• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

New Card Ideas (WIP)

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

New Card Ideas (WIP)

Postby JCool » August 15th, 2019, 12:50 pm

I have been tinkering with some new card ideas to help enhance the core HQ game (but not necessarily replace it). Below are the text for the new cards thus far (WIP, I'll be updating this thread with more as I have them ready). (Sorry for the state of the below list, I'm trying to figure out how to indent the text but it's not making its way through to the final post. )

All feedback is welcome - let me know what you think. Also, feel free to use these in your games as you see fit.

Equipment

Boots of Agility (cost: 500g)
-When rolling for defense, if you roll more shields as a defender than skulls rolled by the attacker, you may move to an unoccupied adjacent space

Boots of Superior Agility (cost: 750g)
-When rolling for defense, if you roll more shields as a defender than skulls rolled by the attacker, you may move up to the amount of spaces equal to the difference in skulls vs. shields rolled (e.g. the attacker rolls 1 skull and defender rolls 3 shields, the defender wearing these boots can move up to 2 spaces)

Locksmith Kit of Doom (cost: 125g)
-You may lock any door that you are adjacent to in the dungeon, monsters cannot open locked doors
-You may remove the lock from the door if you are adjacent to it. Doing so damages the lock and prevents future use
-One time use item

Spells

Circling Winds
-Cast on a monster to stun them for 1 turn
-Chance to hit additional targets beyond the first stunning them for 1 turn
-First additional target: Roll 2 white dice for each nearby monster, 1 skulls needed per target in the room/hallway to stun them for 1 turn
-All additional targets: Roll 2 white dice for each nearby monster, 2 skulls needed per target in the room/hallway to stun them for 1 turn
-Note: Monsters cannot move/attack/defend or take any other actions while stunned

Rolling Flame
-Target a monster, roll 1 white die for damage against the monster
-First additional target (as long as previous target was hit): Roll 1 white die for damage
-Chance to hit additional targets beyond the first
-Monsters cannot roll for defense (perhaps allow them to roll for defense and have spellcaster roll additional white dice to up the odds in their favor of at least a couple hits)

Tornado
-Cast a swirling tornado that throws all monsters in the current room or hallway to another nearby space
-Hits all monsters in a hallway or room that the spellcaster is in
-Roll 1 D6 to determine which direction a monster gets thrown by the tornado
-1: Up
-2: Right
-3: Down
-4: Left
-5/6: No effect

Reveal (addition to the Detection spell family)
-Reveal all traps and hidden doors in an exposed area of the board
-Note: Hero does not need to have line of sight to the area in order to cast this spell

Treasure Deck

Jeweled Sword Hilt
-Hiding behind some loose stones you find a sword hilt embossed with fancy jewels that surely belonged to a wealthy noble
-Value: 75 gold

Merchant Deck (the idea behind this deck of cards is that they are not full treasures, more mere trinkets that may or may not be good. Some are also cursed)

Dusty Old Lamp
-Player finds a mysterious, dusty lamp with feint lettering on the side. Rubbing the lettering off causes a swirl of smoke to encompass the player before transporting the player to an unknown spot on the board.
-Roll 2 red movement dice, count the rooms on the board available in the quest and instantly transport to the room matching the rolled result
-Lamp disappears afterwards

Embroidered Scarf (cursed item)
-Player puts on the embroidered scarf, but immediately realizes it's made of uncomfortable woof fabric causing 1 body point of damage
-Scarf is cheap and immediately disintegrates afterwards
-Some items are better left at home

Gaudy Buckler (cursed item)
-You find a "fabulous" belt buckle to accent your adventurer attire. Buckler creates the wrong kind of attention and draws all monsters towards it
-You immediately think better of it and discard the buckler
-Effect persists for 2 turns

Map
-Reveal the location of the quest objective on the game board
-One time use item

Weapons

Bolas (cost: 50 gold)
-Thrown bolas at a monster to incapacitate it - monster cannot move for 3 turns
-Monster will break free after 3 turns, at which point the bolas is broken
-Monster attacks with 1 less combat die but not fewer than 1; can defend as normal
-Bolas can be recovered after monster has been defeated if not broken
-Note: Players can hold up to 2 Bolas weapons
-If more than 5 spaces from a monster, roll 1 combat die to determine if the bolas hits or misses the monster
-Skulls hit, all other results miss
-Missed bolas shots have the bolas landing at the monster's feet where they can pick it up and use it against the heroes
JCool

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: New Card Ideas (WIP)

Postby Stig » August 15th, 2019, 2:53 pm

Thanks, some great ideas! Like the agility boots, somewhat similar to the "sidestep" skill in blood bowl and could be intriguing to use I'm sure.

When do you envisage the Merchant deck being used? Some rooms instead of the treasure deck?

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » August 15th, 2019, 5:32 pm

Ahhh excess shields, I remember an old thread when we were trying to write that up for a different rule but with as least words as possible.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby JCool » August 15th, 2019, 7:54 pm

Stig wrote:Thanks, some great ideas! Like the agility boots, somewhat similar to the "sidestep" skill in blood bowl and could be intriguing to use I'm sure.

When do you envisage the Merchant deck being used? Some rooms instead of the treasure deck?

I was thinking that the adventurers might meet a merchant peddling a few goods halfway into a dungeon. With every completed purchase (1 item or multiple) they would get to draw a card from the Merchant Deck. Maybe it's good, maybe it stinks; either way it's something a little extra :)

mitchiemasha wrote:Ahhh excess shields, I remember an old thread when we were trying to write that up for a different rule but with as least words as possible.

Yeah I haven't figured out the wording on all of the cards yet, some are way too wordy. In making proxy cards from the WoM expansion I've made them by hand and trimmed down the wording drastically so that it fits on a card when writing it out by hand. Simple is usually best - hoping to do that for the above as well once I settle on which ones make the cut.
JCool

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Stig » August 16th, 2019, 5:58 am

Maybe the merchant deck could be something that is looked at between quests?

I did something similar with the equipment deck, where l had things like the above goods mixed in with a custom equipment deck that 3 different qualities of every weapon (using coloured dice). It was a pretty large pile as there were more copies of low quality equipment. If the players wanted to visit a village they would draw the top 6 cards, a town the top 9 cards, city 12 cards etc; a village has less stuff but it's cheaper.

This type of thing avoids the problem of heroes equipping identically each time and increases repeatability.

I can't imagine a merchant peddling their goods in a dungeon. That's the last place they'd set up shop!

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby JCool » August 16th, 2019, 8:05 am

Stig wrote:Maybe the merchant deck could be something that is looked at between quests?

I did something similar with the equipment deck, where l had things like the above goods mixed in with a custom equipment deck that 3 different qualities of every weapon (using coloured dice). It was a pretty large pile as there were more copies of low quality equipment. If the players wanted to visit a village they would draw the top 6 cards, a town the top 9 cards, city 12 cards etc; a village has less stuff but it's cheaper.

This type of thing avoids the problem of heroes equipping identically each time and increases repeatability.

I can't imagine a merchant peddling their goods in a dungeon. That's the last place they'd set up shop!

If all my years of playing Zelda games has taught me anything, it's that merchants will setup shop in the most bizarre of places! :-P

Good feedback though - maybe the merchant deck is quest specific when the heroes need to go rescue a merchant or perhaps when a person of interest in a quest needs to give them a random item. Just something fun that's not necessarily a weapon or piece of armor.
JCool

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Stig » August 16th, 2019, 10:26 am

JCool wrote:maybe the merchant deck is quest specific when the heroes need to go rescue a merchant

How about using it as a custom Treasure Deck for a specific quest? If the mission is to rescue a merchant from their large palace which has been run over by the undead, searching for Treasure in that specific location would yield merchant-specific goods. It could add to the flavour of such a quest, instead of using the standard banks deck. Looking forward to seeing it now :D

Rewards:
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby JCool » August 18th, 2019, 2:06 pm

I really like that idea Stig - certain quests use this Merchant deck for treasure (or maybe have a chance to draw an extra card when searching for treasure and then pull from the merchant deck). I think the overall narrative of having it be linked to a quest objective makes sense -- you need to go rescue the Emperor's favorite merchant. It would make sense then as you search for treasure in the dungeon that you're drawing from this merchant deck - perhaps he dropped a bunch of things along the way? That way it would stand to reason that it would be trinkets you're finding instead of pure gold treasures.

I'll tweak it some more and see if I can put together a quest or two once I finish up the merchant deck - could definitely see some fun things coming from this.
JCool

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Return to Cards