• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Variable Body Points

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Against the Ogre Horde Quest Pack.

Variable Body Points

Postby lucasdp » March 7th, 2017, 2:01 pm

As my group prepares to go Against the Ogre Horde, I'll probably be blowing up threads in the AtOH room over the next couple weeks. :)
We've been playing NA rules the whole time, so I've decided to use Phoenix's body points for the Ogres. But I can see how the variable points would be interesting and probably work well within the EU rule-set. In fact, I'm actually quite curious to see how that would play out.
Have any of you EU folks played AtOH with the variable points? I can imagine a situation where heroes have a (relatively) long, epic battle with one ogre, and then the next one to come along is defeated with very little effort. :lol: Anyone have any good stories from a game like this?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Variable Body Points

Postby clmckay » March 7th, 2017, 2:26 pm

We played one game that way last year when we went through AtOH.

I think it's an interesting concept. We didn't feel like it played well in practice though. Some of the charm was in the unpredictable nature for the Heroes (Hmmmm do I fire this thing or see what happens), but at the same time the reduction in predictability and timing of the battles was a bit of a let-down.

So we stopped after only using it for one quest.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby slev » March 27th, 2017, 6:44 am

It actually reduces difficulty, as excess BP damage is never wasted. This can lead to a situation where each person is fighting an Ogre in a different room, and a single battleaxe strike take all four of them out, as the large number of wandering Monsters has lead to them all having 1BP each!

I adjusted the Ogres to be munti-BP monsters when I created HQR, and this worked MUCH better.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » March 27th, 2017, 12:38 pm

Aren't you supposed to stop ticking boxes after arriving at a skull even if you had more hits?
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby slev » March 27th, 2017, 1:09 pm

Perhaps. It has been a while, but that was how we understood it as kids and thus played it.
The point was that, if the WM is an Ogre, then it neds either e REALLY long line of boxes, or some other system!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gav_el » September 18th, 2019, 6:53 pm

I have never been able to figure out the body points For ogres and the instructions at the beginning of the quest book don’t make much sense either. Can anyone explain it to me?
Gav_el

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby Maurice76 » September 19th, 2019, 3:22 am

Basically, you cross off each box in succession whenever an Ogre is hit for damage, at a rate of one box for each body point damage dealt - any Ogre. At any time you have to cross off a box that contains a skull, the Ogre against whom the hit was scored is killed (at which point you stop crossing off boxes for that Ogre, of course). There's a skull for every Ogre in the mission, so once you've crossed off all boxes, all Ogres in the mission should be dead too.

It's a rather convoluted way to go about it; it's almost as if they were afraid that people would consider it too hard to keep track of individual monster hitpoints instead of this system.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » September 19th, 2019, 3:25 am

I'm sure I've asked this before, but if I am playing the American version of HeroQuest and then get to the Against the Ogre Horde Quest pack, do I continue playing with American rules, or do I have to learn the European rules in order to play that particular pack?
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » September 19th, 2019, 4:11 am

Jalapenotrellis wrote:I'm sure I've asked this before, but if I am playing the American version of HeroQuest and then get to the Against the Ogre Horde Quest pack, do I continue playing with American rules, or do I have to learn the European rules in order to play that particular pack?

I would continue playing with the rules that your players have been using. Just give Ogre warriors 4 body points each (and 5 BP for the other Ogre types), and forget that variable body points nonsense.

Of course you could combine the best of the two rule systems, and add in other improvements to the game via house rules here and there as you go, but I think I heard you say somewhere that you really want to follow the expansions as they are written.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » September 19th, 2019, 4:54 am

We had great fun back in the day when we played this with EU rules. I don't remember any problems with the variable BP's, but it was clearly an attempt at bringing BP's into the game without having to track them on individual monsters. Comparing it to the NA system it sucks. In theory, one ogre in a multi ogre room could take massive damage until it dies, while all the others die when losing only 1BP. BP's worked fine in WoM because the monsters with BP's were distinct individual figures and they could therefore assign them set BP's.

We played AtOH recently for our new Heroes with set BP's. It will work perfectly fine with either system, but variable BP's just aren't realistic.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Against the Ogre Horde