but low MP) monsters in this pack. It gives the Elf and especially the Wizard more of a chance to shine.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » October 21st, 2021, 1:48 pm

Both Kurgan and Daedalus have extremely convincing arguments. I'm torn between the options.

by the way, did yall use the new Talisman of Lore (+2) or the NA game system version (+1)? We have put it on the barbarian.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » October 22nd, 2021, 4:07 am

Back in my day, we used the +1 version . . . AND WE LIKED IT! :dwarf:
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » October 28th, 2021, 1:48 am

Well, quest 3 just finished. I ran with the continuing depletion of mind points method. Got three casts off because I positioned the mummies in front of the door and gave the chaos sorcerer 3 BP instead of 1. Barb and dwarf and elf got hit and none went unconscious. They could have skipped the whole area because they beat the quest by taking the left route. But I coerced them to go back for more damage, lol.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Against the Ogre Horde