• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Chaos spell: Command

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Chaos spell: Command

Postby Jalapenotrellis » August 18th, 2019, 11:57 pm

I played Quest 12 for the first time today. Unfortunately command did not land at all. The dwarf I cast it on immediately broke the spell.

However, if I land the spell, I have been looking around the forum here and see that there is a similar thread in the rule section but not in the official rule section. Is the official rule for this that the Hero is under control by Zargon and can you use all his potions and him block heroes from entering a doorway? What about traps? Can I search for treasure and trigger traps on purpose? What about opening doors? Can I surround the hero with monsters and have the monsters attack my commanded hero?

Has anyone ever had the spell land on The Wizard? I would think it would be a waste of the cast from a probability standpoint, considering the dwarf got out of it before I could even use it.

I feel there are so many questions with this spell.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Chaos spell: Command

Postby wallydubbs » August 19th, 2019, 3:28 pm

Such scenarios aren't answered by the instruction booklet, so inevitably it comes down to the Evil Wizard to answer. However I do believe a certain rational is required to confront these questions before answering.

I would say, yes Zargon may force the hero to drink his own potions (or smash them against the ground if he chooses). The concept of heroes passing through eachother relies on allowance. So Zargon may use that hero to black the door, since Zargon is controlling the hero, he doesn't have to give consent to let the hero pass. This is why Veil of Mist has the effect it does, monsters aren't going to kindly let you pass them.
I suppose you can search for traps, I don't see why you would when you already know where they are. But yes, by all means, walk that hero into a trap, intentionally trigger it and make him take the damage. That hero is under mind control and will do what you tell him at risk to himself. Make him drop all has equipment, walk into a group of monsters naked and let them attack him without defense.
Sure, have him disarm a trap if you feel like being contrary.
All that being said, however, I draw the line on spells. Despite being allowed to do every other action while under command, I personally feel the hero needs to be in the right mental state to cast a spell. Of course, there is no game rule to this (unless you strictly follow what the spell card says, that Zargon may use the hero as a monster, and attack other heroes. Since it specifies attack, this would negate all other action options, he wouldn't even be able to open doors, since monsters can't), but I'd house rule with that logic and allow all physical control over the hero.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lordneg » October 19th, 2019, 1:50 pm

What about if you did control the wizard, or elf, you could use him to cast a chaos spell that the monster may have? If you would not let them cast their own spells. they can still be used as a conduit for the winds of magic since they are attuned to magic.
lordneg

Hero:

Postby lestodante » October 19th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Ahhh good idea and... evil!

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » October 19th, 2019, 2:31 pm

lordneg wrote:What about if you did control the wizard, or elf, you could use him to cast a chaos spell that the monster may have? If you would not let them cast their own spells. they can still be used as a conduit for the winds of magic since they are attuned to magic.

For me, once again, I wouldn't allow any spells (chaos or otherwise) to be cast by the hero under command, I think it would take a degree of mental stability to cast any spells. Zargon would only be physically controlling the character; spells go beyond a physical action... but that's just me.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Pancho » October 19th, 2019, 3:38 pm

wallydubbs wrote:
lordneg wrote:What about if you did control the wizard, or elf, you could use him to cast a chaos spell that the monster may have? If you would not let them cast their own spells. they can still be used as a conduit for the winds of magic since they are attuned to magic.

For me, once again, I wouldn't allow any spells (chaos or otherwise) to be cast by the hero under command, I think it would take a degree of mental stability to cast any spells. Zargon would only be physically controlling the character; spells go beyond a physical action... but that's just me.

I like your reasoning here. I think it’s a good rule of thumb to not allow a mind controlled Character to be forced to cast a spell, and I’ll adopt it from now on.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » October 19th, 2019, 3:42 pm

On quest 14 it didn't land either (the dwarf seems spell resistant), and I've ruled that it is just as the card says: move and attack. It doesn't say move and an action.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » October 20th, 2019, 3:43 pm

wallydubbs wrote:For me, once again, I wouldn't allow any spells (chaos or otherwise) to be cast by the hero under command, I think it would take a degree of mental stability to cast any spells. Zargon would only be physically controlling the character; spells go beyond a physical action... but that's just me.

Yeah.. this is also correct! Maybe better this interpretation.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » October 20th, 2019, 4:07 pm

Pretty clear on the card to the rules. "can move the hero as a monster and attack other Heroes" That's no search, trigger traps or open doors. Due to wording, It could be argued that an attack spell is an attack, it could also be argued that the Hero moved himself as normal in his own turn but monsters don't search, trigger traps or open doors.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » October 20th, 2019, 6:10 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:Pretty clear on the card to the rules. "can move the hero as a monster and attack other Heroes" That's no search, trigger traps or open doors. Due to wording, It could be argued that an attack spell is an attack, it could also be argued that the Hero moved himself as normal in his own turn but monsters don't search, trigger traps or open doors.

I like this too. Seems pretty clear when you put it that way that they are "as a monster." However, that could also mean we can attack with their equipment, and we can position them in a negative way for more damage later. Both are very strong.
It also is another take control away from the character spell, similar to tempest, sleep, fear, all good because of that aspect.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Official Rules