• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[POLL] chose monsters to create new quests

The secret catacombs where members gather to discuss Quests in progress and contribute to community Quest projects.

Do you mix Undeads and Greenskins in your maps?

No, Zombies can't live together with Orcs!
21%
All kind of monsters can party together in the same room.
21%
Ok, but only in certain areas of the map.
57%

Total votes : 14

[POLL] chose monsters to create new quests

Postby lestodante » January 12th, 2020, 11:16 am

How do you chose the monsters when creating a new quest?
Personally I think that monsters should be divided depending by genre.
Greenskins are Goblins, Orcs and Fimirs.
Undeads are Skeletons, Zombies and Mummies.
Chaos Army are Chaos Warriors, Chaos Sorcerers and Gargoyles.
This is probably a very basic rule but I prefer to fullfill my maps by selecting monsters per typology. So I will not mix in the same room a couple of Orcs and a couple of Zombies.
At least I can dedicate some parts of the map to a different genre of monster but usually a quest is greenskins oriented or undead oriented. Then the Chaos figures can stand together with both races as they are some kind of magical figures in my opinion.
But I see that in Barbarian and Elf Quest pack they started to mix any kind of monster together in a single room, while in the previous expansions they were following the rule I told before.
What do you think is more correct?
Last edited by lestodante on August 26th, 2020, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: [POLL] chose monsters to creae new quests

Postby runnar » January 16th, 2020, 12:43 am

I think it depends on the theme of the quest. A quest with an orc necromancer boss can have bot greenskins and undead together.
runnar

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: Português (Brasil)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Postby lestodante » January 17th, 2020, 1:39 pm

yes, this is some kind of exception. Because it's ok that a Sorcerer (human or orc) can conjure and control undeads.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Thor-in » January 17th, 2020, 4:07 pm

I normally keep them separate, however there will always be one or two quest that you have to mix them.

I did a prison quest awhile back that had a bunch of undead after the main part of the quest was done.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » January 17th, 2020, 7:13 pm

but usually not in the same room, right?

Rewards:
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Thor-in » January 23rd, 2020, 8:16 am

lestodante wrote:but usually not in the same room, right?

No, I didn't have them in the same room. I had all green-skins and other monsters in the beginning of the quest. Then once the main goal was completed, all the "dead bodies" of the prisoners came to life.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » January 23rd, 2020, 11:30 am

I think it depends on the theme. I typically do not have undead in the same room with others unless
there is a character controlling all of them. I usually think of creatures in a hierarchy.

Chaos warriors typically are at the top, and would be in charge of any other creatures nearby.
Firmir are next in line, then orcs, and goblins at the bottom.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » August 26th, 2020, 7:31 am

I don't think Greenskins and Undead should be allowed to coincidence unless there's a necromancer that can control the undead.
Chaos Warriors and the Gargoyle are a bit different, though. They're not greenskins nor undead, but I think they should be able to work along side the others. The Grey figurines are more boss-like and seem to be directing the enemy forces.
We don't particularly know where the Chaos Warriors come from or what's under those helmets, so it's not impossible, perhaps through some magic, that the undead don't recognize creatures from the realm of Chaos.

The Elf Quest Pack seems to a make a mess in regards to this, as undead are frequently featured in the same room with greenskins and Giant Wolves. But whenever playing the EQP I reserve the Rite of Zargon to alter such scenarios.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: [POLL] chose monsters to create new quests

Postby laukiaerkko » November 12th, 2020, 2:51 am

I agree that in these very thematic games there should always be a big respect for the theme and never should you mix for example animals and ogres. Ogres will eat the animals.

Whatever you are planning it should make thematic sense.

Good luck
laukiaerkko

Skeleton
Skeleton

Re: [POLL] chose monsters to create new quests

Postby Oftkilted » November 12th, 2020, 2:36 pm

Who is to say that the zombies aren’t Orc zombies? Or that the mummies aren’t Orc mummies?
Oftkilted

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Return to Adventurer's Guild