• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Question about the picture on the back of the box.

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Question about the picture on the back of the box.

Postby old_skaven » Saturday January 11th, 2020 6:43am

Hello everyone , When I was kid Ive got the Heroquest box and Ive noticed differences about some designs,the (plastic?) minis of course but also the doors, throne etc, now that fans are digging the game and its detail since a long time, did anyone got more infos about this unreleased version ?

I personally like the design of the unreleased throne better.
The released version of the board looks better.

Last edited by old_skaven on Friday January 24th, 2020 8:09am, edited 1 time in total.
old_skaven

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Question about the picture on the back of the box.

Postby lestodante » Saturday January 11th, 2020 2:12pm

yeah, the box shows the game prototypes. Also the TV spot was using the same prototypes.
So the miniatures were made of metal instead of plastic and many other details were still under development (cards, furnitures and all the rest). Also check teh Barbarian character's sheet, it shows a totally different artwork!
You can see better pictures of the prototype miniatures looking at the borders of the bottom box: the painted figures you see are all metal prototypes. They are unreleased miniatures but occasionally they appear on ebay at very high price.
The original figures are secured by Brian Ansell (Citadel Miniatures founder) in a glass cabinet at Wargames Foundry.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby runnar » Sunday January 12th, 2020 8:56pm

lestodante wrote:yeah, the box shows the game prototypes. Also the TV spot was using the same prototypes.
So the miniatures were made of metal instead of plastic and many other details were still under development (cards, furnitures and all the rest). Also check teh Barbarian character's sheet, it shows a totally different artwork!
You can see better pictures of the prototype miniatures looking at the borders of the bottom box: the painted figures you see are all metal prototypes. They are unreleased miniatures but occasionally they appear on ebay at very high price.
The original figures are secured by Brian Ansell (Citadel Miniatures founder) in a glass cabinet at Wargames Foundry.

What a cool piece of trivia! I really don't know about this!

In my country the game don't have any true miniatures at all, only paper miniatures. :cry:
runnar

Orc
Orc

Forum Language: Português (Brasil)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Postby Pancho » Monday January 13th, 2020 3:55am

To be honest I think the released miniatures were better than the prototypes, in pretty much every case.
That said, I’d give anything to have the prototypes. It’s funny how that works.

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Ogre
Ogre

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » Monday January 13th, 2020 1:23pm

it's a matter of taste...
I've hunted this figures for years and got few of them and have to say that some of them I prefer the plastic version. Especially the Orcs are more tiny than the plastic models, so I prefer the released ones.
Other like the mummy have really minimal differences but what I like the most is the metal Fimir because is more muscular and looks very huge.
About the Chaos Sorcerer and the Dwarf I prefer the plastic model again, while for the other 3 Heroes, I like the Barbarian a lot, and the Elf is way more beautiful in metal in my opinion, while the Wizard I don't know, I should see it closely, in the pictures I've seen he looks very tiny and slim when you look him by the side.
But even so, I would really be happy having the 4 Heroes and the Fimir. All the others are better to be replaced by the classic plastic models in my opinion.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby old_skaven » Friday January 24th, 2020 8:39am

lestodante wrote:it's a matter of taste...
I've hunted this figures for years and got few of them and have to say that some of them I prefer the plastic version. Especially the Orcs are more tiny than the plastic models, so I prefer the released ones.
Other like the mummy have really minimal differences but what I like the most is the metal Fimir because is more muscular and looks very huge.
About the Chaos Sorcerer and the Dwarf I prefer the plastic model again, while for the other 3 Heroes, I like the Barbarian a lot, and the Elf is way more beautiful in metal in my opinion, while the Wizard I don't know, I should see it closely, in the pictures I've seen he looks very tiny and slim when you look him by the side.
But even so, I would really be happy having the 4 Heroes and the Fimir. All the others are better to be replaced by the classic plastic models in my opinion.

I hear you, i've hunted down the metal advanced Heroquest skaven model for years, but no luck so far.
I prefer the metal :fimir: :chaoswarrior: :barbarian: :skeleton: personally.
old_skaven

Postby lestodante » Friday January 24th, 2020 1:56pm

old_skaven wrote:
I hear you, i've hunted down the metal advanced Heroquest skaven model for years, but no luck so far.
I prefer the metal :fimir: :chaoswarrior: :barbarian: :skeleton: personally.

I've seen it a couple of times on ebay. But I don't own this model.

Rewards:
lestodante

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion