• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Beefing up Guardian of Grin's Crag

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc from the Kellar's Keep Quest Pack.

Re: Beefing up Guardian of Grin's Crag

Postby TMU » May 20th, 2018, 8:32 am

Can't see the picture.
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby aaronAGN » May 21st, 2018, 12:25 pm

benvoliothefirst wrote:Keep in mind I'm NO games designer, so comments/criticism/emotional outbursts are welcome!

My plan was to make this an EPIC encounter, so I wanted to have a whole new board which was two squares wide like the wide hallways from the center of the standard HQ board. It would weave back and forth but still allow for heroes to fight side by side. (You know what? This would be easier with a visual aid. Quick detour into Illustrator later:

(Just a mockup, the full-size version would be as many squares wide as the actual HQ board.)

What's keeping them from circumventing the Guardian entirely if the "ledge" is two squares wide?

Each turn of the quest the EWP gets a corresponding number of orcs.Turn 1: 1 orc. Turn 6, 6 orcs! Orcs would start at the bottom of the above image, and rather than being able to move the orcs up to their maximum move distance each turn, for this quest the EWP would have to roll a red die and move them that many spaces up the board toward the heroes on the other side of the ledge. If the orcs make it across the crevasse by rolling a number greater than two, they make it to the other side and bowl into any heroes they land on, causing 1 damage. If they end their move IN the crevasse, make the Wilhelm scream because they've fallen in!

Thoughts?

Your image didn't load.
Did you copy the right url??
aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » May 21st, 2018, 1:16 pm

Thanks to those who pointed out the link didn't work. The loss of Photobucket saddens us all, and google photos is a poor substitute.

Try this link and let me know if it works for you:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eRofrHoquprtDcL52
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » May 21st, 2018, 4:00 pm

benvoliothefirst wrote:What's keeping them from circumventing the Guardian entirely if the "ledge" is two squares wide?

You could rule that the Gargoyle is two squares wide, like the Frozen Horror. Definitely plausible what with the wings and all.
The link works.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 5th, 2018, 4:22 pm

Pancho wrote:I like it Daedalus.
Giving it the pass through rock spell is a very simple upgrade that nevertheless fits in with the art and fluff of the expansion pack. I like quests that use existing rules where possible rather than adding new stuff, so I'll think I'll go with this.
No more hiding behind the Barbarian on the Crag and letting him do all the work!

So I was thinking about this as well, as there are already other posts here, Deadelus did make an astute observation that this is the scene from the cover of Keller's Keep, and he suggested giving the Gargoyle Pass Through Rock. However I'm thinking of a way to utilize the situation of fighting on the edge of a cliff... I mean that's what the tile's there for.
The Gargoyle coming out of rock works too, but he also has wings and this is supposedly a half open area. Some players play with the "push rule", that a hero or monster can push their opponent back. Is there some way to utilize it in this situation? The Gargoyle has wings so I assume he could fly (or at least glide). Why not have a last bit of danger with the Gargoyle having the ability to push a hero off the cliff?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » November 6th, 2018, 5:27 am

wallydubbs wrote:
Pancho wrote:I like it Daedalus.
Giving it the pass through rock spell is a very simple upgrade that nevertheless fits in with the art and fluff of the expansion pack. I like quests that use existing rules where possible rather than adding new stuff, so I'll think I'll go with this.
No more hiding behind the Barbarian on the Crag and letting him do all the work!

So I was thinking about this as well, as there are already other posts here, Deadelus did make an astute observation that this is the scene from the cover of Keller's Keep, and he suggested giving the Gargoyle Pass Through Rock. However I'm thinking of a way to utilize the situation of fighting on the edge of a cliff... I mean that's what the tile's there for.
The Gargoyle coming out of rock works too, but he also has wings and this is supposedly a half open area. Some players play with the "push rule", that a hero or monster can push their opponent back. Is there some way to utilize it in this situation? The Gargoyle has wings so I assume he could fly (or at least glide). Why not have a last bit of danger with the Gargoyle having the ability to push a hero off the cliff?

Actually, the Gargoyles are based off of Blood Thirster Daemons. Those things are nasty! The Wiki text can be used as inspiration for possible Gargoyle abilities ;).

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 14th, 2018, 8:42 am

Maurice76 wrote:Actually, the Gargoyles are based off of Blood Thirster Daemons. Those things are nasty! The Wiki text can be used as inspiration for possible Gargoyle abilities ;).

That's a useful little tidbit, thanks for the input.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous

Return to Kellar's Keep