• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Mystery Heroquest Miniature

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Mystery Heroquest Miniature

Postby warlordaxe » Sunday March 22nd, 2020 11:12am

Hey guys so I’ve stumbled onto something that might be interesting hopefully someone has an answer. There is currently a seller on eBay selling a Elf Quest 100% complete expansion for $100 USD nothing new there. As I was looking through the pics the was a extra miniature that stood out of a Minotaur and it’s even on a similar base as the rest of the heroquest miniatures. I asked the seller where he got it and he said it came with the lot when he bought it from someone else, does anyone know where it’s from?

Here’s the link:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/HeroQuest-Elf-Q ... SwfD1edrOO
All life begins with Nu, and ends with Nu...
warlordaxe

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Mystery Heroquest Miniature

Postby Drew » Sunday March 22nd, 2020 1:38pm

The most obvious answer is that it is a custom made mini, cause as you said it even has the same base as HeroQuest so idk if any other game does.
What is really interesting though is that the Minotaur looks A LOT like the one from the sketch from the unreleased Wizard Expansion.
Same pose, same weapons, it's very much alike.
So its possible someone saw that and made a custom mini for it.
This sketch came out in late 2011, so you can ask the seller when he bought that, if it was after 2011 it would be possible for someone to have seen that and made the mini.
Even though it wasn't specified weather the Minotaur was intended for the Dwarf or the Wizard expansion, we can safely assume that it was for the Wizard, since it was heavily influenced by greek mythology, and the Minotaur is greek (im greek too), so I can guarantee that.

more info on the unreleased expansions here:
http://www.tocoking.be/ahq/unreleased.html
Drew

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:

Postby Once was Mortimer » Sunday March 22nd, 2020 2:54pm

Almost looks like the Dark World - Village of Fear minotaur, but not quite.
Once was Mortimer

Mummy
Mummy

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » Sunday March 22nd, 2020 5:20pm

It’s a “Beastlord”.
I’m not sure, but I believe it’s from a range of 3D printed models designed to go with the Mound of the Beastmen HQ expansion designed by Pan. That one is a beastman boss, or beastlord.

Stick “Heroquest - Beastlord Thingiverse” into a google Image search, and you should see it.

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » Sunday March 22nd, 2020 6:01pm

Well that's interesting... Kueker did meantion a Minotaur meant for the Wizard quest pack, but he never showed me a picture of it. Though the picture Pancho showed does look like his style.

I notice on the Ebay pictures that the Female Elf and the Minotaur are made of a slightly different color then the rest of them, they're more of a grayish cast then a light blue. The Ogre is of a dark Blue mold, which was normal, as the mold was taken from Against the Ogre Horde. But generally the Female Elf is supposed to be the same moldcast as the Elven Warriors, Archers, Giant Wolves and Sinestra.

Wherever the Minotair and Female Elf came from they're not from that particular box. The pictures even include the punched moldlines that these figurines came from (their umbilical cords, so to speak).
When the expansion was complete people who worked on the project were given a free copy.
Some of the people who worked on the Elf Quest pack also had a hand in the Wizard's Quest Pack. Donald Kueker was involved in both but he was only given a copy of Elf Quest Pack. I suppose this would mean only limited Wizard Quest packs were made before the idea was scrapped.
I'd guess that that particular Female Elf and the Minotaur are prototypes that somehow got mingled into that box from one of the people that worked on the project.

Thanks for sharing the link, I'm gonna see if I talk to the seller and find out where the person he got it from got it from.
wallydubbs

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Postby Pancho » Monday March 23rd, 2020 1:38am

I would love it if that were true Wallydubs, but there is another explanation here.

Check out this link https://www.thingiverse.com/MrMan2k7/co ... e-beastmen

Somebody has created a whole host of minis to 3D print to go with Pan’s Mound of the Beastmen (a fan-made expansion). They’ve used parts of HQ and Battlemasters minis, and old school Warhammer fantasy, to create amalgamation designs for new creatures. It’s pretty clever really, as it makes them look like original HQ figures. And it’s not just Beastmen, there are many other HQ pages there for orc archers, Grak, giant rats etc. The Female Elf is there too, and the Chaos Hounds in Pan’s pack, have been created using the Giant Wolves from EQP as a starting point.

If I had a 3D printer it would be super busy right now, I can tell you!!! The suit of Borin’s armour is especially cool.

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » Monday March 23rd, 2020 2:17am

The Beastlord looks like it might be a combo of the Battlemasters Beastman and the HQ Gargoyle, maybe with the Frozen Horror’s axe?

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » Monday March 23rd, 2020 1:39pm

Pancho wrote:I would love it if that were true Wallydubs, but there is another explanation here.

Check out this link https://www.thingiverse.com/MrMan2k7/co ... e-beastmen

Somebody has created a whole host of minis to 3D print to go with Pan’s Mound of the Beastmen (a fan-made expansion). They’ve used parts of HQ and Battlemasters minis, and old school Warhammer fantasy, to create amalgamation designs for new creatures. It’s pretty clever really, as it makes them look like original HQ figures. And it’s not just Beastmen, there are many other HQ pages there for orc archers, Grak, giant rats etc. The Female Elf is there too, and the Chaos Hounds in Pan’s pack, have been created using the Giant Wolves from EQP as a starting point.

If I had a 3D printer it would be super busy right now, I can tell you!!! The suit of Borin’s armour is especially cool.

Yeah, Pancho you're right. I contacted the seller and he pretty much confirmed that much like the Female Elf in this set, it's made from Resin by a previous owner. So it's not authentic, but still a creative figurine piece.
wallydubbs

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Postby cornixt » Monday March 23rd, 2020 1:53pm

I'm pretty sure it is a 3D print, along with the female elf next to it. The other figures seem to be regular plastics though.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » Tuesday March 24th, 2020 3:02pm

Whatch out!! Both the female Elf and that minotaur are 3D printed figures, not original at all and with a clear lack of details. Also Sinestra (the Archmage) seems to have some defects, it is possible another 3D print or it was paint stripped with some acid that damaged the plastic.
Not worth more than 300/400 in my opinion.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion