• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

hQuestBuilder - Browser-based Quest Creation

The secret catacombs where members gather to discuss Quests in progress and contribute to community Quest projects.

hQuestBuilder - Browser-based Quest Creation

Postby squidgem0nster » March 15th, 2022, 10:38 am

Hello Ye Olde Inn Folks

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but after announcing it on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Heroquest/comm ... _creation/

I have created a browser-based quest creation tool for HeroQuest, that may be of interest:

https://www.hquestbuilder.com/

The quests you create are saved to your browser storage, but you can download them/back them up and upload them elsewhere if you wish. It should also play nicely on touch devices, mainly tablet (and even mobile in landscape... at a pinch!).

You can print from your browser too, and save out to PDF using the option within Chrome etc.

I recently added the ability to toggle between the new graphics, EU and US original graphics - and there's a little easter egg to find to have an old school icon for the abomination in the old style maps too!

I'd be curious to hear feedback - there's a brief intro video link when you visit the site, and there's a list of requests/recently released features on the site too.
squidgem0nster

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: hQuestBuilder - Browser-based Quest Creation

Postby Xoxxala » March 15th, 2022, 12:19 pm

I played with this a bit after seeing a post on BGG.

It’s very nice! Kind of shocked how well it worked on my ipad mini. Very usable.

Have bookmarked it and will use it some more. Thanks!
Xoxxala

Zombie
Zombie

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:

Postby squidgem0nster » March 15th, 2022, 1:10 pm

Thanks - I was trying to target a landscape tablet as a good fallback for desktop use - glad it's working well for you.

Pardon my ignorance - but what is BGG?

Thanks again! :)
squidgem0nster

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby Xoxxala » March 15th, 2022, 5:37 pm

BGG == BoardGameGeek

Here’s the link:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/283157 ... eation-app
Xoxxala

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:

Postby lestodante » March 15th, 2022, 7:43 pm

Thank you for the builder.
I found it a bit uncomfortable that I can't drag and drop icons on the map.
US map version features wrong colors.
Font on the exported document are wrong, it would be nice to see the correct font, depending by the region you've selected and possibly the parchment for the quest intro.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby squidgem0nster » March 16th, 2022, 6:56 am

Ahh - Board Game Geek - thanks for letting me know, great to see that it's getting posted elsewhere now.

@lestodante - sorry if you found it uncomfortable! I appreciate that a drag and drop may be a more natural choice, but for touch is can be a bit of a fiddle, and getting things to snap to the grid was a little beyond the scope of what I was trying to achieve with hQuestBuilder. Most have found it's a bit of an adjustment, but once you get the mechanic, things move pretty quickly. Good to get the feedback though.

You're the first person to mention the colours being wrong for the US version. I took the icon-set from HeroScribe's base set of icons... which I took to be stock/accurate. If you could let me know what is incorrect that would be helpful.

Printed exports are still a work in progress - it's a little tricky to get webpages to print nicely at the best of times, so my main focus was on the map - which should print perfectly. Matching the exact styling of the quest book style may well be a bit of an ask given I have to accommodate ANY length of narrative and notes for a given quest. If you look on the Help/Info panel within the app though, print getting more attention is certainly on the list, so I'll see what I can do when I get around to looking at that functionality again :)

Thanks again for the feedback!
squidgem0nster

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby Tott » March 16th, 2022, 8:58 am

Obviously the biggest issue with this is that it wasnt released twenty years ago. aside from that,
Bloody well done! Awesome job! :)

took me a few minutes to figure out how to rotate icons, (click the icon again) but once i did i felt like i should have figured that out sooner.

i think my only wish list would be - would it ever be possible for users to import their own icons?
Tott

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby squidgem0nster » March 16th, 2022, 9:03 am

Ha! Yes - though the web-tech may have been a little less sophisticated then ;)

Yes - there is definitely a plan to add bespoke icons. I'd be curious to know if you'd likely only use single tile bespoke icons (for creatures and traps) or if you'd likely want more sophisticated larger/multi-tile graphics too?

Also - what kind of limit do you think you'd want... or not want, on the number of bespoke icons per quest?
squidgem0nster

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » March 16th, 2022, 12:41 pm

Interesting...!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » March 16th, 2022, 12:43 pm

squidgem0nster wrote:You're the first person to mention the colours being wrong for the US version. I took the icon-set from HeroScribe's base set of icons... which I took to be stock/accurate. If you could let me know what is incorrect that would be helpful.

In your builder, the US map is using the same map from the UK version. Shaded tiles are also a bit different.
Trap icons should be orange, not pink.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Next

Return to Adventurer's Guild