• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Veil of Mist vs. Dust of Disappearance

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Return of the Witch Lord Quest Pack.

Re: Veil of Mist vs. Dust of Disappearance

Postby Kurgan » September 12th, 2021, 8:20 am

An oldie but goodie!

I understand, this is an NA exclusive and some are wondering how to adapt it to other editions. Are they worried that it's too powerful? There are those who want spell scrolls to only be usable by magic users (I disagree, the whole point is that anyone can use it, once).

I'd treat it as it is on the card. But as this isn't a spell scroll, it doesn't use up an action explicitly (as a "Veil of Mist" spell scroll would since casting a spell is considered an action). It also isn't a potion (which is never an action to use), so it can be tossed on someone. It doesn't mention range limitation, so just like with Holy Water (though that one functions like a spell scroll, rather than a potion, even though Scrolls aren't a part of those editions as mentioned), I'd say you can toss it at any range as well. It's a magical object, go figure. I know that many homebrewers put range limitations on projectiles, but the base rules don't and so I don't. I think the only thing we ever did at our table was say if you tossed a potion across the board to someone, you had to roll to see if they fumbled it (and it broke).

Yes, you can pass it to someone, just like you can any artifact (or indeed any item at all), on your turn, to an adjacent Hero when there's no adjacent monster.

All it does is let the target Hero pass through monsters. It doesn't say mercenary (I don't see why you couldn't use it on one, but if you want to be super strict with the text you could exclude them).

It shouldn't break the game, since it's a single use item that isn't plentiful in the quests if I recall correctly. In my homebrew I've added it as a regular item you can find in the treasure deck (but that extra version is weaker than the artifact one that is designated in the quest notes). And just as Veil of Mist works against all types of monsters (the only question really was whether that includes Ogres, and I would say "yes") so too Dust of Disappearance would work on Undead as well. However it works, it lets you pass by monsters, just like you would other heroes, which certainly can be useful.

People use what they want. I agree, at the beginning players tend to see spell groups as only useful based on attacks and heals, but more seasoned players know how to use the other spells to their advantage in the right situations.

As always you do what you like when it's your game, of course. My general philosophy is to start with the base rules (cards and quest notes modify them anyway, providing the exceptions) and go from there.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Previous

Return to Return of the Witch Lord