• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Add 1d6 to your att\def

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Add 1d6 to your att\def

Postby burglekutt » November 8th, 2019, 8:46 pm

Not sure if it's been discussed, but how about rolling a 1d6 in addition to your attack or deffence?

By rolling a 6 it could act as an additional point of damage, allow you to reroll one BShield on an Att or Def roll...maybe allow you to loan out an Att or Def to an adjacent hero (by pretending you assisted that hero on his future turn for that particular enemy).
or allow an adjacent hero to reroll a single BShield on an Attack or Defence roll(pretending you assisted in his attack or Defense.) Or other things I'm not even thinking about. A not so often bonus that pops up to cheer up your players.

Instead of Attack & Defence options, it could do something less OP, like pushing an enemy away from you one square wether that be diagonal or not & no matter if you injured them or not during your attack. Maybe even allows you to switch places with an adjacent hero...or push past a single enemy to a square behind him if so desired.

I see it making "Movement" options more available since many times a player can do almost nothing sometimes. Why not allow players to roll a 1D6 EVERY turn to see if they can do something besides Attack when in combat.
Of course we'd want to come up with a small list of what you can do when a 6 is rolled.
I've noticed ppl trying to find ways to Buff items & thought maybe this could be added.

Let me know what you think, thanks!
Last edited by burglekutt on August 11th, 2020, 12:17 pm, edited 9 times in total.
burglekutt

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Add 1d6 to your att\def

Postby Anderas » November 9th, 2019, 2:33 am

I don't get it

What does it to? Trigger a special ability? For me the question is then: How to you choose the ability and how to you level up to the next die roll?

By the way (off topic) I put your posting into the gpt2 transformer and it opined that your text should be completed like this. Bold text comes from you.

When defending you could "loan" out a defence Die to an adjacent Hero.
Basically any number of our normal small powered ideas we had that a character could use. It has to be something very weak but useful.

I'd like to add more, but for now I'd like to have this idea in the game.

I need to know how the dice roll when using it to "borrow" the defence die from another Hero, is that all or is it some other mechanic?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby burglekutt » November 25th, 2019, 6:26 pm

Forget the leveling thing, it would just complicate it. But rolling a D6 with your normal Attack or defense could add an effect that gives you something or takes something away from your enemy.
burglekutt

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby burglekutt » June 4th, 2020, 5:03 pm

I re edited my post to make more sense. Would love your opinions on it!

My problems with the idea are that if it is allowed for every Att & Def roll, then perhaps it is to OP & might need to be relegated to just a single magical item that has that benefit.

Or maybe it works on just your Attacks or just on you Defense. Maybe only usable two times per room, idk.
burglekutt

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » June 5th, 2020, 1:30 am

For Space Crusade I once had house ruled that the attacker gets one white die more for every friendly figure which is standing adjacent to the same enemy, and that is willing to give up his own attack.

That worked for both sides. So 5 Space Marines teaming up on one Dreadnought worked, 3 gretchins teaming up with one android on that pesky commander worked, too.

You could prevent that by putting one of your own models adjacent to each enemy model - we said back then, if you're loaded with your own enemy, you are occupied and can't help your friend, effectively negating the bonus. That led to some rugby-like situations; when the Space Marines couldn't clear out the monsters fast enough, the monsters were teaming, then the Spacies were forced to team up, too, in pure self defense, with commanders at the flank. Next game, the Space Marine player was replacing one of the Space Marine Teams with a Scout team - more models on the board, more bonus. Well, that escalated a bit. But it was fun, at least we were playing space crusade a few times then.
It was really great fun when everybody was teaming up for close combat and then someone fired one of the big weapons. haha. :D

Ok, here's the real issue I see: a Hero and 3 scouts mobbing the dungeon boss, ok, I can factor in that new rule and put a bigger dungeon boss.
But then, Witch Lord expansion, The forgotten Legion for example: One Mummy teaming up with 3 Skeletons, oh la la, that's deadly for the hero.

Your idea is rather, if models team up and stand adjacent to friends, they may roll d6 and trigger some additional defense or attack. The main difference is, it is not automatic but you have to roll a die. I could imagine both, defense and attack bonuses. But then you need space on the board for formations, most rooms are too small for that.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Stig » June 5th, 2020, 3:12 am

Anderas wrote:For Space Crusade I once had house ruled that the attacker gets one white die more for every friendly figure which is standing adjacent to the same enemy...You could prevent that by putting one of your own models adjacent to each enemy model

This is exactly how blood bowl works. Can’t recommend the game highly enough! The strong races function by having more dice to roll in attack and access to the “Guard” skill, which allows for buffing adjacent teammates even whilst adjacent to the enemy; agile races have superior movement allowing them to run away!

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Stig » June 5th, 2020, 4:04 am

Josh wrote:Not sure if it's been discussed, but how about rolling a 1d6 in addition to your attack or deffence?

I think this is a great idea as it
-doesn't slow the game down
-doesn't require arithmetic, ie it's not like a modifier

I use this with a defensive skill called "evade" (taken from WHQ) where if a 6 is rolled the hero can move to an an adjacent square (if available) to avoid all damage

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » June 5th, 2020, 7:44 am

To make this kind of ability work in my set, I added abilities that allow a certain number of skulls to be re-rolled in defence, of a certain number of friendly shields to be re-rolled in attack. Thgis then means you;re only worrying about combat dice.

I deliberately had no method of re-rolling enemy shields however, which does interesting things with probability when using the German dice...

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » June 5th, 2020, 8:55 am

Kinda sounds like you are looking to make a proficiency skill with weapons to me or at least that is how I'm reading this.

So say the barbarian is proficient with the broad sword which has 3 white dice for attack, instead the barbarian would get 3 white dice plus 1d6 every time they attack? Yes, no maybe?

I like the idea but I wouldn't use a d6, you would have a 1 in 6 chance of always doing a "critical" hit with adding a chance for another white die. I would use something else like a d12 and only getting the extra die when you roll an 12. Which is pushing things into D&D mode more then HQ, but it could work.

How though would you do a leveling up part to make the Hero proficient in a attack or defense?
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Stig » June 5th, 2020, 9:41 am

Thor-in wrote: How though would you do a leveling up part to make the Hero proficient in a attack or defense?

I'm putting together a system for this in my homebrew. When you have enough XP you roll 1D6 to determine which skill you get. Here's the card for the Barbarian, which has the skill table on the back face:

Barbarian Front.png
Barbarian Back.png

XP is awarded for completing a Quest, recovering an artifict, or killing a named monster. Having 3 different possible skills at each level means they don't always level up in the same way, but still level up in an appropriate way for the character
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion