• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Skulmar and Kessandria revealed?

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Return of the Witch Lord Quest Pack.

Skulmar and Kessandria revealed?

Postby Daedalus » February 16th, 2018, 2:41 am

I've never thought too much about the cover art changes that exist between the published UK and NA versions.

I figured, the original Les Edwards art looks better, but the NA copy was changed to better appeal to a juvenile US market raised on cartoons like Masters of the Universe. Then this from the HeroQuest Compatible Miniatures thread:

lestodante wrote:I like that female barbarian!! And also that mini you used to represent Skulmar is nice, but I think it is a bit too muscled.
Also I think the skeleton on the left of the Witch Lord on the USA box cover is a better Skulmar:

Daedalus wrote:That is an interesting observation--thanks for bringing it to our attention. I see the same background figure as Kessandria. "She" is adorned in long robes, a necklace, and a crown-like helm with long chain resembling hair. But what is that below the left-hand sleeve? [My daughter pointed out that it is the hem of a low-hanging sleeve. -edit]

I saw the black-armored figure armed with a sword (left of the Witch Lord) as a candidate for Skulmar. Still, I wondered about the other near-background figure just behind the Elf which was obscured by a yellow text box. Then I remembered the wider Quest Booklet cover art.

For the NA art at least, the purple-clothed skeleton is clearly one of three well-equipped soldiers--either from the Witch Lord's elite Lost Legion or something similar. However, the black-armored guy I had pegged as Skulmar probably wasn't him, as a similarly-equipped guard is now revealed behind the Elf. That pair is likely more elite of the Lost Legion or some other group.

One other figure is prominently displayed in the left, near-background. It is also robed in black and wears a tall, red cowl/hat and medallion. That makes two court members with special status headgear in places of honor just behind the Witch Lord. Only Skulmar and Kessandria are mentioned in the fluff and featured in the Quests. It's speculation of course, but I feel this match shows the artist was instructed to include them in the new cover.

With all that in mind, I find myself circuitously coming to agreement with lestodante. The black-robed figure on the right with the horned helmet appears to be Skulmar, while the black-robed figure on the left with the red cowl is probably Kessandria. Does it get any geekier?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Skulmar and Kessandria revealed?

Postby Spookyhappyfun » February 17th, 2018, 7:51 pm

This is interesting. I forgot about the wider art. I think you may be on to something.

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » June 2nd, 2018, 9:40 pm

Brilliant justifications, added to my own personal headcanon!
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » June 3rd, 2018, 2:22 am

benvoliothefirst wrote:Brilliant justifications, added to my own personal headcanon!

Makes you sound like a humongous robot fighting a kaiju. Oh, wait, there's only two "n"s in "canon"...
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » June 3rd, 2018, 5:22 am

An interesting thing about the painting is how well-maintained the undead's equipment and clothes are. It's not at all rusted or tattered.
These undead weren't just raised from the grave and put directly to work.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » June 3rd, 2018, 1:05 pm

That's the style of the time isn't it?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » June 3rd, 2018, 5:15 pm

I'd say it's also the style of the Court of the Dead. Everybody's dressed to die for.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » October 31st, 2018, 6:44 am

Interesting, I never really looked into it that hard. However I'm intrigued that the European version foreshadows the femal Barbarian in the background...

I wonder if this is where the Barbarian Quest Pack got the idea from...

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » October 31st, 2018, 7:24 am

wallydubbs wrote:Interesting, I never really looked into it that hard. However I'm intrigued that the European version foreshadows the femal Barbarian in the background...

I wonder if this is where the Barbarian Quest Pack got the idea from...

I don't see it...
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » October 31st, 2018, 8:02 am

wallydubbs wrote:However I'm intrigued that the European version foreshadows the femal Barbarian in the background.

Where do you see this? I've never noticed it in any way, so I am curious as to what you're seeing.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Return of the Witch Lord