• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

A traitor no more?

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Return of the Witch Lord Quest Pack.

A traitor no more?

Postby Jabie » Thursday November 10th, 2022 8:39am

So here's an oddity. In the original version of Return of the Witch Lord. The epilogue text read:

"Indeed, Loretome has shown me that Skulmar, who we believed to be slain, has escaped from the ruins of Kalos with many of the Witch Lord's most powerful spellbooks. He was aided by the traitorous Sir Ragnar who you once rescued from the forces of Chaos but who has now been corrupted by that same influence."

In the new version, the highlighted line has been removed. Which version do you intend to use in your campaigns, heroic Sir Ragnar or traitor Sir Ragnar?
Jabie

Goblin
Goblin

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: A traitor no more?

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » Thursday November 10th, 2022 8:52am

I suspect/hope, and this has been a long discussed and partially implemented plot twist here on the forums, that the line has been removed, not because he isn't a traitor but rather because they don't want to spoil the surprise at that point but leave it open for a future Quest or series of Quests. However that might just be me reading too much in to it combined with a little over-optimism.
Next Quest (Main Group): Finished Original Quest book (now retired, hopefully not permanently?)
Next Quest (App Group): The Fire Mage

HeroQuest Gold - starting with text from the US rulebook and cards, with some rewording for clarity, a couple of sections have been extensively reworked (like "search" and "mind" rules), plus quite a few rules modified to resolve problems
Bareheaded Warrior

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » Thursday November 10th, 2022 9:37am

If I'm not mistaken, Sir Ragnar as a turncloak was only implemented in the European version. In the original North American version no such statement was made.

Although the remake does include Potions and equipment that was originally in the European version and lacking from North America, the overall remake leans toward the ladder with monster body points, quest names, etc. So it's not really surprising that this little tidbit of information wasn't included.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » Thursday November 10th, 2022 3:06pm

Return of the Witch Lord in Europe was released two years before ('89), so some consider that to be THE version. It's just such a curve ball thrown in like an afterthought and because I grew up with the NA edition ('91), I just ignore it since it was never mentioned there (much like I play the evil santa guy as Zargon since he's never identified as Mentor in the edition I played). But if you play the EU edition, he's a gosh darn traitor all right.

The remake follows the NA edition, but it's still your game, so you insert whatever lore you wish when you're running things, I say. Some want to make Sir Ragnar the bad guy in the Dark Company too. That's cool. In my head canon, well I'd be giving too much away if I said it here...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby wallydubbs » Thursday November 10th, 2022 4:12pm

I'd just remove the whole thing about Skullmar, he doesn't appear in any subsequent expansions and can therefore stay dead.

As for Ragnar, leave the memories alone. Keep him good. It might just be a personal preference as an American.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Scout
Scout

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » Thursday November 10th, 2022 6:27pm

wallydubbs wrote:I'd just remove the whole thing about Skullmar, he doesn't appear in any subsequent expansions and can therefore stay dead.

Yet, watch this space...
Next Quest (Main Group): Finished Original Quest book (now retired, hopefully not permanently?)
Next Quest (App Group): The Fire Mage

HeroQuest Gold - starting with text from the US rulebook and cards, with some rewording for clarity, a couple of sections have been extensively reworked (like "search" and "mind" rules), plus quite a few rules modified to resolve problems
Bareheaded Warrior

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

Postby Jabie » Thursday November 10th, 2022 6:32pm

Oh, as far as I'm concerned, Ragnar is a bad guy. And Skulmar... Let's just say I have plans for him too.
Jabie

Goblin
Goblin

Return to Return of the Witch Lord