• Advertisement

Quest 10: Castle of Mystery--monster movement

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Quest 10: Castle of Mystery--monster movement

Postby Jalapenotrellis » Friday August 2nd, 2019 2:04am

We played this one last weekend. One thing I ruled is that monsters could not go through the door because they could end up in a room that had not yet been discovered. I'm not sure if this is the best way to play it...I could have just taken them off the board and made a note of what room they were in in order to make them move again another turn... But that would also assume that the room doors were opened.

Another thing I wasn't sure about was attacking through the doors. I assume you would have to roll dice to attack through the door frame to see which portal it ended up in. as such, I ruled that we would not be attacking through doors in this quest because it could hit a player.

Additionally, if the ring of return is on one of the chaos warriors, assume he didn't die in that room, would the artifact still be found in that room? The quest is written as the monsters stay put. however if a monster was landed on and had body points left, he could be teleported to another room. It says that explicitly in the Quest.

Also, with the location of the mine, I had the Heroes search for treasure to discover it, but I'm not sure if it should have just been a thing revealed when they go into the room.

Edit: sorry for all the typos. Was doing speak to text on phone.
Jalapenotrellis

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Advertisement

Ye Olde Inn is proudly hosted by

Proudly Hosted by MDD Hosting

Host your Website at MDD Hosting by clicking the logo above and Ye Olde Inn will receive a commission that we'll put toward keeping Ye Olde Inn online for everyone to enjoy!

Re: Quest 10: Castle of Mystery--monster movement

Postby Maurice76 » Friday August 2nd, 2019 4:36am

When we did this quest, monsters weren't allowed to move through the portals - they were trapped, after all. The only situation would be if a monster got tele-fragged and warped through a portal, but I don't recall that happening while we played.

Attacking through a door was something none of us considered. We all implicitely assumed they were magical teleporters, that you couldn't partially move through (i.e. with no more than an arm with a weapon to make an attack through it); it was all-or-nothing when moving through it.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » Friday August 2nd, 2019 4:50am

So yes, we played the same as you, sounds like.
Jalapenotrellis

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Postby Anderas » Friday August 2nd, 2019 6:13am

I just assumed that there can be no line of sight through a door and played that way, so no shooting or fighting through the teleporters.

I tried only once to move monsters between the rooms, but gave up fast because it is as little targeted as with the heroes. In fact, I tried to telefrag a hero with a couple of goblins. It's not worth it. :-)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » Friday August 2nd, 2019 6:00pm

Anderas wrote:I just assumed that there can be no line of sight through a door and played that way, so no shooting or fighting through the teleporters.

I tried only once to move monsters between the rooms, but gave up fast because it is as little targeted as with the heroes. In fact, I tried to telefrag a hero with a couple of goblins. It's not worth it. :-)

Especially if there's that rule where you can only teleport once per turn. Unfortunately I forgot to enforce that, so they just lost one movement per teleport since crossing a threshold is usually one movement square. It's actually not a bad strategy with goblins considering they can't hit anybody with their low attack and defend to try to telefrag onto heros for a guaranteed -1 bp.
Jalapenotrellis

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Postby wallydubbs » Monday August 5th, 2019 11:46am

I played mine a little bit differently: I did allow monsters to teleport from room to room along with the heroes (once they've been laid on the board). I did not allow attacks between doors.

It started out with the Barbarian searching for traps and running to the door, in which I said, "inside the room you see a black swirling vortex." He hesitated and chose not to enter. The Dwarf only rolled 2 so couldn't make it, but searched for Secret Doors. My cousin, playing as the Elf, chose to go in. So I grabbed the Elf figurine, mimicked a fading scream and removed him from the board. I turned to my cousin and said "Roll the movement dice."
We were playing with the house rule of only one Treasure card per room. Room #8 could be searched, but I used a trap door tile from Keller's Keep to simulate the entrance of the mine.

Originally the Dwarf found the gold but had to put it down. The Elf was next to find it, but he too lost it along the way.
It made things more exciting as once the Wizard had the gold, he stood by hiding in the middle room while all the other heroes jumped around the board to clear out monsters, so the Wizard would have free passage back to the stairwell. There was a goblin, an orc and a Choas Warrior jumping between rooms as well. There was one room that had yet to be explored and my orc ended up going there, and it was filled with undead. For my gameplay undead and greenskins don't mix (unless there's a Necromancer guiding the undead. So, after taking the orc off the board (I did not reveal the room to the heroes), I simulated a combat roll for a skeleton attacking the orc. My cousin (playing the Wizard) said "Did something just kill your orc?" They started getting nervous not knowing what was in the last room.
Eventually the Elf found his way to that room while the Barbarian killed the Choas Warrior, my goblin found the Wizard in the middle room (who got away on his next turn) and the Dwarf was the first to make it to the stairwell.
This group (my brother and cousins) are rather clever when playing. They would've known right off the bat that there's no way they were walking out with 5,000 gold, so I changed it to 2,000, which was much more believable. The same rules applied with the gold, though.

Also the rules weren't very clear as to whether a hero's turn ends as soon as they teleport, so I had them roll a combat dice as well. If they rolled a skull after teleporting they are disoriented and their turn ends. If any type of shield was rolled they could continue with their movement and action.
wallydubbs

Storm Master
Storm Master

Postby Jalapenotrellis » Monday August 5th, 2019 2:12pm

In the quest notes, the first paragraph stated that you can only teleport once per turn, but I missed this too until rereading it later, so my heroes only lost one movement space every jump as would normally have when walking through doors.
Jalapenotrellis

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Return to Official Rules