• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Cold Halls Coffin Treasures

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Return of the Witch Lord Quest Pack.

Cold Halls Coffin Treasures

Postby wallydubbs » October 18th, 2019, 7:59 pm

As much as I like the potential for a hero to lose Borin's Armor and Orc's Bane in this quest; I feel the Spirit Riders are overall irrelevant to the completion of this quest. The stairway is in the middle room through a secret door, which the heroes can potentially find without even encountering the Spirit Riders.

These Spirit Riders, to me, are likened to the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse: Death, Famine, Pestilence and War. I'd really like to make it mandatory for the heroes to fight at least some of them. So whenever... if ever, my group gets to this quest I'd like to make some editions:
First off, there will not be a secret door leading to the center room, I intend to us the exit door, put it around the corner, leading to the middle roo, but have it locked. The key will be inside one of the Spirit Riders' coffins.

When my group plays treasure chests need to be searched separate in rooms. Rooms are granted a single search, unless there's a Treasure chest, which always has a specific item or amount of gold in it. I'd like to apply the same additional search to coffins. In fact, the introduction to the coffins in the quest book reads: "The 4 coffins may be used as tombs. They may contain an undead creature and/or a Treasure. They may also have traps on them."
In the case of the Cold Halls I'm wanting to hide the key to the exit door (which leads to the room with the Spiral Staircase) in one of them. But I'm thinking each coffin should have something of note in them.

One coffin will have the key. I'm thinking filling another one with poisonous spiders that spread across the room once it's opened and anyone in the room at Zargon's turn rolls combat dice for damage (might as well since Venom Antidotes are in the Alchemist shop). I'm also thinking of adding another Potion of Mystery, much like the one from Quest 7 Stone Hunter/Lost Wizard in the game system, but I'm not sure what the effects should be, any suggestions?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Cold Halls Coffin Treasures

Postby Maurice76 » October 21st, 2019, 10:02 am

If you want to make a reference to the four riders of the Apocalypse, you could give each a special effect or ability, or do something within the respective room, that hints at their specialty.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » October 21st, 2019, 10:57 am

Or put their dead horses in with them, like some of the Kings and Khans of old did. And when you open the door to the room, the skeletal horses attack too.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » October 21st, 2019, 5:20 pm

I was more so looking for ideas to subtly reference the 4 Horsemen by certain Treasure searches of each coffin.
Death, Famine, Pestilence and War
A Potion of Mystery found in Death's coffin, when drank, reduces the heroes body points to 1, but all undead during that quest (whichever quest he drinks it) will not attack that hero.
Search the coffin of Pestilence and a colony of venomous spiders spread across the room attacking all heroes in the room for 3 combat dice.
War's coffin could have a battle Axe or Broadsword, something to symbolize war.
What could I use to symbolize Famine?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » October 21st, 2019, 10:06 pm

Take away all remaining water spells.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Return of the Witch Lord