• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Beefing up Guardian of Grin's Crag

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc from the Kellar's Keep Quest Pack.

Beefing up Guardian of Grin's Crag

Postby Pancho » April 3rd, 2018, 1:37 am

We are getting closer to playing Grin's Crag and I am toying with the idea of beefing up the end bit of the quest, the encounter with the gargoyle guardian on the Crag itself.
It may be the battle on the iconic box/book cover, but although it gets its own tile, there isn't much in the actual game to spice this final boss battle up in terms of special rules.

Any ideas for special rule I could introduce for the Guardian of Grin's Crag to make it a bit more challenging? I have a few ideas but not sure if they would work well, or make it too difficult for the Heroes.

Thanks |_P
Last edited by Pancho on April 4th, 2018, 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Beefing up Grin's Crag

Postby Pancho » April 3rd, 2018, 6:37 am

One idea I have is to incorporate Grins map somehow, as it has no real use otherwise.
Maybe, to open the gate to finally rescue the emperor a hero has to pass a roll based on his mind points. He can add 1 to the score for each part of the map he has (there are runes on the map that help), and the Dwarf gets a bonus too just for being a rune-reading-Dwarf-door-code-breaking dude.
Meanwhile, the freakin' stone gargoyle keeps respawning out of the very rock of the Crag itself, just like the picture on the front cover, so if a player fails his roll, he could be in big trouble.
Also, the Crag is very narrow so no hero can pass another, making it an important choice who stands by the door and tries to pass the door opening test.

What do you guys think?

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Re: Beefing up Grin's Crag

Postby Anderas » April 3rd, 2018, 12:16 pm

I uploaded an alternative version of the stone map somewhere here

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Re: Beefing up Guardian of Grin's Crag

Postby Daedalus » May 5th, 2018, 3:43 pm

Anderas' excellent alternate map can be found at this post and at the forum Gallery, as well.

Pancho wrote:. . . Any ideas for special rule I could introduce for the Guardian of Grin's Crag to make it a bit more challenging? I have a few ideas but not sure if they would work well, or make it too difficult for the Heroes.

Thanks |_P

Beefing up the Gargoyle is your thread.

Beyond that, how about the Gargoyle has an ability that works similar to the Pass Through Rock spell? (That was how it suddenly appeared on the crag per the Quest notes.) On its turn, the Gargoyle may move into or out of any of the squares of the crag for its move. Remove the Gargoyle figure from the gameboard or place it back on any of the squares on the Grin's Crag tile as needed.

If the Heroes allow it, the Gargoyle should manage to escape half of the Heroes' attacks and get at the rear of the line. Smart Heroes can counter these tactics through positioning.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Pancho » May 6th, 2018, 2:33 pm

I like it Daedalus.
Giving it the pass through rock spell is a very simple upgrade that nevertheless fits in with the art and fluff of the expansion pack. I like quests that use existing rules where possible rather than adding new stuff, so I'll think I'll go with this.
No more hiding behind the Barbarian on the Crag and letting him do all the work!

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby benvoliothefirst » May 7th, 2018, 4:08 pm

Love it Daedalus! I had also thought to go completely bananas and introduce a "Bowling for Heroes" mechanic where the Crag would be as long as a typical gameboard and the evil wizard could put a number of orcs equal to the turn number into play and they roll down the hill at the heroes. The rules got very complicated very fast but I agree that making this iconic scene more than just a hallway should be a priority!
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » May 8th, 2018, 3:14 am

That bowling part,
What exactly did you have in mind? :lol:
It just sounds quite interesting right now.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » May 8th, 2018, 6:45 am

It would be cool to have orcs on the Crag. I love the orc that has just gone over the edge and is clawing at the ground ground in desperation.
I'd like a rule where the monsters and heroes could potential fall into the abyss. Not sure about bowling though :shock:

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » May 8th, 2018, 7:21 am

Pancho wrote:I'd like a rule where the monsters and heroes could potential fall into the abyss.

How about
"A figure (except the Gargoyle) that loses more than two body points while on the crag, tumbles down and dies."
This would be a mechanic that would solve the "Barbarian first, then the Dwarf!" problem.
It's brainstorming, though. There might be improvements.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » May 20th, 2018, 7:11 am

Keep in mind I'm NO games designer, so comments/criticism/emotional outbursts are welcome!

My plan was to make this an EPIC encounter, so I wanted to have a whole new board which was two squares wide like the wide hallways from the center of the standard HQ board. It would weave back and forth but still allow for heroes to fight side by side. (You know what? This would be easier with a visual aid. Quick detour into Illustrator later:

EDIT: Apparently google photos aren't linkable, try clicking the html link below and let me know if anyone can see the image.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VXmnilB1tA1U9T7E3

(Just a mockup, the full-size version would be as many squares wide as the actual HQ board.)

What's keeping them from circumventing the Guardian entirely if the "ledge" is two squares wide?

Each turn of the quest the EWP gets a corresponding number of orcs.Turn 1: 1 orc. Turn 6, 6 orcs! Orcs would start at the bottom of the above image, and rather than being able to move the orcs up to their maximum move distance each turn, for this quest the EWP would have to roll a red die and move them that many spaces up the board toward the heroes on the other side of the ledge. If the orcs make it across the crevasse by rolling a number greater than two, they make it to the other side and bowl into any heroes they land on, causing 1 damage. If they end their move IN the crevasse, make the Wilhelm scream because they've fallen in!

Thoughts?
Last edited by benvoliothefirst on May 21st, 2018, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Kellar's Keep