• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Alternative game play similar to Dungeon!

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Alternative game play similar to Dungeon!

Postby kg8jk » April 13th, 2022, 2:01 pm

I had been thinking about creating a dungeon crawl game of my own but a friend brought HeroQuest to the house a few weeks ago and it was so fun that I made my own extra large board (60" x 40") for playing here with my boys. Anyway, I think I can use the HQ board and cards to play the game I was thinking about before. I am going to use the monster cards from this site along with cards for treasure, traps (made my own cards for those), potions, etc.

The idea is to shuffle the monster cards and put one face down in every room setting aside the rest for wandering monsters. Each player will start in the center room (no monster there). I am going to separate the good effects (spells, potions, etc) into one pile and players will randomly take three cards each. Then I will mix all the remaining good cards with the bad cards and those will go into the treasure pile.

The object of the game is to try and defeat as many monsters as possible until all the rooms have been emptied. When a monster is defeated, the player takes 1 treasure card for each body point the monster had. If the PC loses all their body points, they must return to the center and leave half their treasure card in the room with the monster (for whomever defeats that monster - who regains all body points). The PC loses one turn but then returns to the game with full body points. PCs can regain 2 body points if they enter an empty room and wait for a turn there. PCs can form alliances to attack stronger monsters.

The game ends when all the monsters have been defeated.

Haven't tried it yet but hope to soon. If you give it a try let me know what you think. Basically it is like Dungeon! but not so complicated. I like the HQ board and game mechanics better too.
kg8jk

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Alternative game play similar to Dungeon!

Postby Kurgan » April 13th, 2022, 2:47 pm

Fascinating! I would love to try play-testing this some time.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Alternative game play similar to Dungeon!

Postby StratosVX » April 13th, 2022, 5:50 pm

I liked playing Dungeon when I was a kid. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that it seemed impossible to beat. But that game also has more rooms and some ridiculously hard monsters. I'm a fan of this idea.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member