• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Need some help

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Need some help

Postby Hendar23 » November 23rd, 2019, 5:19 am

Hi folks

I'm creating a sort of 'ultimate' compendium of all the official content. When finished I will release in docx format so the community can use it as a basis for their own homebrew.

Latest version:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6uoyn2tdtekz0 ... 0.pdf?dl=0

It is complete! I'm looking to get it printed in hard back. Hopefully no big errors left :)
Last edited by Hendar23 on May 3rd, 2020, 11:24 am, edited 7 times in total.
Hendar23

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Need some help

Postby lestodante » November 23rd, 2019, 3:11 pm

Amazing work, but for sure I will not go reading all 106 pages of this document.
But since you used the European layout, wich is my favourite, why not to use the correct font for the quest titles, GAZE?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Pancho » November 23rd, 2019, 4:53 pm

This is excellent work. It looks like a great deal of effort and love for this game went into this project.

I have a few suggestions if you don’t mind.

- like Lestodante said, use the Gaze font if you can, it will greatly improve the feel.
- Frozen Horror should come after Mage of The Mirror, as it’s a more difficult quest.
- Consider letting the Dark Company defend on white shields rather than the single black shield defends all rule; some people who have played this pack report that the official rule is just annoying.
- have you play tested the body point increases for the bosses? It seems as if you have gone for 4 or 5 body points for the majority of named villains. I think this is a good call, but just wondering if it comes from experience or just intuition? I’m struggling to get my own bosses just right at the moment, and keep changing my mind.
A few suggested alterations;
- 5 BP for Ulag might be a bit too high considering he’s the first that the Heroes meet. Maybe 4 instead?
- 12 BP for the Guardian of Grins Crag :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: . I think I see what your aim here is, but he’s not in line with anything else in your whole work. I wouldn’t go higher than 10.
- 5 BP for the Ogre Lord is too low. No more than Ulag as it stands. Maybe 5 for a Champion, 6 for Chieftain & 7 for the Lord.
- 5BP for the Frozen Horror is also a bit wimpy, considering he supposed to be a real beast of a boss. I’d go with 8.

I could write more but I’m gonna stop there. Have you read through these forums? There’s a mountain of incredible info available. I’d definitely recommend reading through the sub-forums for each of the expansions, as there are lots of subtle yet effective changes that make all of the packs into a better experience in my opinion. It all depends on how “pure” you want your compendium to be really.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Hendar23 » November 24th, 2019, 4:35 am

lestodante wrote:Amazing work, but for sure I will not go reading all 106 pages of this document.

Yeah I'm not expecting anyone read the whole thing that would be mad! (But, y'know, if anyone out there wants to...) I'm just hoping people might notice stuff as they are flipping through it.

lestodante wrote:But since you used the European layout, wich is my favourite, why not to use the correct font for the quest titles, GAZE?

:shock: It never even occured to be that it would be available! I'l look into that for sure.
Last edited by Hendar23 on November 24th, 2019, 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hendar23

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Hendar23 » November 24th, 2019, 4:42 am

Pancho wrote:This is excellent work. It looks like a great deal of effort and love for this game went into this project.

I have a few suggestions if you don’t mind.

- like Lestodante said, use the Gaze font if you can, it will greatly improve the feel.
- Frozen Horror should come after Mage of The Mirror, as it’s a more difficult quest.
- Consider letting the Dark Company defend on white shields rather than the single black shield defends all rule; some people who have played this pack report that the official rule is just annoying.
- have you play tested the body point increases for the bosses? It seems as if you have gone for 4 or 5 body points for the majority of named villains. I think this is a good call, but just wondering if it comes from experience or just intuition? I’m struggling to get my own bosses just right at the moment, and keep changing my mind.
A few suggested alterations;
- 5 BP for Ulag might be a bit too high considering he’s the first that the Heroes meet. Maybe 4 instead?
- 12 BP for the Guardian of Grins Crag :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: . I think I see what your aim here is, but he’s not in line with anything else in your whole work. I wouldn’t go higher than 10.
- 5 BP for the Ogre Lord is too low. No more than Ulag as it stands. Maybe 5 for a Champion, 6 for Chieftain & 7 for the Lord.
- 5BP for the Frozen Horror is also a bit wimpy, considering he supposed to be a real beast of a boss. I’d go with 8.

I could write more but I’m gonna stop there. Have you read through these forums? There’s a mountain of incredible info available. I’d definitely recommend reading through the sub-forums for each of the expansions, as there are lots of subtle yet effective changes that make all of the packs into a better experience in my opinion. It all depends on how “pure” you want your compendium to be really.

Thanks for the feedback! I put FH before MotM because that was the release order...maybe I should change that then...and I'll look at the Black Shield thing for DC. I've never played it myself my group are way behind it, we might have to give it a go soon.

For the BB we have playtested them for most of the base campaign and they feel about right. We had Ulag with 3bp and he was killed in one turn without getting to attack. We playtested him with 6 and I've turned it down to 5 just becuase like you say he is an early boss.

12 BP for the Guardian.....oops forgot I'd done that! My players were steamrolling bosses at that point I think! I'll tone him down for sure!

I know what you mean about the Orges and Frozen Horror....I was looking for suggestions as have not had chance to play it yet.

Oh and the font like I said above looking into that right now!

Thanks for the help, this is exactly what I'm looking for.
Hendar23

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Pancho » November 24th, 2019, 8:56 am

No problem. I played Grak with 3BP a few weeks ago and he also died without getting to do anything.
I think 5BP is about right then for these “lesser” bosses. The greater bosses such as Ogre Lord and Frozen Horror should have about 8BP or even more.
Last edited by Pancho on November 24th, 2019, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » November 24th, 2019, 11:35 am

Problem of bosses killed with 1 hit is recurent. I proposed before the rule that every final boss can't suffer more than 1 (or at least 2) BP for each attack, even if a hero rolls 10 skulls.
They are BOSSES, so they must be very hard to kill.
And yes, agree with every suggestions posted by Pancho.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 25th, 2019, 9:33 am

Hey Hender, I'd like to be of some help when it comes to the Barbarian and Elf quest packs. Anderas and myself have both put up suggestions on how to fix the broken solo quests of the Barbarian quest pack. He prefers the approach to adding mercenaries, I insert various potions and add rewards. Feel free to message me about it or check out some of these for Frozen Horror:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4452
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4474
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2977
For Mage of the Mirror:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4420
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4421

I don't think it would be a bad idea to add a 5th hero to these quests. Considering their difficulty; I've tried making the solo quests survivable for a base Female Barbarian and Elf respectively. Since the figurines accompany the quest pack it seems reasonable to let them in on the action.

I'll try proofreading what you have when I get the time.

Also, might I suggest using some low grade spells for Ulag, such as Summon Orcs (WoM version, Summon Goblins, Orc Bezerk and Soothe (Frozen Horror).

I agree on the White Shield thing for Dark Company.

Also you'll notice in Mage of the Mirror, some of the artifacts are quite redundant. Heroes don't lose mind points very often in this quest pack and therefore have no need of the Sky Orb. Have you thought about passing this artifact back to a previous quest pack? It would be more useful when dealing with Chaos Sorcerers who have the Mind Blast tokens in Against the Ogre Horde.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Pancho » November 25th, 2019, 10:11 am

It all depends on whether the Elf and the Barbarian are brand new Heroes. If they are, then they are going to die in the solo quests.
I know that these expansions state that they are intended for new Heroes, but if played by a solo Barbarian or Elf that has completed the preceding packs and are therefore tooled up, then the solo bit is perfectly survivable.

Considering that this is a Compendium of official quests, but not a pure copy of all the material in the packs (Hendar has included the story introductions but not the new rules for each pack), then I would just suggest that the "new elf" or "new barbarian" rules are completely ignored. In the compendium the US packs come immediately after Wizards of Morcar, so why not just use the Elf and Barbarian that emerged from that adventure?

If I absolutely had to play FH and MOTM with brand new Heroes, i.e. if Morcar held a gun to my head, I think I would prefer to use the Wallydubs approach of extra potions and rewards, rather than adding in mercenaries and extra Heroes. It is supposed to be a solo adventure after all.

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Pancho » November 25th, 2019, 10:18 am

Hendar, I had another thought on this.
Did you consciously decide not to include the other official & semi-official quests in your Compendium, like the Halls of Durrag Dol and the Eyes of Chaos?

I know it would be a lot of extra work for you, but it might be nice to have these interspersed in between the expansions.

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion