• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Matt Varnish and Decal Paper

Tips and tricks for painting miniatures and anything else.

Matt Varnish and Decal Paper

Postby Flacktron » October 15th, 2019, 5:56 pm

Hello all. Its been a while so sorry if this has ever been a topic before.

I've been painting a wide range of models as of late from Hero Quest, Space Marines to Corinthian Footballers. I've started using water slide decal paper to create my own decals. As I only have an inkjet printer I have to seal the images before I dip them in water to remove the backing paper. To seal the images I've been using Testors Dullcote, which is what I also use to give a layer of protection to the figure at the end. For the last few months, no matter what sort of precautions I've been using (mask, spraying outside etc), the Testors Dullcote spray has really been irritating my throat so I'm searching for a different product to use. Are there any that could be used to seal the waterslide decal paper and at the end to give a layer of protection to the figure, that aren't as full of chemicals and a little better for human use?

Thanks in advance for any help given

Flacktron
Flacktron

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Matt Varnish and Decal Paper

Postby Stig » October 16th, 2019, 3:53 am

How about you paint the varnish on? You can buy bottles of varnish just like paint pots, and I imagine there won't be that much to paint as decals tend to be pretty small.

Or wear a mask and spray outside taking more precautions etc

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby KrautScientist » October 16th, 2019, 7:43 am

I was going to suggest varnishing by brush as well, even though it's probably far less convenient. I regularly use Vallejo's Matte Varnish which works great (although I've never used it to seal custom made decals, to be fair). I think any spray can will always end up having more of the ingredients that seem to irritate your throat, since most of the irritants are probably exactly the substances that make the spray can work in the first place...

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby Flacktron » October 16th, 2019, 8:43 am

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried using a mask and doing it outside but a standard dust mask didn't do the trick. I was considering using a proper painters mask which would hopefully let zero fumes in to my throat/lungs. When I seal the decals it is a lot easier with a spray can as the first coat needs to be so light to just seal the ink onto the decal paper. This is easier to control plus you get a more even spread with a spray can. I've tried to paint a varnish on but in 3 attempts it always made the ink colours run from the decal.

Whilst searching the internet today I did stumble across the Vallejo's matte varnish and it has a lot less chemicals in it than the Testors Dullcote so I think I'll give that a go.

I'm meeting my doctor this week so I'll see if I can get any good advice from them, see if they think it definitely is the spray causing the irritation etc

Thanks for replaying
Flacktron

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby Flacktron » October 16th, 2019, 8:47 am

Also do either of you know of a good matt varnish for painting on? I definitely want to cut my spraying use down to a minimum so will paint the figure at the end in varnish and just save the spraying for the decals
Flacktron

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby Anderas » October 16th, 2019, 12:14 pm

Spraying paint is always... difficult if I don't want to say dangerous.
Paints are made of microparticles (which makes them matte), color (which is usually toxic) and a supporting medium, acrylic, enamel, terpentine with oil or whatever (which is usually cancerous).

So if you paint with a brush... you have virtually no contact until it is hard and then there are no worries. And if you have contact, the contact is minimum. Even if you lick your brush, there is no problem because the amount involved is minuscule... I let my daughter paint what she wants, no problem.

Spraying is different. You use a lot more paint, the droplets you create are ideally mini small, say, they get roughly the size of that famously dangerous fine dust. Everything that get's in the air, will stay there for a while instead of sinking down. You're breathing it. It will paint your nose and lungs from the inside. That's not good.
Spraypainting outside is a good idea, ideally when humidity is high and there is a little bit (little! bit) of wind.

Easiest solution is: Wear a face mask! Always, when using spraypaint, use a face mask.
Second best solution is to paint varnish on with a brush, as you might accidentally destroy your inkjet print with the brush.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » October 16th, 2019, 1:04 pm

I am not understanding what is the use of the inkjet printer for..?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » October 16th, 2019, 2:22 pm

he prints his own decals on decal paper

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Flacktron » October 17th, 2019, 8:57 am

Great advice and thanks for the replies. This might sound a stupid question but do you have any tips on applying the varnish onto the decal after its printed? I'm guessing I was a little heavy handed when I tried, the colours began to run almost instantly even though I'd let the image dry for 2 days. Would you load the brush and just let the varnish touch the decal or would you just apply a little varnish at a time with a very soft brush stroke? Living in the UK the weather will be pants now for at least 5 months (if not 12 haha) so I won't be able to spray outside much and I don't have a garage
Flacktron

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby Flacktron » October 17th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Applying the varnish with a brush onto the decal sheet I meant
Flacktron

Skeleton
Skeleton