• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Outdoor Quests and "See"

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Outdoor Quests and "See"

Postby Lowery_79 » November 8th, 2019, 8:35 pm

Ok back at home.

Here is something I posted before about mounted combat and I would like your guys thoughts on it. I know a few of the things that were brought up in that post have already been talked bout buy you guys and I feel we're on the same page. For example giving some mounted units two attacks.

viewtopic.php?f=143&t=4882

In our discussion above we have also talked about quests that take place outside. Here are some of the things I had been throwing around on this idea. There are a few scenarios that make up these ideas.

For the quest I wanted to make, I was thinking of using a big green mat with squares for the heroes to use to move like the main board uses. This one was quickly made using scraps of old green board drywall that I had. It is 69 spaces or squares long x 52 spaces or squares wide. I have placed a few items on the mat that will be explained as I go through this post. For starters I put the Overground starting tile from Against the Ogre Horde at the bottom left corner of the mat where all heroes will start. The Barbarian, Wizard and the Dwarf are place here for now. The Elf is further out on the battle field, maybe in this quest he had a head start over the other heroes. I would say from this point all 4 heroes should be able to see the castle ( Heroquest board) at the top right of the mat. The balcony connected to the castle is a downloaded tile from Ron Shirtz' at this site http://english.yeoldeinn.com/tiles-shirtz-terrain.php All the heroes for a standard move roll 2 red 6 sided dice, that means that the maximum number any of them can roll at anytime is 12 space at a time.

Scenario One

From the starting tile how far away can the 3 heroes there see? Straight ahead 40 spaces there are 3 knights on horse back, 11 spaces beyond them is a red dragon.

Clockwise to the right is the castle 40 spaces away. Between the 3 heroes at the starting tile and the castle, the Elf hero sits 14 spaces away from them. Can the 3 heroes at the starting tile see him? 11 spaces after the Elf there is a wolf rider leader leading an attack on the Elf, followed by another wolf rider 5 spaces behind his leader. Do the 3 heroes at the starting tile see the wolf riders? Moving again to the right 33 spaces away from the 3 heroes at the starting tile is a gargoyle beast taking flight from the balcony of the castle. Remember the balcony is also up in the air. Below the balcony is 2 ogres, remember they are 42 spaces away from the 3 heroes at the starting tile. Do the three heroes see the gargoyle beast and the ogres?

Lastly there are 2 orc boar boyz opposite the 3 heroes at the starting tile. The orc boar boyz are 37 spaces away at the right bottom corner of the mat. 1 of the orc boar boyz is mounted on his boar, the other ones boar has been killed. Do the 3 heroes at the starting tile see the orc boar boyz?

Scenario Two

From the Elves point of view I think he should see the castle to his right like the other three heroes. I also think he should be able to see the 2 wolf riders, they are only 12 spaces away from him. They would be the first that could attack the Elf.

Now from the Elves view point to the top left of the mat can he see the 3 knights on horse back 27 spaces away from him? Should he be able to see the red dragon 11 spaces behind the 3 knights on horse back?

Shifting back to the right can the Elf see the gargoyle beast on the balcony 21 spaces away, plus remember the balcony is also up in the air. Should the Elf be able to see the 2 ogres on the ground beneath the balcony? They are 27 spaces away from the Elf.

Not for getting about the 2 orc boar boyz to the Elves right, 23 spaces away would he be able to see them?
Or does it seem like I'm over thinking this whole idea in which this third Scenario might be best.

This Scenario is based off the “personal halo” idea found at this site: https://evilwizardcharacter.wordpress.com/

Basically the term “Personal Halo” means the heroes can only see 8 spaces surrounding him in each direction. This idea comes into play when the heroes find themselves in dark caves where a torch or lantern have to me used to see. But applied to the ideas I have been talking about in this email it would be changed as thus.
Due to the maximum number any Hero can roll at anytime is 12 spaces. Then this would become their
line of sight (or “Personal Halo”) on a large field map like I am purposing. This new line of sight would work like this:

From the Elves perspective he can only see 12 spaces surrounding him in each direction. So being that the first wolf rider is 12 spaces away from him. The elf could see him but not the second one behind the leading wolf rider. But because the second wolf rider can see that his leader spots something he can act like he sees something to help hi leader attack it. This would work the same for a hero party if they are in a group like the 3 heroes at the starting tile. unfortunately the Elf is to far away from his party so no one can see him or know what he is up against. Because of the size a castle is all heroes on the mat can see the castle and the balcony but maybe they can't see the (Open file named whole mat) entrance to the castle or any monster on or around is until they get close enough to it where there “Personal Halo” falls on it. This means because it's out of the Elves sight he could not see the knights on horse back, the red dragon, gargoyle beast, ogres or orc boar boyz and none of them should be placed on the mat until they enter one of the heroes
“Personal Halo”. Being that 4 heroes are being played in this Scenario they would all 4 be placed on the mat but that does not mean that the elf could see his companions or that they could he them or see what each other sees.

Sorry this post became so long but if you guys can clear up some of these thoughts or questions that would be great.
Last edited by Daedalus on May 3rd, 2021, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: split topic from General Heroquest Discussion room
Lowery_79

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Hobgoblin Stats

Postby j_dean80 » November 8th, 2019, 9:28 pm

Your easiest solution would be to break up line of sight with some vegetation. As far as your scenario, 12 spaces is not very accurate especially considering long corridors in the dungeon.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Hobgoblin Stats

Postby The Admiral » November 9th, 2019, 7:21 am

Seems like you have some great ideas there, and a whole area to develop. I don't go in for large outside boards and avoid quests where these are used, except for small exceptions such as the pic above. I really just like the basic board. So good luck with your project, but I'll respectfully bow out |_P

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Rules