• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HQ roguelike game

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

HQ roguelike game

Postby Zaniri » March 22nd, 2020, 3:17 pm

Hello Ye-olders veterans!

Allow me to introduce myself, I'm a 28 year old dutch guy with a hobby for board and video games like everyone of you.
Ever since I was 8 years old my parents introduced me to HQ, where my 2 older brothers and I would spend a lot of hours together with them trying to get through all the adventures.
I was the Barbarian and it felt really good to swing monsters hard. (using magic is cheats though to be honest, just use your muscles)
I've become quite passionate about pixel art lately and suddenly the idea popped in my head to create something that I haven't seen around here.
A HQ roguelike adventure on PC, recently stoneshard came out and it felt so much like HQ.
Before I get a programmer etc I would like to ask you (or at least those who care) on what you think of this? What's important to you? And would you be against using content from this forum even if I credit it? (because damn you guys have amazing fantasy and minds)

Would love to hear any reaction!

This is a new account but I've been lurking here for the last month reading topics, sadly I can't find a group that actually plays HQ here in the Netherlands though.
Zaniri

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: HQ roguelike game

Postby Lemmeron » March 23rd, 2020, 2:27 am

Welcome Zaniri!

I certainly can't speak for others, but the general feel I have always gotten from being a part of the inn is a common passion for Hero Quest, and sharing it. This includes sharing ideas, resources and seeing it continue to grow. I for one would like to see a good rogue like featuring Hero Quest stuff. I used to play alot of Dungeon Crawl stone soup. And Would love to see a game of that depth with Hero Quest tiles / animations or anything like that.

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Lemmeron

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » March 24th, 2020, 10:23 pm

Everyone on this sight has certain ways of playing the game, as there are so many house rules between players it's actually surprising more fights haven't been started between strong minded people.
That being said, however you get a program like this together, you'd need to find ways for people customize and modify rules without changing it altogether. I think that's part of what everybody loves about this game: we have a standard format to the game that doesn't get ruined between house rules.
The game rules don't take everything into account and admits it may not have all the answers, so players are allowed to use discretion. I don't know how you can simulate that in a progam, but allowing a creative mind to make adjustments to ths game along the way plays a huge part in giving it such a wide following.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Zaniri » March 25th, 2020, 6:55 pm

Thanks for reacting both of you.
Currently I'm writing up a game design plan and make my own art to support it so the progress is just in the early start blocks.
I just love Heroquest and can't believe anyone made a game about it since that game of 1991.
With games around like Stoneshard and many other roguelikes it's the perfect time for a game like this to be created.

@wallydubbs: You bring in a great suggestion. Like age of empires you can set your own rules before starting a game, this could also work for something like this. Do you have a thread somewhere where I can see the variety of rules people created? I only played it according to the rules of the book with my family.

@Lemmeron: same here, 100% exact same reason, I dabbled in realising some crap games and want to get started on a big project like this but the main writing block I'm currently having is the name of Heroquest, it's copyrighted (Though I'm not sure how the rules for that are in Europe) and would need permission from M.B. Co (that's their old name) to make a title like this. I could slightly change the name but would that even be the same? I wonder....

Thanks for giving me your time in replying!
Zaniri

Hero:

Postby Dezziedc » March 25th, 2020, 11:45 pm

Zaniri wrote:Thanks for reacting both of you.
Currently I'm writing up a game design plan and make my own art to support it so the progress is just in the early start blocks.
I just love Heroquest and can't believe anyone made a game about it since that game of 1991.
With games around like Stoneshard and many other roguelikes it's the perfect time for a game like this to be created.

@wallydubbs: You bring in a great suggestion. Like age of empires you can set your own rules before starting a game, this could also work for something like this. Do you have a thread somewhere where I can see the variety of rules people created? I only played it according to the rules of the book with my family.

@Lemmeron: same here, 100% exact same reason, I dabbled in realising some crap games and want to get started on a big project like this but the main writing block I'm currently having is the name of Heroquest, it's copyrighted (Though I'm not sure how the rules for that are in Europe) and would need permission from M.B. Co (that's their old name) to make a title like this. I could slightly change the name but would that even be the same? I wonder....

Thanks for giving me your time in replying!

Hey Zaniri - just thought you'd be interested in seeing my progress. I've asked the same questions and have the same concerns. The link to my thread is here:
http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=165&t=5150

I'm not a great coder, but I might be able to assist in some areas.
Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Postby Zaniri » March 26th, 2020, 10:26 am

@Dezziedc I've read through the whole thread and I have to say it looks amazing, really reminds me of the areas in Hand of Fate. Personally I think this game suits better in a 2d fashion such as Stoneshard plus I'm a terrible 3d artist haha. So I'm not really sure what to tell you because the work you put in is really cool.
Zaniri

Hero:

Postby Dezziedc » March 26th, 2020, 3:51 pm

Zaniri wrote:@Dezziedc I've read through the whole thread and I have to say it looks amazing, really reminds me of the areas in Hand of Fate. Personally I think this game suits better in a 2d fashion such as Stoneshard plus I'm a terrible 3d artist haha. So I'm not really sure what to tell you because the work you put in is really cool.

Thanks mate. It was more just to offer any help I could given my limited coding experience and share some of the info I already had. If there's anything I can do, give me a yell.
Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion