• Advertisement

[POLL] are there more EUR or NA Heroquesters?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Wich version of Heroquest do you play with?

European version
38%
North American Version
62%

Total votes : 29

Re: [POLL] are there more EUR or NA Heroquesters?

Postby wallydubbs » Monday November 4th, 2019 10:41am

I understand all that, but it wasn't really my question... Unless you're saying EU rules can't be implemented onto the US game system, only vice versa. And I understand and respect that if that's how you view it.
But looking at the discussion and everyone's thoughts, we all seem to play a version with rules from each.
So I ask again: at what point does the game become more American or more European? I play with multiple body points for monsters and Chaos spells, and the heroes can sell stuff back to the armory. However I'm also using g European equipment and Treasure cards, as well as counting traps secret doors as 1 search.
Is the determining factor which version of the board I have? I have one of each...
wallydubbs

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Postby The Admiral » Monday November 4th, 2019 1:05pm

wallydubbs wrote:I understand all that, but it wasn't really my question... Unless you're saying EU rules can't be implemented onto the US game system, only vice versa. And I understand and respect that if that's how you view it.
But looking at the discussion and everyone's thoughts, we all seem to play a version with rules from each.
So I ask again: at what point does the game become more American or more European? I play with multiple body points for monsters and Chaos spells, and the heroes can sell stuff back to the armory. However I'm also using g European equipment and Treasure cards, as well as counting traps secret doors as 1 search.
Is the determining factor which version of the board I have? I have one of each...

Yeah, I'm not really sure. I THINK I'm playing more NA, but maybe that is just because I play with a NA Heroquest. But the set we play with at my brother's is my original EU set. It has been so long that I actually consulted either rule book, coz I just know what I'm doing now. I don't think it really matters as long as everyone playing is happy with their version. But I think you are right, most people tend to play with a mix plus their own house rules. That is certainly me.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
The Admiral

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » Monday November 4th, 2019 3:57pm

Of course NA is adaptable to UK and vice versa. They are the same game. There is only one Heroquest. The Americans just increased one number on the monster cards, and clarified the instances in the original game rules that were were a bit vague. It’s one single game system, just with a tiny bit more fleshing out in the American version.

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » Wednesday November 6th, 2019 12:46pm

I found this topic to be very helpful in fleshing out some of the differences between the American and European versions of the game: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2721

Some of the differences I wasn't even aware of, but I was able to mark out which rules I go by under different aspects and which rules I play most often.
In some cases, such as each hero gets to search a room once, I have house rules that completely override the text in both versions.
The are instances, usually in regards to potions, the NA rules win by default because the EU version, apparently, makes no mention of it.
Some rules I find the middle ground in: in EU when traps are identified they're placed on the board, but only pointed out in the NA rules. I generally mark them with a skull tile when the heroes identify them. Also the Dwarf goes by American rules in trap disarm, unless he buys a Toolkit, at which point I defer to EU rules.

So I checked through and found that I follow 7 European rules to 18 NA. In 4 cases I do neither and 2 I follow both. So I play the game 70% North American.
wallydubbs

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)

Previous

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion